I own an Ibanez prestige RGD2127fx with a 26.5" scale and its an amazing guitar in every way. However Ive noticed that when tuning it, it takes quite a bit of turning to notice or see a pitch change, and then goes out of tune.

Ive theorized that the strings are getting "stuck" in the nut.

I Use a really accurate tuner through cubase. When i tune it to pitch, i can bend the string either before or after the nut, check the pitch and it is much higher than it was. this means there is tension being caught by the nut. Its not getting lower as if stretched, but higher due to being caught.

I did up the gauge of the strings a bit, but not all that much.

Stock strings are .010/.013/.017/.026/.036/.046/.059.

I upgraded to D'addario .10-.52 with a .64 on the end. I tune to drop Ab which is actually a little higher than they ship it on all strings but the lowest string (A standard).

Im going to have a shop set it up this weekend, should i tell them to widen or lube the nut? I cant image ill ever want smaller strings, if anything bigger.

Thanks in advance guys!
(signature removed, please choose another)
You can just take a pencil and rub some graphite in the slots. But the best solution is just getting a Tusq nut from Graphtec. They make Ibanez spec nuts no cutting required.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If they are a good shop with a good tech then you shouldnt have to tell them what to do. Tell them what the problem is and let them tell you what they need to fix. try the graphite. if that works, great. If not let the tech figure it out. It is good to have an idea as to what you think the problem is, it can keep you from getting ripped off. But the reputation of the shop, tech, is important.
what up stig?!! stigs the man. His advice has been pretty solid in my experience. He always helps a brother out with info.
Same^ lol. Its a great local shop, no way ill be getting ripped off and the setups ive gotten in the past have always been perfect. Although i dont know how good they are about actually modding a nut and such.

Would it make sense to have to file a nut after upgrading string gauge though?

Also, seriously? Just any ole pencil? This guitar is my baby, that would be like telling someone to clean their Ferrari's engine bay with coca cola lmao.
Also from the tusq Website:

"We use Black TUSQ XL on all our high end Prestige & Premium Ibanez guitars and basses. We selected Black TUSQ XL because of its superior tone and tuning stability." Yuki Ozawa - Ibanez.

So im pretty sure mine actually already has one lol.
Graphite is a natural lubricant. There's also stuff called "Nut Sauce" from Big Bends that does the same thing more or less. I'm surprised though if you do have a Tusq nut that it's catching. Maybe it is the thicker strings just not able to move properly through the slot. In which case you need to get it filed and widened out. Is it with all strings or just one? Ibby nuts should take a 10-52 set at least, not sure about a 64 though.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah its all of them, in fact the .64 I notice it the least on.

Thats what im thinking, although this phenomenon doesn't usually happen when playing, the pitch is mostly a bit lowered after a song or two.

But when tuning if i bend a string after bringing it to pitch, it can get noticeably higher.