Hey guys, I'm Bassing for a Sandberg, has anyone played them? What's the quality like compared to others in their pricepoint? It's a lot to spend on a bass without playing it, but I saw the words "Germany Quality" and that got me interested, has anyone played them? What do you think? I'm looking at the higher end ones, but the basic ones have me interested also.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I haven't tried them but I was looking at these (online) recently and that "German Quality" thing got me a bit suspicious. Normally it says "Made in Wherever" if it's actually made there.

I think they, at least the cheaper ones, are made from Korean parts and just assembled in Germany (a bit like Duesenberg I guess).

proof: http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/sandberg-electra-m4-bass-guitar-high-gloss-redburst.html (Assuming that's correct, lol- it's in the product overview)

I dunno if the dearer ones are the same or not. They do look very nice, to be fair.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 13, 2015,
The German ones are handbuilt in Germany IIRC.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The German ones are made in Germany and are very very nice. The basic ones are built in Korea and IIRC are set up and QC'd at the German facility. I haven't tried the imports yet but I've heard good things, and there's always been some really nice stuff coming out of those Korean factories
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I wouldn't bother getting the Korean ones if you can afford the German models.

Not that the Korean made models aren't great instruments but their feel is quite different from the German made ones IMHO.

EDIT:
The quality control was a bit shoddy on the two Electra TT4 was a bit shocking for Sandberg's QC.

This is a just little sample of what you can get with the MiK instruments.

The finish on the body of was orange peeled and checked. (Electra 1)
6in gap between the fretboard and neck. (Electra 2)
Sharp fret ends at the 7th-15th frets(Electra 1)
Dead zones 12th-17th on D and G strings. (Electra 1)
Cracked pickguard mounting holes. (Both Electras)

The California VM5 Supreme on the other hand flawless besides the string height and neck relief issues.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Mar 14, 2015,
Hey, Fish -- check out AC Guitars' basses.
http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/

One-man shop based in Scotland. Unquestionable build quality, stunning woods, some very advanced bass pickups and preamps. Alan builds from the raw wood up. No questions about what bits were built in Korea or Mexico or Indonesia, etc., and *assembled* in his shop.

I use him as a touchstone for judging basses, both more and less expensive. My best bass at the moment is a Carvin 5-string w. active pickups, but if there's ever a hint that I will play more bass (or in better venues) than I am at the moment, he gets a call. Or, of course, if I win a lottery... <G>
^ Yeah I've come across those in my online trawling before. Never tried them but they look pretty nice. I think maybe one or two people on the fretboard forum have them?

Tostitos/Dark Mass: Where do the Korean models end and the German ones start? It's not terribly clear from the website
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
Hey, Fish -- check out AC Guitars' basses.
http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/

One-man shop based in Scotland. Unquestionable build quality, stunning woods, some very advanced bass pickups and preamps. Alan builds from the raw wood up. No questions about what bits were built in Korea or Mexico or Indonesia, etc., and *assembled* in his shop.

I use him as a touchstone for judging basses, both more and less expensive. My best bass at the moment is a Carvin 5-string w. active pickups, but if there's ever a hint that I will play more bass (or in better venues) than I am at the moment, he gets a call. Or, of course, if I win a lottery... <G>

Sounds good, the Sandberg is fourhundred less though...
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ they have a graft series that starts at about £800 IIRC. minimal choice in spec and fancy woods/electronics etc. but (presumably) built to a similar quality.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ they have a graft series that starts at about £800 IIRC. minimal choice in spec and fancy woods/electronics etc. but (presumably) built to a similar quality.

I can't seem to see it on the website.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah it seems to be gone. I checked it pretty recently and it was there. Maybe they've stopped doing them.

They still have the for sale graft section, but no basses in it: http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/available-now/graft-basses/
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Tostitos/Dark Mass: Where do the Korean models end and the German ones start? It's not terribly clear from the website

The Electra series is their Korean line the others IIRC are German.

Also the Korean made model lack the four dot inlay on the body.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Sandberg basses have a fine reputation, but you rarely ever see them in the U.S.A. I do not know if they have a regular distributor over here. They seem to be a Europe-only brand, like Clover

I'd like to try a Suhr, but no one around here carries them, either:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
They're a well built instrument with OK quality timber on the Fender-esque models. In terms of feel not really my thing.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by dark Mass

Excellent, thanks.

That's pretty handy if the four dot inlay on the body tells you. I like it when it's easy to differentiate between models.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dark Mass

Awesome! An easy way to tell. Thanks!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100