I'm thinking (quite strongly) of buying another guitar, a hollowbody (or semi) to be specific.

Information -

My budget isn't great, in fact it's terrible and I think I might have to sell some stuff to pay for a new guitar. anyway, it resides around the $500 AU mark at the moment

I'd like something that can stay sweet when I'm playing clean but doesn't mind a little distortion, I want the bite you get from a gained up hollowbody.

preferences - needs a cutaway, would prefer double cutaway but that's optional, would really prefer non-pointy cutaway (a la ES-175). slim neck profile (I'm not neck profile name savvy) and humbuckers preferable but not essential.

New or used, don't care, used sometimes means string change, can also mean it's already been set up.

I'm in Australia, specifically a town on the NSW/Vic border, It's equal distance between Melbourne and Canberra.

other stuff - current amp is a Laney CUB12R, also have a Gibson SG special and a high quality Telecaster copy (made by my uncle).

Current choice is a Hagstrom Viking or Epiphone dot but open wide to other suggestions.

EDIT: thinner body is also preferable because I have what appears to be a beer gut and thick guitars run away from me if I don't breathe in.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Mar 13, 2015,
I'd go for the Hagstrom over the Epiphone, personally. See if you can find a Hagstrom Deuce- that's a nice little double-cut. You might also see if you can find a used Reverend Manta Ray or Club King.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 13, 2015,
I would suggest an Ibanez AS73 or AS93, whatever fits your budget. They're an ES-335 style guitar, with 2 volume and 2 tone pots, and a 3 way pickup selector, and tune-o-matic style bridge. Don't knock it just because it says Ibanez, from what I heard, mainly online, they're pretty good.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/hb_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=2&cat_id=7&series_id=114&data_id=19&color=CL01
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I agree- the Ibanez semihollows are very nice for the price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I really like the look of that AS73, but I'm thinking I'll get an AS53 if I get an Ibanez, same thing but with only one tone and volume pot each and slightly different pickups.

actually I'm not liking the humbuckers in either of those really (ceramic, I've been told to avoid ceramic pickups) but I could always change them.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I had an AS 73 in trans blue. Nice guitar, sounded ok if a little on the bright side and my only real complaint was its size, I sit to play because Im a lazy bastard and it was just too tall. Lovely guitar though.
I'll throw in another vote for the AS73. I had one in trans red and it was definitely a great guitar. Played nice, but like dazza said it is a little on the bright side. Nothing turning the tone down didn't fix.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
What exactly do you mean by bright?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

It just had this treblyness to it. Not harsh, but ever so slightly like a tele sort of jangly but with a humbucker sound. Hard to explain. Theyre cheap ceramic magnet pickups so not much to expect. I suspect you could even drop 300k volume pots in it and solve the problem but it uses mini pots which are a pain in the ass to find even in 500k.

Otherwise its a great guitar. Like I said roll the tone off a bit and its fine.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I had an Epiphone DOT and it was a great semi-hollow and they are cheap used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have an Epi Dot now,Had an Ibby AS93.In my opinion the Ibanez looked better but did'nt feel quite as nice to play as the Epi.Frets felt a little scratchy and the guitar kinda felt cheap,Really loose volume and tone knobs.Not a big deal but it was just the impression i got.The Epi feels a little more solid imo.
I bet you've seen this question before.

You win!

Couple of comments:

There's no reason to avoid ceramic-magnet pickups.

They actually vary so widely in tone (easily as widely as AlnicoV or Alnico II) that you can't make a definitive statement about them in terms of sound. They produce more "magnetism" in a smaller package (and even that is a too-general statement) and they're less expensive to produce than most Alnico magnets, so you DO find them more often in cheaper guitars. And it's easier and cheaper to produce a high-output pickup with them, so you'll find them tied in with that crowd. But I have ceramic-magnet based pickups on some pretty expensive guitars as well (not aimed at metallistas) that are outstanding. You need to hear them in person to judge.

"Bright" pickups are in the ear of the beholder.

We live at a time when the current fashion in guitar sound tends toward dark, dank and muddy. Quite a number are playing guitars that overlap into bass guitar territory without the aid of an amp that will actually produce fundamentals in that territory, so they're listening to octave and higher harmonics of some really low notes. Most guitar players have never turned their tone controls counterclockwise and don't understand how a treble rolloff pot works, and there's a crowd that would rather swap a $200 set of pickups than learn.

In that view, pickups that have a wide range balanced sound are "bright." Worth noting that in the '70's, the search was FOR treble, and that custom guitars had active controls and switching that actively *boosted* treble. "Bright" simply depends on whose music you're listening to and whose sound you're trying to duplicate. One thing that's true -- I'd rather have a bright pickup that could be rolled off than a dank pickup that will never get bright if you want it. YMMV

Be careful how you evaluate guitars.

"Scratchy" frets don't start that way; a guitar that's been sitting for a while (particularly on the wall at a guitar store) will begin to show a bit of surface corrosion. Don't dismiss a guitar for that. A few minutes polishing up the frets can completely change how the guitar feels. I recently bought a guitar, sight unseen and used, that was undervalued because of the way it played and looked. The frets were scratchy, the strings were old (had stalactites) and had no stretch left, someone had dialed in a huge amount of relief with the truss rod, and the guitar had (for lack of a better word) boogers that felt, at first, like dings. I cleaned it up, polished the frets, changed the strings, and did a bit of setup work and discovered that it had a brand new set of expensive hand-wound pickups. Absolutely amazing guitar that a whole lot of folks passed on. I'm very grateful that they had no clue what they were looking at.
^ Wasn't digging ceramic pickups, btw. I'm just saying they aren't spectacular. And ceramic magnets are typically used in pickups with a bit more upper range bite to them. It also may have something to do with the fact that the AS73's body and tone block are made of maple and only the neck is mahogany.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Ok, in that case, bright is good for me. I should have myself an Ibanez AS 73 sometime in the future.

Cheers to all of you for replying and have a great day!
A poem.
Quote by yoman297