Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. I'd like to study music in the US. I play the guitar and I'm mostly into heavy metal, rock and punk. I've found this college called Musicians Institute located in Hollywood, CA. They have very nice reputation and all but when I looked up for fees and tuition, I found it pretty ****ing expensive and most likely I won't be able to afford it.

For those who have been there: What program did you study? Does it worth the money?

I also would like to know some others universities/colleges in the US you guys know, with equivalent programs but less expensive.
I know the man who stole the last T in your username.
I left him a profile comment ages ago but he never replied.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Don't study music. Christ, how many more unemployed douchebags do we need?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
No. No. Bad Neo! *sprays water bottle*
We do not talk to strangers that way.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
No. No. Bad Neo! *sprays water bottle*
We do not talk to strangers that way.

The water hurts us, my precious. Make it stop!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
lol! Never heard of it, but sounds like some Powerchord Academy bullshit. Honestly TS, Neo is right. If you love music, by all means do what you love.

But if you acquire debt/pay tuition for learning something that can be done completely via the Internet, you're some kind of stupid. Get a degree for a guarantee. Graduating from "Musicians Institute" won't promise you a job in a band, or really anything. Just self-teach, and maybe a teacher at a music shop if you need it.
Apart from the difficult-to-get-a-job thing, what if you realize you hate your degree and then guitar is ruined for you?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Everything you need to know about music, even the more complex higher end theory stuff, you can get from books (relatively cheap too) and study at home. Amazon is the best music institute in the world. Things like this Musician's Institute are for rich Cali kids to waste their parents cash on so they can feel 'inspired'.

If you have to invest a lot of money in education, do it for something that guarantees you a stable job you can support yourself with.
Quote by RiseAgain
Hi guys. I'd like to study music in the US. I play the guitar and I'm mostly into heavy metal, rock and punk. I've found this college called Musicians Institute located in Hollywood, CA. They have very nice reputation and all but when I looked up for fees and tuition, I found it pretty ****ing expensive and most likely I won't be able to afford it.

For those who have been there: What program did you study? Does it worth the money?

I also would like to know some others universities/colleges in the US you guys know, with equivalent programs but less expensive.

I know several MI grads and they have excellent musical knowledge and monster chops. You will develop your skills to a high level but it will not likely get you a job in the music biz.
My advice is... If you want to do this and you can pay for it out of pocket, go for it. If you must get student loans it's a no-go. The loans will haunt you for the rest of your life and weigh you down like an anchor.

A music degree at a university is focused greatly on music education and a degree from here will likely result in a teaching job. A good day job frees you to gig with friends on the weekends and even get in a national tour every summer. I am still down on student loans to get there though. Avoid them like you avoid AIDS.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
what are you hoping to gain by studying music?
not that it is not a valuable pursuit in its own right, but it is not worth paying all that money for a degree if yr. goal is to play heavy metal, rock, and punk on guitar.
Do they only teach you things directing dealing with playing music? Or do they actually have sort of useful classes like business and audio engineering as well?
Quote by Neo Evil11

lol I studied music and probably make twice whatever shit job you take, if you can even find one.

That said, TS I don't recommend doing this if it's for pop music. There will be very little return, if any, on your investment.

You can be taught proficiency in a classroom, but pop music was never founded on proficiency. You can't be taught individuality, creativity, or how to network with the right people in an academic setting. Incidentally these are the 3 essential skills you need to be a successful pop musician (yes that includes rock, metal, etc). "life experience" is better in this case. Look to your favorite artists, look to successful artists or even artists that are on the cusp of success (such as Rob Cantor). Analyze what it is about them that is unique, and maybe it'll give you some insight on developing your own voice/identity.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 14, 2015,
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol I studied music and probably make twice whatever shit job you take, if you can even find one.

No, shit that you make more than a PhD student. It's clear that music majors are doing a lot worse than science majors.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Mar 14, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11

The water hurts us, my precious. Make it stop!

"We've lost our weed, precious!"
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Neo Evil11
No, shit that you make more than a PhD student. It's clear that music majors are doing a lot worse than science majors.

lol I can't take anything you say seriously. You've probably never actually worked a day in your life. That's clear when you think that the degree type dictates success.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You can't learn everything about music from books and the internet. JFC when will peoe here realize that? Its pretty offensive to any serious musician to say that.
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol I can't take anything you say seriously. You've probably never actually worked a day in your life. That's clear when you think that the degree type dictates success.

I have worked in my life, and I am working. If you honestly think that the major you do has no effect on whether you find a good (relevant) job, then I honestly don't need to take anything you say seriously. Most alpha majors here are unemployed or are looking for jobs below their education level, all science majors find a job immediately.

Just because you found a good job with your crappy major, doesn't mean everyone does.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
You can't learn everything about music from books and the internet.

Lol yeah you can. And maybe from Kahn Academy or some other similar free online course thing. Professors I find to be a waste of time, any motivated person could out-learn their slowed down teaching that's more aimed for the plebs of the class
Quote by Fat Lard
Lol yeah you can. And maybe from Kahn Academy or some other similar free online course thing. Professors I find to be a waste of time, any motivated person could out-learn there slowed down teaching that's more aimed for the plebs of the class

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fat Lard
I'm a fat idiot that can't weasel his way out of this one.

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fat Lard
Lol yeah you can. And maybe from Kahn Academy or some other similar free online course thing. Professors I find to be a waste of time, any motivated person could out-learn their slowed down teaching that's more aimed for the plebs of the class

Wow dude ur so edgy. You must be the coolest guy on campus

And again, no you can't learn about everything about music from books. Imagine a biology major trying to learn everything without a teacher. Could they technically do it? Sure, all the information is in the text books, right? But hardly any one could wade through all that information and effectively learn it without the guidance of a teacher.

Music, particularly performance, also contains a physical aspect to it, which is even harder to learn from a book or internet article.

Basically what I'm saying is, you could technically learn anything from a book. But it's very, very rarely the most practical solution, and that goes for music as well.
Quote by Fat Lard
*reported* for falsifying information

1. Mods can see your edits.
2. You can get banned for misusing the report button.
3. No one believes you actually reported it, or that I actually made it up.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Wow dude ur so edgy. You must be the coolest guy on campus

And again, no you can't learn about everything about music from books. Imagine a biology major trying to learn everything without a teacher. Could they technically do it? Sure, all the information is in the text books, right? But hardly any one could wade through all that information and effectively learn it without the guidance of a teacher.

Music, particularly performance, also contains a physical aspect to it, which is even harder to learn from a book or internet article.

Basically what I'm saying is, you could technically learn anything from a book. But it's very, very rarely the most practical solution, and that goes for music as well.

Can you not learn proper form/stage presence from youtube videos/watching concert performances or whatever? I mean, I see the benefit of having a professional guitar/etc teacher, but 4 years of it for a major seems like overkill. Like, sure you learn a lot more, but nowhere near worth the $20-30K I'd estimate.

And yes I am edgy. But its true, the majority of teachers taught me stuff like how to read from powerpoints (though a good few of them were legit).

Give me a textbook and the solution manual and boom, just saved a few hundred dollars
Last edited by Fat Lard at Mar 14, 2015,
Quote by Fat Lard
Can you not learn proper form/stage presence from youtube videos/watching concert performances or whatever? I mean, I see the benefit of having a professional guitar/etc teacher, but 4 years of it for a major seems like overkill. Like, sure you learn a lot more, but nowhere near worth the $20-30K I'd estimate.

And yes I am edgy. But its true, the majority of teachers taught me stuff like how to read from powerpoints (though a good few of them were legit).

Give me a textbook and the solution manual and boom, just saved a few hundred dollars

I guess if you were never lucky enough to have good teachers then I shouldn't expect you to understand the value of that.

Also you have no idea the intricacies that go into "proper form." It's not about watching videos of other people do it, it's about having someone watch you and pointing out the small things you don't notice when you're too busy thinking about the notes you need to play.
I did have some good teachers tbh, I'm just speaking for the most part. Invaluable info and pointers from their experience and whatnot, but ehh, reading/textbooks and practice stuff/scenarios are good enough for the most part

Like I said, having a guitar teacher for that helps. But thats more like hour long lessons for a while until you learn the basics. If music major is what you went for then more to you, didnt mean to offend or whatever. I just personally think that any major can be self taught for the most part, and to just take a pragmatic approach to get a "needed" piece of paper (and start out life a debt slave lol)
I attended G.I.T & V.I.T in the late 80's and for me it was an incredible learning experience!
I went there after I got a degree in Music from a "normal" college and had a edge over most of my fellow classmates ( Music theory, Composition, sight-reading & Years of varied live performance experience) I was heading into the education side of the biz.....but I wanted to be a better Guitarist/entertainer and that was the place to go for intense hands on training.
The teachers and staff were the some of the best Musicians in their genres....I got sit right next to the best of the best and absorb everything they could pass on to me!
I planned on making my life all about music.....it was how I was gonna make a living.
If you are extremely serious about dedicating your life to music then that school is an option
for ya....Berklee, Juilliard, North Texas St, U of M, Eastman among others are options for you as well.
I chose G.I.T because I wanted to immerse myself in the study of guitar 24/7.....it was like having 50 different guitar/music teachers in one building, there for your training.
People that have negative things to say about going after a "proper education" in the Arts, usually are envious haters that wouldn't be able to pass the entrance exam in the first place! So take that in consideration when asking for advice in public forums... Thousands of musicians have made it to the top without any formal training, but imagine what they could've done WITH that extra enlightenment!?!? The Internet has changed how people can obtain knowledge on their own, but nothing beats hands on experience and guidance that can be found in the halls & classrooms of these institutions.
I'm getting off the soapbox now, so I can get ready for my gig tonight...Gotta go get paid to do what I love.....playing Music;-)
^This isn't meant to generalize or mean anything, but I've known plenty of formally educated musicians and really skilled players who don't understand style or "good," interesting music to save their lives.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Neo Evil11
Most alpha majors here are unemployed or are looking for jobs below their education level, all science majors find a job immediately.

whats an alpha major

and xiaoxi you music ed bro? getting that degree in 2 months

government health care here I come
Quote by smartguyreviews

and xiaoxi you music ed bro? getting that degree in 2 months

government health care here I come

Congratulations! Hope you find a good position.

No, not music ed. More production/composition related.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by snipelfritz
^This isn't meant to generalize or mean anything, but I've known plenty of formally educated musicians and really skilled players who don't understand style or "good," interesting music to save their lives.

You don't "understand" the quality of music, you perceive it. You probably just disagreed with their opinions.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
You don't "understand" the quality of music, you perceive it. You probably just disagreed with their opinions.

I bet that you're one of those "every single thing in music is entirely subjective" people.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I studied music in college, although not at Musicians' Institute. I don't regret it. I progressed way faster than I ever did during the years that I taught myself, and I made a lot of useful connections with people in the industry.

That said, I recommend you DON'T do it. It costs a lot of money, and you're not likely to get a job in music. You'll find a job, but it'll be in retail or food service or something. You'll survive, and occasionally play in a pit band at a youth theatre or some shit. And you'll feel really invalidated. I think Tosin Abasi went to Musicians' Institute though. So there's that.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
I studied music in college, although not at Musicians' Institute. I don't regret it. I progressed way faster than I ever did during the years that I taught myself, and I made a lot of useful connections with people in the industry.

That said, I recommend you DON'T do it. It costs a lot of money, and you're not likely to get a job in music. You'll find a job, but it'll be in retail or food service or something. You'll survive, and occasionally play in a pit band at a youth theatre or some shit. And you'll feel really invalidated. I think Tosin Abasi went to Musicians' Institute though. So there's that.

No but xixi says your major doesn't matter so everyone in music will find a job that pays a **** tonne. Cause xixi does so.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I'm going to agree with the view that going to an institute place will probably work out as more money than it is worth.

It's probably the same as doing some sort of Fine Art thing. There's not a high chance of it bagging you a well-paid job and you can do (most of it) yourself for free anyway.
I have nothing important to say
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much to those who took this seriously and took their time as well, to write those great responses. I read them all, this is pretty much exactly that I wanted to hear (read :O).

In addition, what I want from music college/university: is to learn the theory and all that stuff in depth that I need in order to be a decent musician and probably work in the music industry (business) after that. Right now, I don't know much, just some basic stuff and I do compose my own pieces which I show to my guitar teacher and he says they are good.
Also, make some connections and meet a whole bunch of people to work with. Because where I'm from (France (south)) things happen differently and I don't want that shit. Although you don't need to be rich to get a good education.

I wish I could clear some completely useless posts in order to make this thread more readable.

Edit: I checked out on Berklee and finance-wise it's worse than MI.
Last edited by RiseAgain at Mar 15, 2015,
Page 1 of 2