Hey fellow music lovers!

Is it actually possible to learn sweeps/ultra fast parts like in this song here at 2 minutes and 3 seconds in by ear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXC2vSoz00A

It feels like it's impossible,like you have to be a freakin' child prodigy to be able too. I've seen people on youtube play this song and everytime it leaves me like this O_____O

What are your experiences with that?
Yes, its possible im assuming youre newer to sweeping but for me the more you learn new sweep patterns the quicker you realize alot of sweep shapes are similar in rock songs
Really? Mhm....I only have around 4-6 weeks of guitar practice atm so I'm still struggling to even nail down this one sweeped Amin arpeggio pattern. I'm still not as fast as I want to be (Michael Romeo fast haha....yeah....) but I'm slowly getting a tad bit faster as I go up and down that shape and move it up and down the neck as well for an added challenge.....So it helps learning different patterns eh?
Last edited by Oddly_Phrygian at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by Oddly_Phrygian
Hey fellow music lovers!

Is it actually possible to learn sweeps/ultra fast parts like in this song here at 2 minutes and 3 seconds in by ear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXC2vSoz00A

It feels like it's impossible,like you have to be a freakin' child prodigy to be able too. I've seen people on youtube play this song and everytime it leaves me like this O_____O

What are your experiences with that?

Are you kidding me? Of course it's possible all you have to do is slow down the record, and figure out each individual note by ear.. Plus if you've already practiced to reach a certain technical level in your playing it makes it much easier to transcribe things like this since your ears, and hands can comprehend.
Last edited by Black_devils at Mar 14, 2015,
1) Figure out the tonic (what chord the arpeggio is implying) of the arpeggio
2) Mess around with common intervals such as minor thirds, major thirds, fifths and octaves
3) Piece everything together in a fashion that is playable as a sweep
Quote by Oddly_Phrygian
Really? Mhm....I only have around 3-4 weeks of guitar practice atm so I'm still struggling to even nail down this one sweeped Amin arpeggio pattern. I'm still not as fast as I want to be (Michael Romeo fast haha....yeah....) but I'm slowly getting a tad bit faster as I go up and down that shape and move it up and down the neck as well for an added challenge.....So it helps learning different patterns eh?

I'm assuming that's badly worded and you didn't mean that you'd only actually been playing the guitar for 3-4 weeks...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ No, I think he's serious. In another thread a couple of weeks ago he said he had been playing for 2 weeks.

Learn the basics first. You can't expect yourself to be play fast with that little experience. You need to start slowly. Sweep picking is not the first technique I would learn.

Practice sweeping really slowly (so that you can pay attention to any sloppiness and mistakes). You want to learn to do it correctly. When done wrong, sweeping will sound really sloppy. If you force yourself to play faster, you will just learn bad habits.

Learning to play fast takes years. Becoming good takes years. It's not something you'll learn in weeks or months.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Lol I am serious! xD I guess I'm trying to do more than I can handle atm haha. Thanks for the replies guys
Slow and accurate,got it!
^seriously though dude, if you've only been playing guitar for a month, you shouldn't even be thinking about sweeps. There is absolutely no way in hell you're ready for advanced techniques like that, and diving in over your head isn't going to help. It's actually going to hurt your progress, and probably ingrain bad habits.

Even if you learn proper sweep technique, and take it slow, you may eventually get it down, and be able to play those patterns fast and clean, but if you just jump right into that without learning the basics, the context, first, it won't do you much good. You'll be able to play those specific patterns, but you won't know what to do with them, you won't know how to incorporate them in a piece of music, and you'll probably be a terrible rhythm player. That's the recipe for becoming one of those 17 year old metal kids who hangs out at guitar center doing mindless sweeps, but can't actually play music for shit, and is only impressive to other metal kids who only aspire to the same thing.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Mar 15, 2015,
4-6 weeks of playing? Either you ARE a damn child prodigy, or i think you might be a little out of your league. Hell, i didn't start that stuff before i had played for years, and still suck at it <.<
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Use a program to slow it down, it's the only way really, unless you have a godlike ear.

Been playing for 8 years, and I can hear and pick out individual notes in extended chords, but no chance in hell of learning any kind of fast solo without slowing it down. Ofc I could play something in the same key with the same rhytm that sounds close enough, but if you want to play a solo note for note, slowing down is the by far best.

The song linked as an example is pretty straight forward sweeping though, which is much easier to learn by ear. If you have the technical skill required to play that, your ear "should" have progressed enough to be able to figure it out pretty quickly. And as always, slow it down to make sure you get it 100% right.
Last edited by Thrasherx00 at Mar 16, 2015,