Talking about something you'd hear coming from Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc. Any recommendations? I need a really heavy sound. Currently using a peavey 6505+ with an esp ltd.
Some Marshall in a box, like AMT M1 preamp pedal and possibly Boss SD-1 or Tubescreamer variant for boosting it. Slayer and Megadeth were both big Marshall JCM800 users (and Slayer still is, Megadeth has moved on to newer Marshalls I think) so any pedal that mimics it well should be a good starting point.

A Pod will do too, its JCM800 emulation is quite decent.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
your 6505 should get you pretty close to an 80's thrash tone on its own. It might be a little too modern sounding though.

The Marshall in a box pedal suggestion is a good one, but most of them only do the JCM800 tone and you really want a boosted marshall tone.

A used POD XT/XT live would be a great tool and they run <$99 you can use just the FX without amp modeling if you want. A great versatile tool for any guitarist that will let you explore sounds
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by darkwolf291
Suhr Riot
Hands down best Marshall in a box I've found.

Doesn't nail the balls a JCM800 have, and they don't fill the room the way a real one does, but it's pretty damn close.

Looks pretty good Holy cow it's expensive, though. Will pick one up in a few weeks. So it'll give me a pretty close sound to old school thrash bands? What did they mainly use? Just the marshall amp or something?

Quote by Robbgnarly
your 6505 should get you pretty close to an 80's thrash tone on its own. It might be a little too modern sounding though.

Honestly I am so lost at which knobs to turn. So I should obviously stick to the lead switch and not the rythm, but what knobs should I turn up?
Without using an amp in the box/preamp type standalone, I'd try using a Boss SD-1 type OD on the rhythm channel with the gain up moderately. Gain 0 / Level max on the pedal and tone to taste. Probably cut mids out depending on what kind of sound you prefer/are looking for.

If you don't mind spending more the MXR M77 is basically an SD-1 that's better in every way. Quieter, larger range of control, more tone shaping options. I was able to get them to sound almost identical when I AB'd them (I used to have both, kept the MXR).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
overdrive pedal on crunch setting should do the trick easily. i have no roblem getting those types of tones from my Ultra with an overdrive.
Quote by Granata
Looks pretty good Holy cow it's expensive, though. Will pick one up in a few weeks. So it'll give me a pretty close sound to old school thrash bands? What did they mainly use? Just the marshall amp or something?

Honestly I am so lost at which knobs to turn. So I should obviously stick to the lead switch and not the rythm, but what knobs should I turn up?

Aye it should.
This is a Suhr Riot into a clean amp
https://soundcloud.com/frank-birkner/paradise-lost
For comparison, this is a boosted JCM800
https://soundcloud.com/frank-birkner/same-old-song-and-dance-wsolos

Quite similar sound
Best marshall sounding pedal I've found
As for the JCM800
Depends on the band.
First two metallica records were a JCM800 with a Rat

Most bands used a JCM800 with a tubescreamer

I boost my JCM with a King of Tone

Play with different ODs and see what you like
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 14, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
overdrive pedal on crunch setting should do the trick easily
+1

It can get really close with an overdrive and some time on the dials. I did this same exercise a while back on a non-plus and ended up getting closer quicker by starting with a slightly dull EQ then gradually raising the post and continuing to EQ stuff out. I think we ended up having the OD level at only about midway too. Gain/Drive to taste. This was at cone-shredding volume tho so YMMV.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
So I've been youtubing and I'm stuck between the suhr riot and the hot mod 800.

By the way, why do some guitarists have a pedal board with a bunch of different pedals? Do they turn one off and turn on another for differents parts of songs? Or are they using all of them at the same time?
Quote by Granata
So I've been youtubing and I'm stuck between the suhr riot and the hot mod 800.

By the way, why do some guitarists have a pedal board with a bunch of different pedals? Do they turn one off and turn on another for differents parts of songs? Or are they using all of them at the same time?

Depends on what they need at that time

Right now my board is just
..................___OD > JCM800
Wah > A/B-|
..................|----Chorus > Delay > Peavey Studio Chorus 210

All of my pedals (except) my wah stay on, because I use them for everything

I'll add or subtract pedals as I need them though
Quote by darkwolf291
Depends on what they need at that time

Right now my board is just
..................___OD > JCM800
Wah > A/B-|
..................|----Chorus > Delay > Peavey Studio Chorus 210

All of my pedals (except) my wah stay on, because I use them for everything

I'll add or subtract pedals as I need them though

Yes but they don't use all the pedals at once, right? Can you only have one active or more than one?
AB lets you choose one of the two lines. Individual effects can still be switched on or off but they are only available to the line you're on.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Offworld92
Without using an amp in the box/preamp type standalone, I'd try using a Boss SD-1 type OD on the rhythm channel with the gain up moderately. Gain 0 / Level max on the pedal and tone to taste. Probably cut mids out depending on what kind of sound you prefer/are looking for.

If you don't mind spending more the MXR M77 is basically an SD-1 that's better in every way. Quieter, larger range of control, more tone shaping options. I was able to get them to sound almost identical when I AB'd them (I used to have both, kept the MXR).

This is exactly what I came here to post. I love my M77, and on the green channel w/ crunch switch engaged and moderate gain, it sounds pretty Marshally to me.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Granata
Yes but they don't use all the pedals at once, right? Can you only have one active or more than one?

I have many pedals. Sometimes I use all of them. Sometimes I choose just a couple. Depends on what I need at the time.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So are Marshall amps standard for metal? I thought peaveys were the standard for metal nowadays.
sort of depends on what you mean by "metal", "standard"" and "nowadays"

they're probably one of the standards for certain types of metal at least. moreso, if you include things which are very obviously based on/inspired by marshalls, but which are made by other companies.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Granata
So are Marshall amps standard for metal? I thought peaveys were the standard for metal nowadays.

There really is no "standard", but Marshalls were (and still are) the thing for 80's metal, be it good old heavy metal, thrash or oldschool death metal. Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth are not exactly "nowaday" bands you know.

Peavey (6505 that is) is more modern sounding and has kind of become a "standard" other modern metal amps are compared to, but that doesnt mean it cannot be used for other styles. As said before, get an overdrive pedal if you dont have one (Boss SD-1 or Bad Monkey for example) and experiment with the crunch channel on the amp with overdrive in front. Thats the way old Marshall amps were often used. If you dont like the results then start looking for Marshall in a box solutions.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 15, 2015,
Marshall MV/2203 is the standard for late 70s -80s metal, Peavey 5150 and Mesa Rectifiers share the standard from 90s to present.

And nothing has really changed gearwise since the 90s, except EQing. A 5150 with a Tubescreamer can get you 90s alt/nu metal, add an EQ in the loop and you can get deathcore or djent.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X