So I just started out playing guitar and money is really tight, I currently have a crappy Volcano GL-15 solid state amp a friend gave to me, however I am looking to get the best possible tone when I play and hopefully start gigging, so my question would be is amplitube best to do that, or is it worse than a solid state?
The amp sim option WILL work for gigs!

Though you gotta consider a couple things.

First of all amplitube sound mediocre at best, you'll wanna check out some decent sounding amp sims so head into the recording section and read the amp sims sticky.

Then to make your setup sound half decent you'll need an audio interface, and while you could get an unbranded guitar link to save money, the result will not be stellar.
If you want something for gigging I'd recommend something like a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture EX.

In the end, that setup is gonna cost you less than a decent sounding "real" amp, but it may be a bit of a pain in the ass to carry your computer around at gigs and so on.

The small solid state amp will work as well but it won't sound good.
Lucky you, at live gigs people don't really care about that and the sound guy is gonna make you sound half decent at least.

If you don't have a PA system and a sound guy don't do that though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 15, 2015,
I always give the same advice to someone looking into getting a buget rig:
1. Try the used market.
2. Get something which keeps its value well (i.e. famous brands and models).

If I was starting out playing guitar again and needed a rig on a budget I'd get a Peavy Valveking amp top and a Harley Benton G212 Vintage cabinet. On the used market a purchase like that should set you back roughly 500 dollars (400 if you're lucky), but you will get back roughly the same amount you spent for it should you feel its time to move on to the expensive stuff later on. If you get some cheap no-name amp, usually you almost have to give it away to get rid of it, making it more expensive in the long run. If 500 bucks is much more than you can currently spare my best advice is to use what you've got already and to start saving up.

I hope that helps.
By the way, Spambot2, is that the Diplomatico-dude? XD The 12 year old is my favourite rum!
Amplitube high gain sound good but clean sounds are meh imo but i find there is a lot of noise on it.
Amplitude is terribad, and for its price you can get a vetta, vyper tube, or a decent non modeling amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
It really depends what your skills are, both options could work in a bind. To use Amplitube you'd have a way to connect unless the place has a PA, if it does then they can amplify your amp. I am not sure how bad that sounds but it might work in a bind as might Amplitube, but to pull it off you'd have to stick with one sound or have a midi pedal to change sounds for you.

I'd suggest that you look for new amp, sell the practice amp if anyone will give you some $ and establish a budget and sounds that you're looking to pull off.

Some people say that Amplitube is too expensive but they are not aware that their new pricing model gives you a basic amp for free and you can add a-la carte so you can end up with some decent sound at around $80, you won't have to buy the full expensive package anymore.

At $300 I'd definitely suggest you get the real thing, an amp.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by damillion
By the way, Spambot2, is that the Diplomatico-dude? XD The 12 year old is my favourite rum!
He is indeed
Quote by losing battle
Amplitude is terribad, and for its price you can get a vetta, vyper tube, or a decent non modeling amp.
I agree, but since there are nice sounding free amp sims, one might as well use one of those if he wants to save money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
a cheap used pod into the pa is probably the best budget (or back up) rig you can grab.

plus they're good for beginners as they have a headphone jack.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Only way to use Amplitube live would be to connect it to a PA system. But honestly get a Pod and use that instead. Sounds better than Amplitube. Works for bedroom practice connected to a stereo system through AUX input or with headphones if silence is required. For gigs you can connect it to the PA system easily.

Band practice may be problematic unless you invest into a powered speaker. You might want to buy a cheap atleast 60W solid state combo, like Peavey Bandit, for those purposes. Works as a live backup too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 16, 2015,