Hello,

after searching through different threads I couldn't find the answers I am looking for (and I kindly ask the moderators to move the thread if it is in the wrong forum section)

I have a gig in two weeks, playing rhythm guitar for my friend, who is a singer (I am only strumming the chords, nothing fancy). The gig will be hold in the local gymnasium (and I believe the acoustics there are pretty much non-existing), and they only have a simple PA system. My questions are:

1. Do I need direct box for plugging my acoustic guitar into the PA?

2. Is passive DI box good enough (I have one lying around) or do I need an active one?

3. Is it possible to put looper or other effects between guitar and DI box and then send that sound (signal) to PA?

I have zero to none experience in gigging with acoustic guitar and my gear is nothing special and very simple (Stagg acoustic guitar and that passive DI box I mentioned before). If there is anything else I should know about the gig like that, please, let me know.

Thank you for all your answers and help in advance
I don't know anything about a DI box, never used one.

I've plugged an acoustic into a PA plenty times, it works fine. Get a sound hole baffle.

I'm currently using a Behringer mixer as an acoustic amp, and the line out from that into the PA, that works well too and gives me whatever effects I want for just the acoustic, more EQ control and still gets a good clean signal.

I've also used an acoustic amp, wish I had bought it, but didn't think it was enough power for the band I was playing in then. IF you're going to be planning live with an acoustic that is an idea to look into.

For what you have, as far as I Know the DI box should work ok, but you should be able to just plug into the PA and be in good shape. The looper should also work in between guitar and PA. IF it were me I think I would just plug straight into the PA and not worry about it. See if you can set up in advance and try it out. Again get a soundhole baffle. Should be about $10-15 at music stores, stops most feedback problems. If you don't have one, expect feedback.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
the right DI box will allow you to tweak your sound when stuck into a PA. we heard laurence juber live at a venue we've seen other acoustic players play, and his tone was just beautiful - nicer than some other players there, and also i've played the guitar he was playing and his dialed in sound made it all the nicer.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
It's a gym. The passive DI will be just fine and I gig with one 90% of the time.

If you were touring world stages I would recommend one of these so you could really dial-in your tone:

http://www.amazon.com/LR-Baggs-Para-Acoustic-D-I/dp/B001E95KEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426646619&sr=8-1&keywords=lr+baggs+para+acoustic+di
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 17, 2015,
Thank you all for your answers!

I guess I'll just stick with the passive DI box I have and maybe use a soundhole buffle. I hope there will be enough time for a proper sound test.

Again, thank you all for taking your time to help me