I've been building a "21st century guitar" which basically features touch controls via an inbuilt Arduino UNO microcontroller. Both the audio and serial data is transmitted wirelessly on separate circuits. As soon as I turn on the UNO I get crazy amounts of interference through the pickup. Such as a constant whine and white noise. I've tried raising the bit rate of the UNO to above the audio spectrum which helps a bit but not enough.

I am basically in need of a super shielding solution that will block interference from an inch away. I don't think the usual copper tape lining will cut it.

To make matters more complicated I have no true ground line as the audio is transmitted wirelessly.

The only pickup is a "Warman 12 gauge" overwound humbucker which doesn't exactly help the issue.

If anyone's got any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!

edit, I've been looking into Lace pickups. Apparently they have inbuilt shielding...
Last edited by Tune my fork at Mar 15, 2015,
are the wires you used to connect everything shielded?
do the wires cross each other?
You might as well try the copper tape it deff won't hurt anything
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Most of the wires for the uno aren't shielded, there's about 30 odd wires going back and forth so it just wasn't practical to use thick wires. Maybe I could just wrap one shield round all of them?

The pickup wire is shielded and is soldered directly to the wireless board.

Yeah I will do the tape, but to get in there means disassembling everything so I want to do it all in one go if there's any extra stuff I can do.
When you breadboarded this, how far was the microcontroller from the pickup?

What wireless unit are you using?

You probably shouldn't be pickup specific ("Lace only") -- you'll defeat several of your purposes and have an unmarketable product.

Might be worth examining an old variax and seeing how they're handling it; they're not doing anything wirelessly, but the current models have both magnetic and piezo pickups to deal with as well as a whole lot of circuitry onboard. Might also check with the folks at iGuitar (dot com) and see if they're doing anything similar that would produce similar results.

Might also check with the guys at Sustainiac to see what kind of shielding/grounding solutions they've had to deal with.
a schematic or flow chart would help. no clue how you plan on getting the pickup signal to the transmitter.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Thanks for the tips guys,

The humbucker is soldered directly to the circuit board of a http://www.akg.com/pro/p/pt40mini transmitter. No volume or tone etc, Soldered directly to the board. The transmitter is powered by a single AA Battery.

I've now narrowed down the interference to come from the batteries for the microcontroller. The The batteries are 5 AA's in series directly below the humbucker (In the cavity previously used for the tremolo springs.) A thin piece of wood (approx 3mm) is all that separates them. If I move the the pickup about three inches away the noise stops. Unfortunately I can't separate them so need to find a shielding solution.

To be clear the transmitter/humbucker is on a completely separate circuit to the microcontroller. There are no common grounds. I am unsure if a faraday cage will work as there are no grounds (to earth) as it is completely wireless...
What exactly do you have the Arduino doing?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
The arduino is connected to various sensors such as an IR proximity sensor an accelerometer and many capacitive touch sensors. It's then relaying the serial data via a bluetooth module to a pc.

The main noise is from the battery but changes depends on what the arduino is powering. E.g. the batteries are noisiest when the IR sensor is plugged in to the arduino.