Hello guys!

So, I am about to buy my first "intermediate-ish" bass (I was about to buy myself a 5-string some time ago but decided not to). And I was thinking about one of the three basses in the thread name.

Of these five, I have only held the SR500 and I have to say it was an absolutely wonderful experience, having played only Washburn Taurus T12 before which I find rather clunky. But, even though it shouldn’t matter too much, I really hate the finish. I just cannot stand the "wood-like" finishes.

I play in a band that plays hardcore/metalcore but in my spare time I play pretty much everything, from slap to some pop and indie so I think a versatility would be a great pro while opting for one of these basses.

Does any of you have experiences with some of these basses? or could you recommend something else? unfortunately the used bass market is of pretty poor quality where I live so that is not really an option.

My rationale behind choosing these five basses is that I have read and heard some good things about them but I have’t heard an opinion of someone who has played more than 1 of these basses.

The basses are: Ibanez SR500, G&L Tribute L-2000, Warwick RB Streamer, Ibanez SR370, Ibanez SRX360

Cheers.
Last edited by Jakubino at Mar 14, 2015,
Squier Jazz basses are really good, friend has the 4 string and it's amazing, they do a 5 string version as well and it's not that expensive
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I'm going to trade in my banjo to buy a Yamaha TRBX 505. The 300 series is cute with its switch, but the knobs on the 500's are just more precise. I'm not a fan of active basses bc I am constantly paranoid the battery will fail (I'm OCD, ok?), so I love that the TRBX 500's can be either passive/active. They are among the most versatile basses on the market right now, and they feel so superior in quality. I never really thought about the company until I actually sat down and played one.

...Oh, and I share a birthday with John Patitucci, so that kind of led me to Yamaha.

I currently have a squier jazz bass. It sucks.

My one soapbox: DON'T BUY AN IBANEZ UNLESS YOU ARE AN ELECTRICIAN. People love them, and they are a solid build that offers maple in the lower price ranges, but I can personally attest that their electronics are garbage. It's a real shame. My school's bass failed the day of the percussion ensemble concert. Great timing, I know. Unfortunately, I will always hold a grudge against the company for that.
Out of those 5 I'd say the G&L Tribute L2000. Really solid build quality and versatile enough to play anything and everything under the sun
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Ibanez is always a good call. Try out a fender jazz if you can.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Thanks a lot guys. I think I will grab either the G&L Tribute or the Yamaha that has been mentioned here. They both look great and according to you, they are both solid instruments.
Those are some pretty different instrument, you really need to try them out first if that's what you're choosing between. The neck profile differences will be huge.
The thing is I cannot do so as no shop nearby has them in stock. I have to order them online. I think I will be fine though as the neck I am using right now is uncomfortable as heck. Some really clumsy stuff.
Quote by imamac96

My one soapbox: DON'T BUY AN IBANEZ UNLESS YOU ARE AN ELECTRICIAN. People love them, and they are a solid build that offers maple in the lower price ranges, but I can personally attest that their electronics are garbage. It's a real shame. My school's bass failed the day of the percussion ensemble concert. Great timing, I know. Unfortunately, I will always hold a grudge against the company for that.

So all of Ibanez's electronics are garbage because of one incident with a likely poorly maintained school instrument?

Not an Ibanez user, may I add.
Quote by imamac96

Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by imamac96
My school's bass failed the day of the percussion ensemble concert.

Damn. I hate it when my bass fails the same day as a percussion ensemble concert. Really puts a damper on my enjoyment of the show.
So, now I am sure I will go with the Yamaha. I get it that both Yamaha or G&L Tribute or even Ibanez are solid instruments so it all comes down to the looks.

BUT, could you guys tell me your opinions on TRBX 304 and TRBX 504? Whichever you like the most and why?

Anyway, thanks a lot, you have helped me very much.
Quote by vikkyvik
Damn. I hate it when my bass fails the same day as a percussion ensemble concert. Really puts a damper on my enjoyment of the show.

Playin' some Bela Fleck. That's real music.

Almost every company makes good stuff and bad stuff. I just think that Ibanez quality doesn't take a step up until you start moving into higher-end basses.
Jacubino. It is all about the neck at this point.

Look up the neck profiles of each Bass, even the one you have now and do not like.

Find some examples in local stores that have similar if not the same neck dimensions.

That is the one thing that will keep it in or out of your hands.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B