Hi, I am just posting a video clip for the sake of it but also incase anyone has random comments they happen to throw out (don't feel obliged lol).

For example I just realised the guitar strap goes around the shoulder and not right around my neck, lol.

I also just learnt that its highly advisable to practice standing up if you want to be able to play standing up, so just started to do that. Also alternate picking lol.

I have practiced the start of this for many many hours but I still can't even do it 99% of the time. Would you say go much slower or just keep trying at this sort of speed and once I learn the pattern better I can focus on pressing the notes cleaner?

Its a bit scary when you do the same thing over and over for many hours and seem to make literally zero progress with muscle memory. By comparison I feel like I must find piano muscle memory to be relatively easy.

I have found that just repeating the same 3-5 notes over and over is way more effective than trying to repeating a phrase/few bars so I will continue my practice doing this instead of getting carried away trying to do more than 5 notes at a time coz I just don't seem to be making progress doing that.

My fingers have toughened up a bit now so I'm starting to do Hotel California chords + strumming pattern (strumming is hard too yo!).

Anyway clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0h6RcwaoQ
6 days of practice is ground zero.

You have to reset your expectation meter.

Just relax into it and have fun. Enjoy practicing and accept what comes as it comes.

Make the guitar your friend. Hang out with your new friend and have fun. No pressure to "get there". There is no "there". You never get "there".
Quote by percydw
Hi, I am just posting a video clip for the sake of it but also incase anyone has random comments they happen to throw out (don't feel obliged lol).

For example I just realised the guitar strap goes around the shoulder and not right around my neck, lol.

I also just learnt that its highly advisable to practice standing up if you want to be able to play standing up, so just started to do that. Also alternate picking lol.

I have practiced the start of this for many many hours but I still can't even do it 99% of the time. Would you say go much slower or just keep trying at this sort of speed and once I learn the pattern better I can focus on pressing the notes cleaner?

Its a bit scary when you do the same thing over and over for many hours and seem to make literally zero progress with muscle memory. By comparison I feel like I must find piano muscle memory to be relatively easy.

I have found that just repeating the same 3-5 notes over and over is way more effective than trying to repeating a phrase/few bars so I will continue my practice doing this instead of getting carried away trying to do more than 5 notes at a time coz I just don't seem to be making progress doing that.

My fingers have toughened up a bit now so I'm starting to do Hotel California chords + strumming pattern (strumming is hard too yo!).

Anyway clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0h6RcwaoQ

I don't want to discourage you, but you haven't even been playing for that long. 6 days is literally nothing in guitar world. For 6 days though it doesn't seem that bad, but I think you need a little bit more structure. A lot of people get into the habit of wanting to play lead because they want to play all the cool solos they listen to.

Well i'm here to inform you that you won't be able to play those cool solos if you can't play rhythm. Here I'll recommend you a good course to take since you're a beginner it teaches you all the fundamentals. Remember you can't build a strong foundation if there's nothing to build on, and that's what the basics are. You can't hop straight to the advance things because the advance things are just doing the basic things really well!

Go through this course you won't regret it. It lays a solid foundation that will forever stay in your playing helping you to understand learning on your own better..

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

^^^^^ Course
Quote by Black_devils
I don't want to discourage you, but you haven't even been playing for that long. 6 days is literally nothing in guitar world. For 6 days though it doesn't seem that bad, but I think you need a little bit more structure. A lot of people get into the habit of wanting to play lead because they want to play all the cool solos they listen to.

Well i'm here to inform you that you won't be able to play those cool solos if you can't play rhythm. Here I'll recommend you a good course to take since you're a beginner it teaches you all the fundamentals. Remember you can't build a strong foundation if there's nothing to build on, and that's what the basics are. You can't hop straight to the advance things because the advance things are just doing the basic things really well!

Go through this course you won't regret it. It lays a solid foundation that will forever stay in your playing helping you to understand learning on your own better..

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Pretty much this. You've been playing 6 days... That's literally nothing. You haven't even dipped your feet in the water. You haven't even reached the pool yet. You don't even know where the pool is.
Iam learning 5 months and I still stink lol,I practice standing and siting I keep the guiatr strap on even while I sit and play and follow Justin learn chords and the notes on the fret borad
I just have to say, I listened to the piece you're trying to play and in all honesty you're being way over-ambitious...you're probably a year off being able to tackle something like that.

The problem is you're trying to do a whole of stuff you're simply not ready to learn yet. Lets take bending for examples, bending is something you do to a note you've fretted, that's the most basic description. However you can't make effective use of bending until you're fretting and picking notes cleanly on a fairly consistent basis. At the moment you've kind of put yourself in a position of trying to learn everything at once, and that's not a particulary effective route to progress.

The reason you're not seeing a lot of progress is because the roadmap for that song is huge for someone at your level, it's simply not a realistic goal to set yourself at ground zero. The Justin guitar course people have linked is an excellent resource, at this stage the thing to do is set yourself realistic short term goals. At 6 days you probably can't even play an A chord consistently yet, now is the time to work on the basics and make sure you have a good strong foundation to build on when it's time to tackle more complicated things.

I'd say that even hotel California may be a bit of a stretch, ideally you want to get a few simple songs boxed off and go on from there. Learning a whole song from start to finish is a skill in itself, if you get into the habit early it'll again help with getting through longer, more complex songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree with pretty much everything above. Start simple, don't set your expectations so high, concentrate on rhythm before you worry about lead. Practice sitting, there's plenty time to worry about standing later once you can actually play. I rarely practice standing, except at band practice when my stool runs out of padding...Onstage I do it standing up all night, all I have to do is warm up for a few minutes and I'm adjusted to the difference. Adjust your guitar strap so it hangs at about the same level, there is little difference anyway.

Pick some simple songs to start off with. 3 chords, maybe 4, but keep it simple at first. If you're trying to learn Hotel California, go for something simpler like Peaceful Easy Feelin or Dylan's Knockin on Heaven's Door. Keeping in that style of songs, just about anything by CCR. Work on just the rhythm parts, you'll have years to worry about lead later, but you need to be a good rhythm player before you tackle lead, you need to know where the chord progression is going before it gets there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Mar 14, 2015,
Chasing cars by Snow Patrol is good as there's a very simply riff thought out the whole song and you can work on your alternate picking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XaKr98ktoxU
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by Virgman
6 days of practice is ground zero.

You have to reset your expectation meter.

Just relax into it and have fun. Enjoy practicing and accept what comes as it comes.

Make the guitar your friend. Hang out with your new friend and have fun. No pressure to "get there". There is no "there". You never get "there".

Exactly this.
thanks everyone for your replies and encouragement.

i'll have a look at justin guitar soon.

CCR are really my thing, nice suggestion! i dont know many artists/musics at all so suggestions are cool

i actually dont like that cold play song it makes me want to stab someone
Last edited by percydw at Mar 14, 2015,
6 days in dude this isn't Guitar Hero and as others have stated you are try to play way above your level. this will just lead to major frustration and most often quiting.

now for a piece of advice. you want to learn to double pick well first you have to learn to hold the pick right. just from the video i can see you are using way to much of the pick to be effective at double picking. your hand needs to rest on the bridge some not be all the way out like that either. all the leads in my songs (link in profile) are double picked. when i was learning back in the dinosaur days that was the way that was taught. now thee are many different methods used. you want the pick to just get past the string when going up or down the least amount possible. this will increase speed and accuracy but it will also take time. as i mentioned before i have 35 years of playing in and still have a lot to learn and i'm not all that good. patience is a virtue when learning to play guitar.
Hello!! I actually didn't want to suggest anything to you at first because I'm not that good at guitar, but I think it is safe to say that I'm no longer an absolute beginner so I may be able to give you few hints. I say that despite of playing for less than a week, at least you've shown the courage to play something and I couldn't do anything that you've done here even in the first month when I started out.

If you want to learn by yourself then just one advice for you which is, being able to play something nice will make you feel better every time you pick up your guitar. You should start with the simple songs that can be played with only couple of basic chords. Get some basic chords down at first and then on YouTube search for the beginner song lessons taught by Marty Schwartz. Justin Sandercoe also has some very good stuffs for the ones who just started to play. I believe if you can play few tunes on your guitar then you'll enjoy playing your instrument. And later try to play the songs of your favorite artists.

Suggestion of taking the beginner course of 'justinguitar' have already been made by Black_devils and steven seagull which I think you should seriously take a look at that.
+ 1 what Luminance is saying

Those early days can be difficult for everyone but you went and posted a video which takes something as so few are doing it in those very early stages.

Get into some simple chords and a metronome to tighten up your playing. It makes you learn faster and timing + accurately so that it even if only know very little it will sound good.

You can get along way with a few 1-3 chords and a metronome.

Guitar playing is all about habits! Once you are into the habit it is there in your mind. So always practise and focus on your weak spots. Weak spots are those where you lack in playing.

Developing your hands is essential early on and that they are in sync with each other. Look for some legato and picking/strum techniques.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Mar 16, 2015,