Page 1 of 2
I'm currently using a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo amp in my bedroom but I've realized that this kind of amp (one marketed as a 'Metal amp') doesn't give me the sound that I'm going for anymore. I've realized that most 80's/90's Metal bands didn't use Metal amps since they weren't common back then.

I would really like to get a 'real amp'.

I'm considering a Marshal JCM 800 2203 reissue (or a second-hand 80's 2203 if I can find one) or a JCM 800 2203KK Kerry King edition (if I can find one) and then push the front with a Boss HM-2.

Is it a dumb idea to get a 4x12 for bedroom use, should I get a 2x12 instead? Money isn't an issue since I'm in a position where I could afford it.

I've read that the volume would be similar between the two types of cabs. Is this true?

What tonal differences distinguish one from the other?

Thanks,
Miles.
I had a 4x12 for a short while and found it just that bit too big for home/bedroom use (living with parents still and they didnt like the size of a 4x12)

So ive got a oversized 2x12, smaller than a 4x12 but still gives a similar "thump" a 4x12 would.

Just gotta be careful on matching the wattage/speaker allowance.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
You'd probably like the JCM2000 DSL100/50 better and they are fairly cheap used ($500-$700). deff more versatile than the JCM800.

What are you using the HM2 for? You would do better to get rid of it and get a decent OD pedal to boost your amp with
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Carrot
I had a 4x12 for a short while and found it just that bit too big for home/bedroom use (living with parents still and they didnt like the size of a 4x12)

So ive got a oversized 2x12, smaller than a 4x12 but still gives a similar "thump" a 4x12 would.

Just gotta be careful on matching the wattage/speaker allowance.
An over-sized 2x12 seems like something to consider. I'm looking for something with Vintage 30s. any ideas?
Last edited by MilesJeffery at Mar 14, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You'd probably like the JCM2000 DSL100/50 better and they are fairly cheap used ($500-$700). deff more versatile than the JCM800.

What are you using the HM2 for? You would do better to get rid of it and get a decent OD pedal to boost your amp with
I want the early 90's Swedish Death Metal sound. Bands like Entombed, Dismember and Carnage used the HM-2 to get their sound. It's quite a popular pedal among Death Metal musicians. I might get a Maxon OD-808 for non-Swedish Death stuff.

The JCM 800 is also the amp that is recommended for that sound.
Quote by KailM
What exactly is "not real" about your 6505?
Nothing. What I meant was that I wanted a dedicated head and cab instead of an all-in-one combo amp.
Quote by KailM
What exactly is "not real" about your 6505?

He doesn't like it I guess

TS:I personally think a 4x12 is a stupid idea for your bedroom. Sure if you want it then by all means go for it, but I think a 2x12 would be better.

Since you're in England a Harley Benton Vintage 2x12 from thomann is cheap and good.
The V30's in there are the standard for metal.

IF you want 90's swedish death metal get a Marshall VS8100 and be done with it. About 200-350Euro.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by MilesJeffery
An over-sized 2x12 seems like something to consider. I'm looking for something with Vintage 30s. any ideas?

Talk to Paul from Zilla cabs. Loaded they start around £300-£350 but you pick pretty much everything.
Im on my 4th Zilla cab and cant put a thing wrong with them.

I do remember In Flames' early stuff being on the JCM's or 5150's, Im sure theres an youtube video or interview. But i do remember those being mentioned through a marshall cab of some kind.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Fryderyczek
He doesn't like it I guess

TS:I personally think a 4x12 is a stupid idea for your bedroom. Sure if you want it then by all means go for it, but I think a 2x12 would be better.

Since you're in England a Harley Benton Vintage 2x12 from thomann is cheap and good.
The V30's in there are the standard for metal.

IF you want 90's swedish death metal get a Marshall VS8100 and be done with it. About 200-350Euro.
Thanks for the Harley Benton suggestion. V30s are definitley what I'm looking for.

I was considering a VS8100 since Chuck Schuldiner used one. There aren't any listings on eBay UK at the moment.
Quote by Carrot
Talk to Paul from Zilla cabs. Loaded they start around £300-£350 but you pick pretty much everything.
Im on my 4th Zilla cab and cant put a thing wrong with them.

I do remember In Flames' early stuff being on the JCM's or 5150's, Im sure theres an youtube video or interview. But i do remember those being mentioned through a marshall cab of some kind.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I heard the same regarding the JCM/5150's. The thing that convinces me more towards the JCM 800 is the fact that it was the amp that Vallenfyre used on Splinters. 5150's also seem to be harder to find
Quote by MilesJeffery
Thanks for the Harley Benton suggestion. V30s are definitley what I'm looking for.

I was considering a VS8100 since Chuck Schuldiner used one. There aren't any listings on eBay UK at the moment.

You can also look around on the classifieds here.
They pop up for cheap every now and then. If you can find that one look for a VS100. The same but the 100 is a bit newer.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
You can also look around on the classifieds here.
They pop up for cheap every now and then. If you can find that one look for a VS100. The same but the 100 is a bit newer.
I'll definitely have a look at that thread.

There's a VS100 on eBay right now. I'll check out some demos and reviews for that amp.
What is all this bs? Stick a V30 in your combo and call it a day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MilesJeffery
I'll definitely have a look at that thread.

There's a VS100 on eBay right now. I'll check out some demos and reviews for that amp.

Exactly like a VS8100. After I'd buy it I'd get a tech to clean it up inside and oil some of the pots and stuff since that amp is probably older than me right now.
Fly on, fly on
Well its not exactly the same. For example, VS100 utilizes the tube for both clean and overdrive channel, where 8100 uses it for just overdrive. 8100 is generally considered a better of the two.

But yeah, if you have the room to spare I see no reason why you should not get a 4x12 cab. I would if I could.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Well its not exactly the same. For example, VS100 utilizes the tube for both clean and overdrive channel, where 8100 uses it for just overdrive. 8100 is generally considered a better of the two.

But yeah, if you have the room to spare I see no reason why you should not get a 4x12 cab. I would if I could.

Do you still have that Jet City 1x12?
Fly on, fly on
Yes. Trying to get rid of it though. Why?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus

I'm really temped...
Quote by MaaZeus
Yes. Trying to get rid of it though. Why?

Just curious. When I looked at your rig photos I thought it looked kinda cute next to the Marshall and the Randall.
Fly on, fly on
turn that combo into a head and get a good 2x12 cab and call it a day.
or even easier chuck a v30 in it and be happy.

ive used a 4x12 for bedroom use during weeks off when my band was together and the whole time i wished for a smaller combo. a 4x12 with a 100w head is worthless in the bedroom when you know what it sounds like live. just my 2 cents
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Cathbard

Agreed. The stock Sheffield speaker is the worst speaker I've ever heard -- doesn't allow the amp to sound like it should. Also, for the Swedish death metal tone all he needs to do is put an HM-2 in the loop for coloration. When I get the hankering, I do that with my Hm-2. Instant "Slaughter of the Soul" tone -- only better.

If he wants a deeper, bigger tone, then perhaps a 212 cab w/ V30s or a V 30 and a k-100.

But the original 112 enclosure can sound very big already, especially in a bedroom.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by iheartgun
turn that combo into a head and get a good 2x12 cab and call it a day.
or even easier chuck a v30 in it and be happy.

ive used a 4x12 for bedroom use during weeks off when my band was together and the whole time i wished for a smaller combo. a 4x12 with a 100w head is worthless in the bedroom when you know what it sounds like live. just my 2 cents
I've seen that before. I'm not sure if it's my setup but the HM-2 sounds awful through both channels on my 6505. Nothing like other examples I've seen on YouTube.
Quote by KailM
Agreed. The stock Sheffield speaker is the worst speaker I've ever heard -- doesn't allow the amp to sound like it should. Also, for the Swedish death metal tone all he needs to do is put an HM-2 in the loop for coloration. When I get the hankering, I do that with my Hm-2. Instant "Slaughter of the Soul" tone -- only better.

If he wants a deeper, bigger tone, then perhaps a 212 cab w/ V30s or a V 30 and a k-100.

But the original 112 enclosure can sound very big already, especially in a bedroom.
I've got a Celestion G12K-100 in there at the moment. I put it in back when I wanted a modern, high-gain Metal sound.
Quote by MilesJeffery
I've got a Celestion G12K-100 in there at the moment. I put it in back when I wanted a modern, high-gain Metal sound.

TBH the only time I'd get a 6505 is if I'd want to get a Machine Head tone. No other band I like uses them.

If you want a setup for swedish death metal on a very tight budget then a Peavey Bandit with that HM you have. If you have more money a VS8100(Head or combo, your choice) plus 2x12 HB vintage or if you have a shitton of money an ENGL plus some cab.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
TBH the only time I'd get a 6505 is if I'd want to get a Machine Head tone. No other band I like uses them.

If you want a setup for swedish death metal on a very tight budget then a Peavey Bandit with that HM you have. If you have more money a VS8100(Head or combo, your choice) plus 2x12 HB vintage or if you have a shitton of money an ENGL plus some cab.
I'm not on a tight budget. I'm really warming to the idea of a VS8100. The demos on YouTube are good and it seems that it's highly regarded.
if you don't have to lug the 4x12 around I would use it .... I have 2x12's because I'm moving them around all the time and the 4x12's would be too heavy , love the sound of the 4x12's just too heavy to move around for me .... I didn't like my 6505 112 combo either so I understand where you coming from .... I would follow Robgnarly's advice on the amp and use the 4x12 if the 4x12's don't have to be moved around any
Quote by MilesJeffery
I'm not on a tight budget. I'm really warming to the idea of a VS8100. The demos on YouTube are good and it seems that it's highly regarded.

I'd suggest getting one now, since people recently have been putting it out for crazy prices since it's the chuck schuldiner amp. If you find one for cheap, by all means go for it.
Fly on, fly on
TS have a look on the facebook groups. I can link you a couple to get you started if you like?

Ive seen all sorts of amps going on there recently.
Theres no VS8100's atm but theres a couple VS100 combo's under £180

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by MilesJeffery

Fair enough. But since you're going to need an HM-2 to get a Swedish DM tone, I'd recommend trying one through your 6505+ first. I have owned a Valvestate in the past and I'm here to say it won't touch a 6505, for any type of metal tone except for maybe nasty, lofi black metal tone a la Darkthrone.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Fumble fingers
if you don't have to lug the 4x12 around I would use it .... I have 2x12's because I'm moving them around all the time and the 4x12's would be too heavy , love the sound of the 4x12's just too heavy to move around for me .... I didn't like my 6505 112 combo either so I understand where you coming from .... I would follow Robgnarly's advice on the amp and use the 4x12 if the 4x12's don't have to be moved around any
Good point. I won't be moving it around.
Quote by Carrot
TS have a look on the facebook groups. I can link you a couple to get you started if you like?

Ive seen all sorts of amps going on there recently.
Theres no VS8100's atm but theres a couple VS100 combo's under £180
That would be very helpful. Please do.
Quote by KailM
Fair enough. But since you're going to need an HM-2 to get a Swedish DM tone, I'd recommend trying one through your 6505+ first. I have owned a Valvestate in the past and I'm here to say it won't touch a 6505, for any type of metal tone except for maybe nasty, lofi black metal tone a la Darkthrone.
I have a HM-2. It might just be my setup but it seems to always sound awful no matter the settings. I've tried both channels, the effect loop and using it as a pre-amp (via effects-return) to bypass the tube preamp. I normally use it with everything, except the gain, at 10.

I have seen a few people say that the HM-2 does not like high-gain amps. From my experience, it's probably true. I've only tried very few amp, though, so I can't really say.
Quote by MilesJeffery
I have a HM-2. It might just be my setup but it seems to always sound awful no matter the settings. I've tried both channels, the effect loop and using it as a pre-amp (via effects-return) to bypass the tube preamp. I normally use it with everything, except the gain, at 10.

I have seen a few people say that the HM-2 does not like high-gain amps. From my experience, it's probably true. I've only tried very few amp, though, so I can't really say.

How do you set the 6505, may I ask?

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'd get a vs100 2x12 combo plus a speaker swap to V30's.

I know it may sound dumb, since the speakers will cost around the same as the amp, but it'll be worth it.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Cathbard

this seems more like the answer to me. believe me if thrash bands back in the day could have used a 6505+ then they would have gladly done it.
I have a narrow 4x12 literally in my bedroom that I keep for practice, and two cabinets kept in rehearsal space, that way I can keep my sound through just taking my head(s) with me.

So it's not a bad idea, it's just a matter of space.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Fryderyczek
How do you set the 6505, may I ask?

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'd get a vs100 2x12 combo plus a speaker swap to V30's.

I know it may sound dumb, since the speakers will cost around the same as the amp, but it'll be worth it.
Sorry for the late response.
If I use the clean channel:

Res: 0
Pres: 4
Treble: 4
Mid: 10
Bass: 6
Pre: 10
Crunch: Off

Lead channel is the same but with pre at 4. I think it sounds bigger with the rhythm section.

(Edit: Pickups are EMG 81/85, guitar tuned to E standard for now. Will change to thicker string for C# or C)

(Edit #2: In case it matters, HM-2 is maxed, except for gain which is on 0)
Quote by monwobobbo
this seems more like the answer to me. believe me if thrash bands back in the day could have used a 6505+ then they would have gladly done it.
Good point.
Quote by Vampire_State
I have a narrow 4x12 literally in my bedroom that I keep for practice, and two cabinets kept in rehearsal space, that way I can keep my sound through just taking my head(s) with me.

So it's not a bad idea, it's just a matter of space.
Space isn't an issue. I think I'm probably going for a 4x12.
Quote by MilesJeffery
Sorry for the late response.
If I use the clean channel:

Res: 0
Pres: 4
Treble: 4
Mid: 10
Bass: 6
Pre: 10
Crunch: Off

Lead channel is the same but with pre at 4. I think it sounds bigger with the rhythm section.

(Edit: Pickups are EMG 81/85, guitar tuned to E standard for now. Will change to thicker string for C# or C)

Perhaps you should dick around with your setting? The 6505 is a naturally middy amp and it might just change some stuff to your liking.
On my Randall I have the gain set to 5, bass 7, mid 9, treble,8.5 and presence about 8 and it sounds fantastic.

If you won't get a Marshall then I highly suggest a Randall RG1503H. Or the RG1503 2x12 combo.
Fly on, fly on
Page 1 of 2