I've been playing the guitar for a few years (rock/metal mostly) , and I want to get a new guitar.

What i've been playing is a cheap locally-made "soloist"-ish guitar . (it cost me about $100)

The question is should I get a 6-string ? or a 7 ?

My budget is about $200-$250 , I do not intend to record stuff or play live , I'd play it just for recreation at home , or maybe jam with a few buddies...

I really like the idea of having an extra string to mess with...but in my budget the 6's i could get have better features than the 7's...

There aren't many used guitars for sale where I live...so I can't get a costlier guitar on the cheap

So should I get a 6 or a 7 ?
If you're tuning super low you'll want a 7 string beacuse it will play better. But on that budget you probably won't find a half-decent 7 string anyway. So, get a 6 string I guess.
I have nothing important to say
^ That's a fallacy. Half the time bands using 7 string guitars can just get away with a baritone 6 or a 6 with heavy strings.

If you just want to get a 7 to mess around with I'd say go for it. $200-250 isn't going to get a you a spectacular guitar though, 6 or 7. So keep that in mind if you buy a 7 and feel like you don't like it.

I can recommend a used Ibanez RG7321 or 7421 in that range though. Pretty solid guitars.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Only you can answer that question. Do you need a 7-string? Or a 6-string. Do you want one, or not? We can't answer these questions for you.

Can you tell us what other gear you have and if you use any of it.
You see, if you have gear you don't use, you can always sell it and that can add to your budget. If you don't want to sell anything I would just save up to around 450USD.
Around then you can find some kick-ass schecters and stuff like that.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
You aren't going to get a decent guitar ether way with that little money. Maybe a used 7321 like someone mentioned but you still probably won't find one for that cheap.

You don't need to get a 7 sting because you tune low though. After playing one for so long I'm not sure I could even ever go back to a six(though I'd like to) and get comfortable with the not as wide necks.
thanks for the replies everyone

I wasn't planning to get the 7 for low tunings , just for extending my range

And I don't really wanna sell any of my gear....maybe I'll just get a Jackson js22-7 or a Schecter sgr c7 ... as I said , I don't really need a spectacular guitar , I want one to just mess around with when I'm free..

thanks for the advice , everyone
have you played a seven much?

i had one, and i didn't like the feel. they are a lot different than six stringers, a lot of people love them, some don't. but play some before you buy one.

i would save some money up and get something better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
have you played a seven much?

i had one, and i didn't like the feel. they are a lot different than six stringers, a lot of people love them, some don't. but play some before you buy one.

i would save some money up and get something better.

yeah i'll definitely try out some at the store before buying

I've never played a seven.

The thing is that I'm a student and where i live , stores don't offer part-time jobs..so I have to rely on my parents for all my expenses...and 250 is the best they could do right now...maybe 300...so saving up is not a choice

thanks for the advice , tho
If make threads like this, you really dont known what you want which is bad. Figure out whats your need man.
Quote by rockstar256
If make threads like this, you really dont known what you want which is bad. Figure out whats your need man.

quite right. but there are times when you don't know what you need. this is one of those times for me.
Flip a coin. You don't have specific needs to be met, so it's just a choice between "features" and an extra string.
I play sevens: Don't buy a seven. You don't know what you really want or need. It's just an extra string.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Unless you know you need a seven string, you don't need a seven string (yay, tautology!). If you have to ask the answer is no.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
thanks for the advice , all of you I'll head out to the store , and try a few sevens . If i feel like I need one in my life , i'll get one. Otherwise i'll get a six.
I once had a 7-string, but I just couldn't get used to it, having seven strings annoyed me, so I sold it again. I underestimated just how different it feels.

That said, I wanted it for the lower tuning. I'm thinking about getting a deep/low guitar again some day, but that will be a 6-string baritone. Schecter makes an extreme model that's a full octave lower, I must try that when I get the opportunity.

Quote by TheStig1214
^ That's a fallacy. Half the time bands using 7 string guitars can just get away with a baritone 6 or a 6 with heavy strings.

That's true, the one problem is that getting a 6-string baritone with a limited budget might be difficult, since there are far fewer around than 7-strings. It's a niche market really. I also don't understand why so many struggle with huge 8- or 9-string necks who only use the lowest four strings anyway.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Mar 17, 2015,