Hey,

I've been looking for the best '67 era speaker (late 60's is fine) and I have seen the Eric Johnson EJ1250 but I don't know speakers too well and I'm hoping someone can tell me which are really good vintage speakers?

I should clarify, I like the Eric Johnson tone, very vintage but I'm also open to vintage plus kind of speakers, like vintage plus a tighter low end or smoother highs or whatever. Thanks guys!!

Cody
Celestion Blue, G12M25 and G12H30 are all good choices. But it makes a big difference depending on the amp they are paired with and the cab they are loaded in
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When I think vintage tone I think Celestion Greenbacks.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I don't think there are just good vintage speakers. There are good speakers for certain amps. If you tell the forum what kind of amp you are trying to match them with, surely that would help a ton.
Going off the Greenback comment, I was doing a little research into it about a year ago (never pulled the trigger), but apparently the newer greenbacks (Celestion) aren't nearly as good as the old ones.

Austin Speaker Works does a model called 'Crossroads' that's modeled after the old greenbacks you'd find in a 100w half-stack from the late 60s/70s but as a 70w. Apparently they're pretty dope. Might be worth checking out.
Depends on where you are. There's a speaker manufacturer in Melbourne that makes an accurate clone of the old greenbacks. Might even be worth it anyway with the AUD being worth so little atm.

http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/auxpage_lorantz/
http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/category/replacement-guitar-speakers/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
maybe take a peak at weber.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Jensen alnico's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
I don't think there are just good vintage speakers. There are good speakers for certain amps.

+1

Quote by gibson52198
A Germino Filmore amp and a Port City Pearl head

you know, with boutiquey amps like that it might be worth emailing the manufacturer to see what speakers they recommend for the tones you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gibson52198
Hey,

I've been looking for the best '67 era speaker (late 60's is fine) and I have seen the Eric Johnson EJ1250 but I don't know speakers too well and I'm hoping someone can tell me which are really good vintage speakers?

I should clarify, I like the Eric Johnson tone, very vintage but I'm also open to vintage plus kind of speakers, like vintage plus a tighter low end or smoother highs or whatever. Thanks guys!!

Cody

there area bunch of cool speakers from that era,

JBL (D-120)
CTS (squarebacks and cheap alnicos)
Rola
sunn transducer speakers (lots of styles that are cool)
utahs
oxfords
cerwin vega
fane
and of course, celestion
jensen even had some neat ceramic speakers from that era as well.

those are just the ones off the top of my head. it would be very hard to give an accurate answer based on the information provided.

greenbacks are great for a classic rock tone, i find them pretty narrow in application though and prefer something with a bit more versatility. honestly i think a G12M-25 is pretty boring, if you want a greenback styled speaker with more versatility then i'd recommend some kinda scumback or a weber silver bell or blue dog.

i prefer the alnico 1228K style sunn speakers from around that era (this was more a mid 70's speaker), had a lot of range with great cleans and dirty tones when pushed, though wasn't quite as aggressive as a green back.

i think eminence still makes a 1258K speaker that might be similar (i think it is a ceramic version of that 1228K speaker).

if you want something more geared to a clean tone then a JBL D-120 was the upgrade speaker of that era. great sounding speakers, very rich. weber makes some clones and versions called the California 12 or Chicago 12.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 16, 2015,