Hello All

I've posted the first four of my songs on here and here is my latest song, Cathedrals Part 1

https://soundcloud.com/morphitis/cathedrals-part-i

Please let me know what you guys think to my track and any feedback which you have to help improve any future songs. I will give any feedback on any of your tracks in response

If you like what you hear, please visit my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/morphitis) and my YouTube channel (see signature)

Thanks as ever, M
Hey man, I really like the intro to this song. I think this song could go in two directions it can be an emotional song and also a really heavy song depending on what vocal melody and style of vocals you have to the track. I personally think that the first build up could be in a better place, probably sooner than later, it seems to take too long to get to the heavy part. the only bad thing I really have to say about this song is the drums, they are too choppy and don't really help the flow of the song as much as they could. don't get me wrong this is a great sounding track but try some clean drumming instead of that choppy snare btw I dig the break down in this song that's where the choppy drums do work

Crit my tune here dude https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33303824#post33303824
Morphitis,
Thank you for the review! Now your tune: Very nice intro, nice guitar melodies & tone. The distorted guitar was a bit of a surprise, but it sounds good. Did you pitch bend up by stretching the strings, using the whammy bar, or whammy pedal? Nice bass tone & playing; nice guitar playing. There were a few places I would have liked to hear some good vocals, but it's a very good song.
Great use of reverb on the lead guitars. The bass tone has a nice powerful punch to it. How do you get that tone? I do think the rhythm guitars could be a bit more present in the mix and a tad louder for more effect and solidarity. The snare could be more gut-hitting, maybe tr a different one? Something that gives a 'kick-to-the-face' for the listener. Liking the structure!

Left you a chuck of a comment on your SC. Following!
Thanks for the crit!
Quote by Harlot Hero
Great use of reverb on the lead guitars. The bass tone has a nice powerful punch to it. How do you get that tone?

Thanks for the feedback, for the bass tone I just use the "modern" bass emulation on Logic with an EZmix distortion setting. Staged compression usually with an FET Style compressor followed by an Optical then a Limiter which evens out the bass, the logic compressor has all three styles to select from.

Cheers
Intro sounds great, nice tone, chord progression and the playing is good The build is good too, when the lead guitar comes in it sounds quite post-rock to me. Good stuff! To me it sounds like the snare drum is clipping at moments? Also I think adding a bit of reverb to the drums will make it sound a bit "cleaner". I like the flow of the song!

Good riffs and instrumental playing! Keep up the good work
C4C https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1673213
Hey man,

So Cathedrals, excellent piece of work. I really enjoyed listening all of it, you know that sometimes instrumentals delve into boredom and repetitiveness but yours managed to keep me interested throught the riffs, specially after the heavier sections started. So props to you for that.

Musically, i feel that it is a really strong track, with powerful lead guitar melodies, with an epic dark tone that feels at home with what you are trying to deliver. It had many different sections that kept simple and strong enough to maintain a listener entertained. You probably have the skills to compose and play more intricate pieces but this one just feels right as it is. Really looking forward to hear the next Cathedrals!

Regarding the mix, I am not much of a pro, you probably know a whole lot more than me. But speaking as a metal listener, not much as a mixer, I would say that the snare feels somewhat out of place. I feel that it is because of high volume in the mix and the drum composition as well. In what i think might be the chorus (1:13, 2:20, 5:04) maybe less snare on the beats could give it a more powerful "war-like" feel. But hey, i wont criticize your composition! It is amazing as it is.

Thanks a lot for your critic, hope to hear more soon
Thanks for the critique man! Lowering those frequencies on my guitars has actually really made it all have much better clarity!

Just listening to yours right now and love it. I'm not one for solo/instrumental pieces usually but this keeps my interest throughout with good variations in sections. I'm quite interested to hear what the next parts are going to be like.

Out of interest, what brought you to make this an instrumental project as opposed to one with vocals?

Thanks again
The intro is really beautiful, I dig the tones and the chord progression. The composition through the whole thing is great. I can't really find anything that I don't like about it musically. The mix on the other hand could use a little work, the drums sound a little flat to me and could use some beefing up and roominess to them. Other than that, great job!
Hey man, i love the intro, you captured a feeling there that was very gray. Also, the transition from 4:10 to the riff after with the leads on top is another one of my favorite parts. I'm not sure if you're into bands like swallow the sun but the song Cathedral Walls reminds me of some what the feeling this gave me. The only thing i'd suggest is the snare is VERY distracting, I feel like if it was maybe a bit less present or maybe turned down it wouldn't be so much in your face also the bass maybe be more apparent in the mix, but that's just preference.
here's my song hope to see your input! cheers https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1673456
There are some really great ideas throughout the piece, but some parts feel like they were rushed through, particularly the transitions between some of the mood shifts/movements. It gives it the feel of a bunch of strong individual jams loosely strung together. But again, some of those individual jams are really well done and engaging.

The drums though, just straight candid with you - you have to get a new drum emulation program. Your drum programming is a little loose, but the drum samples being so basic and low quality is what ultimately drains the most life out of what is otherwise a well done instrumental. Keep it man, cant wait to hear more
Quote by iaresanchez
There are some really great ideas throughout the piece, but some parts feel like they were rushed through, particularly the transitions between some of the mood shifts/movements. It gives it the feel of a bunch of strong individual jams loosely strung together. But again, some of those individual jams are really well done and engaging.

The drums though, just straight candid with you - you have to get a new drum emulation program. Your drum programming is a little loose, but the drum samples being so basic and low quality is what ultimately drains the most life out of what is otherwise a well done instrumental. Keep it man, cant wait to hear more

Thanks for the feedback, I'm welcome to any suggestions regarding drum software programmes and look forward for hearing some of your songs
Quote by Morphitis
Thanks for the feedback, I'm welcome to any suggestions regarding drum software programmes and look forward for hearing some of your songs

There are a lot now a days that give a ton of control over the velocity and sound-scaping of the drum set. If you want to get serious, you are going to have to slap down some cash for a good emulator (and they still run a hefty price often times) - but you get what you pay for. If you don't have the capital currently, and I am not condoning this in any way, you can always go the torrent route until you can afford them I suppose. But again, not condoning!

ezDrummer is pretty standard fare, and I know a lot of home producers who use them in their songs to great effect. I always disliked ezDrummer myself because the drum samples themselves sounded so flat and lifeless and required too much EQ and Mastering trickery to really get a solid drum sound under my songs, but again I know a lot of people who use it really well. Just personal preference, I don't like it.

Superior Drummer (by the same people as ezDrummer) is basically ezD on steroids, but it also needs quite a bit of mastering trickery to get a decent drum sound that fills out a track (IMO). Although Superior gives you ENORMOUS control of the sound scape of the drum set, as well as ridiculous large libraries of samples making it easy to get that "human" element out of an otherwise non-human drum performance. However superior was ridiculously priced last I checked, and it isn't for the feint of heart as it assumes you are really going to bury your nose in the engineering process. Huge price tag and perhaps a large learning curve.

Addictive Drums is the plugin I use for all of my drum tracks now. I stumbled across it when trying to find an alternative to ezD and fell in love immediately. It gives you a large enough sample library and a multitude of presets to use as starting points for building your drum sound. It is easy and intuitive and the samples themselves sound amazing even without mastering the drum track(s). Which for me is important because without a solid and human sounding drum track, it is hard for me to really put in a good performance on the guitar or vocal tracks for some reason. There is an Addictive Drums 2, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet so I can't say if it is better or worse.

Honorable Mention: ezDrummer 2 is out, but I honestly disliked the first one so much that I didn't bother checking out the newest version. It might have improved on a bunch of stuff but I couldn't say. Perhaps it is worth checking out if you have the funds.

Best of luck to you man! Ill keep an eye out for your next tracks. And I will post up tracks from my new project soon hopefully. Until then Ill just keep checking out all of the great submissions to Original Recordings board. Peace and love man
Gently ethereal textures of floating warmth segue into a symphonically metal / folk fusion with Celtic overtones. Beautifully composed and arranged music here, full of evocation and poignant passion. I would suggest that perhaps the drums are a bit to busy in places, maybe they should be simplified to give the piece more direct punch.
Great guitar work, great meaty bass tone too. A very ambitious piece with clear logical development, a deep vision that for the most part is successfully realised. Perhaps simpler drums and also bring the drums up in the mix a bit to give more punch and drive. But this is a minor criticism of this brilliantly conceived and performed work of art.

For something different you can C4C here.