So I have played for a few months now and I am still struggling with finding a picking technique that works well for me. I try learning metal/rock lead guitar. So I really want to learn how to pick fast and smoothly with a good sound without tensing up or getting stuck in the strings when playing.

I have had a problem with my picking hand when I am resting it against the strings/bridge to mute unplayed strings and to make it more table to get smaller picking motions and more accurate. Either I rest it too hard so the hand gets stuck or friction between the picking hand and the strings/bridge becomes to big and it gets hard to move the hand across the strings smoothly without getting stuck or a "laggy" motion. Or I rest the picking hand too soft so it does not get stable enough and my picking motion becomes too big and less accurate and goes all over the place.

To solve this I tried putting a piece of plastic tape/plastic film across the part of my palm that rests against the strings/bridge. I then tried playing and it seems like the plastic tape/film reduces the friction a lot when playing and moving my picking hand and it feels like I can move it much easier and more smoothly without tensing up or getting stuck in the strings/on the bridge. What do you think about this idea? Would it be a bad habit to play like this with tape on your palm? Is this "cheating"? Have you tried this? Do professional lead guitar players do this to reduce friction between the hand and the guitar and what do they use?

Thanks for your answers!
That's a neat idea. What type of plastic tape/film do you use?

Does the tape stay on if your hand gets sweaty?
Doesn't Kirk Hammett does the same thing?

I wouldn't consider it cheating, as long as it works it's fine. It actually sounds like a good idea, I might try it out some time. I don't know if it is a bad habit or not though.
Last edited by DanyFS at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by Virgman
That's a neat idea. What type of plastic tape/film do you use?

Does the tape stay on if your hand gets sweaty?

I don't know but I think one of my problems are that my hand gets sweaty and it sticks to the guitar lol. But with the plastic tape between it doesn't matter. It's just simple transparent plastic tape. About 4-5 cm wide. Put it everywhere where my hand might touch the bridge/strings. I think I will stick to this a few days/hours and see how much it helps. I guess it wouldn't be a bad habit. Tape is cheap and always easy to carry with you no matter when/where you are going to play and Kirk uses it and he is good so...
Last edited by Zerpent93 at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
Doesn't Kirk Hammett does the same thing?

I wouldn't consider it cheating, as long as it works it's fine. It actually sounds like a good idea, I might try it out some time. I don't know if it is a bad habit or not though.

Looked it up. Yes he does. Some kind of white tape I think .
Quote by Zerpent93
Is this "cheating"?

When it comes to music, almost nothing is cheating unless you speed up recordings and lie and say that you didn't. It's not cheating if you speed up recordings and you are transparent about doing so.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Does it affect your palm muting?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Does it affect your palm muting?

I'm just a self taught beginner and have not played much with palm muting so I think someone better should try it and answer that. Try it and see how it sounds . I guess it does not affect it very much.
Kirk Hammett uses tape because he has bad heavy-handed technique which leads to his hand getting torn open and bleeding.

It's fine experimenting with stuff, but there's really no shortcut to learning to play. If you have problem with precision, fix that by practicing instead of trying to invent ways to not have to bother with it. A bad habit will be extremely frustrating to fix later on.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Kirk Hammett uses tape because he has bad heavy-handed technique which leads to his hand getting torn open and bleeding.

It's fine experimenting with stuff, but there's really no shortcut to learning to play. If you have problem with precision, fix that by practicing instead of trying to invent ways to not have to bother with it. A bad habit will be extremely frustrating to fix later on.
This
Better to slow right down,deconstruct your technique and find out what's causing the issue.
Maybe you just need a little more finness?
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by EyeballPaul
This
Better to slow right down,deconstruct your technique and find out what's causing the issue.
Maybe you just need a little more finness?

How do you solve this then? Maybe it's because I have sweaty hands? I know I need practice but just asking if you have any tips.
Sit down in a relaxed position, focus on staying as relaxed as possible - and slowly work on your picking technique. It could be as easy an exercise as playing a scale up and down, very slow at first. Your hand can well rest the palm on the strings to mute them, but there shouldn't be any friction and you shouldn't anchor any other part of your hand.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.