To make my playing more interesting I added a lick application section to my practice. I'll learn a lick and then play it in different keys and over different genres.

The way I apply them is by usually using the shape and melodic contour of the lick while changing the value of some of the notes pitches and rhythms to fit in the new chord progression.

It definitely helps to make more interesting improvisation and probably helps shape my style but I'm not entirely sure its the most beneficial way to use licks.
I practice licks everyday. I have about 100+ licks on index cards and every day I practice 5-10 of them for a few minutes. Play each one 5-10 times.

When I improvise I don't consciously try to put them into a solo. I just improvise freely. There are favorite licks I use frequently in improvising that aren't on my index cards.

It's like studying vocabulary everyday and going over words. I probably wouldn't go out and try to use my new words on in conversation specifically. I'd just talk to people. If the word comes out in conversation that's fine.

That's how I do it.

So I practice licks but don't try to jam them into places.

What is the value of practicing my licks? It's good for technique and phrasing. It's difficult to make a specific lick work out of its original context.
Last edited by Virgman at Mar 14, 2015,
Quote by Virgman
I practice licks everyday. I have about 100+ licks on index cards and every day I practice 5-10 of them for a few minutes. Play each one 5-10 times.

When I improvise I don't consciously try to put them into a solo. I just improvise freely. There are favorite licks I use frequently in improvising that aren't on my index cards.

It's like studying vocabulary everyday and going over words. I probably wouldn't go out and try to use my new words on in conversation specifically. I'd just talk to people. If the word comes out in conversation that's fine.

That's how I do it.

So I practice licks but don't try to jam them into places.

What is the value of practicing my licks? It's good for technique and phrasing. It's difficult to make a specific lick work out of its original context.

I 100% agree with everything said in this post.
Quote by Black_devils
I 100% agree with everything said in this post.

Thanks.