Hey GG&A, I recently asked about a multitrack looper, but I thought I should also get a drum machine too, for playing post-rock and soundscapes/ambience music. I recently saw Mylets play live on youtube and he was doing some very cool things, and This Will Destroy You is a post-rock band that uses some Electronic drum sounds. Those are a couple inspirations for me.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a drum machine and looper pedal, or a phrase looper, something like an Alesis SR-16, and a Boss RC-300, or a Korg looper of some sort. I don't know anything really about drum machines, and only a littlw bit about loopers. I have a TCE Ditto, but I'd like to upgrade to something more robust.

I'd like to spend no more than $300 a piece, and used is better.

Thanks guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Mar 13, 2015,
You need to record the drums into the looper or you won't be able to keep them in sync over multiple loops. You should be able to get a used drum machine for under $100. The G3 has a synced looper and rudimentary drum machine. The GNX4 has an 8 track recorder/looper that syncs to a full blown midi drum machine. It's not a very good multifx but perhaps you could just turn off all modeling and fx and use it strictly as a synced looper/drum machine with storage.
Look up Boss Dr. Rhythm, 660 and up, used. I have the 880 and it is a great drum machine, very versatile. Not sure how is it for live performance where you want to extend something, I usually program mine and you can do everything with it for.

The Alesis is OK but can't do tempo changes within a song which is a big no-no for me. Performance is good and you can buy a pedal and program two beats, A/B of every patch with two fills and do them with a switch, which might be better for performance but the lack of tempo change on a song program is a deal breaker for me.

The BEat Buddy is a new product that you might want to look into:
https://duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg=http%3A%2F%2Fmybeatbuddy.com%2F