Hey guys, looking for a $500 amp for jamming/recording purposes. I don't gig so volume isn't needed. I'm looking for something quiet enough to be cranked up to achieve distortion while still not bothering my family. I'm looking for sounds from Led Zeppelin, Angus Young, etc all the way to the modern rock and punk bands like Three Days Grace, Four Year Strong (think Orange amps), etc

I'm eyeing the Marshall DSL5C atm. It has a 1w feature and seems to be what I'm looking for, but I've yet to try it out. Any other amps that might fit what I'm looking for? My guitar teacher was talking about getting the 15w Marshall just in case I do need extra volume but I don't think I'll be playing gigs.
If you're looking new, I'd take the 20w Peavey Valveking Micro head +cab (not necessarily the VK cab) over the DSL15. If used, an Egnater Rebel 20 may be perfect for you if you can find one. The Rebel is versatile in every sense but it's crunchy, mid-gain growl is where it shines the most, imo. I thought the DSL15 sounded better than the internet says it does but with $500 you could get a much better, used, amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
If you're looking new, I'd take the 20w Peavey Valveking Micro head +cab (not necessarily the VK cab) over the DSL15. If used, an Egnater Rebel 20 may be perfect for you if you can find one. The Rebel is versatile in every sense but it's crunchy, mid-gain growl is where it shines the most, imo. I thought the DSL15 sounded better than the internet says it does but with $500 you could get a much better, used, amp.

Cool, new is prefered but I'll go used if it's worth it. The rebel 20 looks awesome, does the tone hold up well when taking the watts down?
Last edited by The Bacon Man at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by The Bacon Man
Cool, new is prefered but I'll go used if it's worth it. The rebel 20 looks awesome, does the tone hold up well when taking the watts down?

The Rebel will sound very good at tv volume. There's a Watts knob that's not actually an attenuater but if its dialed off it's crunchier at lower volume and if maxed its cleaner. Also, it stays cleaner using all four power tubes. Pulling it all the way to the el84 side makes a better quiet crunchy tone. All the way to the 6v6 side softens the tone a bit which can be good for clean tones with a neck pup (unless you're playing loud). But when you have the opportunity to crank it and play some rock & roll, it'll make you proud. It covers a lot of ground, with class.

And it'll work with any cab.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by The Bacon Man
Good read, but I don't know what to do with the knowledge.
Then read it again, 'cause you evidently didn't pay enough attention.
Quote by The Bacon Man
I don't gig so volume isn't needed. I'm looking for something quiet enough to be cranked up to achieve distortion while still not bothering my family.
Thing is, if you crank a 1w amp using a relatively small tube (EL84 or 6V6) you are gonna get a sound that's plenty loud anyway and not distorted enough for what you want to do.

You're gonna get fuzz before you get the distortion you want, and your family's gonna hear you very clearly.
Quote by The Bacon Man
I'm looking for sounds from Led Zeppelin, Angus Young, etc all the way to the modern rock and punk bands like Three Days Grace, Four Year Strong (think Orange amps), etc
A DSL401 seems like the obvious choice to me here.

The sounds you're looking for are more pre distortion that power amp distortion, so to get these tones you simply turn the pre gain up and then you turn the master volume knob so that you have yourself the sound you want at the volume you want.

Everything sounds better at higher volumes and smaller amps don't sound better than bigger amps at lower volumes just 'cause they're smaller.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Then read it again, 'cause you evidently didn't pay enough attention.
Thing is, if you crank a 1w amp using a relatively small tube (EL84 or 6V6) you are gonna get a sound that's plenty loud anyway and not distorted enough for what you want to do.

You're gonna get fuzz before you get the distortion you want, and your family's gonna hear you very clearly.
A DSL401 seems like the obvious choice to me here.

The sounds you're looking for are more pre distortion that power amp distortion, so to get these tones you simply turn the pre gain up and then you turn the master volume knob so that you have yourself the sound you want at the volume you want.

Everything sounds better at higher volumes and smaller amps don't sound better than bigger amps at lower volumes just 'cause they're smaller.

Thanks. Are there any non-discontinued amps similar to the DLS401 I could try at the store? I'd like to get a feel for how the master volume effects tone.
^ What amps (brands) does your local store carry?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks. I haven't tried them, but the egnater tweaker might do a marshallish tone (and it as a master volume/preamp gain control). IIRC one of its settings is meant to sort of imitate a marshall. But I could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Thanks. I haven't tried them, but the egnater tweaker might do a marshallish tone (and it as a master volume/preamp gain control). IIRC one of its settings is meant to sort of imitate a marshall. But I could be wrong.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Just to clear up, this is the Four Year Strong tone I was talking about, that bright, punchy lead tone. One guitarist uses a JCM800 and an OR50 with a Tele (humbucker), and the other uses an Orange Thunderverb and a Soldano Avenger w/ a fat strat and an LP.

Pretty standard bright, high gain tone. Doubt any Marshall will have too much difficulty with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHesQ1erHg
i am not a fan of the tweaker. i think that they are very underwhelming. the switches don't do much more than a properly dialed EQ does in a loop . i had the 15. not for long.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Orange Tiny Terror is worth a look. Great Brit crunch tone, very useful master volume to get quiet when needed and takes pedals well.

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Cool guys, but do you think the DSL401 could achieve that Orange tone similar to the video? What about the Tiny Terror achieving the famous Marshall tones from the 70s-90s?

Looking for versatility, I'm just not sure how the Orange handles cleaner tones, you never see guys using them for cleaner music.
Quote by The Bacon Man
Cool guys, but do you think the DSL401 could achieve that Orange tone similar to the video? What about the Tiny Terror achieving the famous Marshall tones from the 70s-90s?

Looking for versatility, I'm just not sure how the Orange handles cleaner tones, you never see guys using them for cleaner music.

that is because the terror doesn't do cleans well. if you don't mind a little dirt they are great you will not get immaculate cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is because the terror doesn't do cleans well. if you don't mind a little dirt they are great you will not get immaculate cleans.

As expected. Any thoughts and getting an Orange tone out of a Marshall? They are similar but you can tell the difference.
Quote by The Bacon Man
As expected. Any thoughts and getting an Orange tone out of a Marshall? They are similar but you can tell the difference.

They can get pretty close. My advice is not to worry too much about "exact" or "perfect" replication of somebody else. Choose a nice tube amp and create your own awesome tone.

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
They can get pretty close. My advice is not to worry too much about "exact" or "perfect" replication of somebody else. Choose a nice tube amp and create your own awesome tone.

best advice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by The Bacon Man

The Orange has a very distinct throaty mids so I'd say most likely not...one of the reasons why I got a Tiny Terror is because I liked that mids and couldn't get it out of a Marshall. You can get a Marshall tone out of an Orange though, with the right eq pedal or using a Marshall overdrive (Guvnor).
i use my dual terror all the time. it is pretty nice for low volume playing at night. the mrs. sleeps deeply, but i still don't want to wake her.

fun amp though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
For Four Year Strong I'd do the TT, or if you can afford it one of the bigger Oranges (I like the OR15 and the TH30 a lot). I don't think that your average Marshall is quite thick enough.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.