Page 1 of 2
What do you do with people who are overly boastful and make you feel bad about stuff. Like blurting out about how rich their parents are, or how much money they are managing to earn.

Are you like "hey I don't really wanna hear about your wages thank you very much" or do you just let them get on with it?

Or are you one of those boastful people we all just wanna punch in the face?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
let them go on with it until they start making fun of me because I'm poor, at which point fists may start flying.

the one wealthy person I know is modest about it though.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Mar 15, 2015,
I have some friends like that.

When they get really arrogant I will demean what they are saying like it doesn't matter. My reaction of course is about as immature as their action, but it makes us all feel better.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've always loved when people said boasting instead of bragging. It's always been one of those words I learned in like 5th or 6th grade and tried to use it instead of the more common ones.
i never even see that tbh. but to me there is a difference between being proud and being better. i like when people like themselves and i don't mind them sharing that. i only have a problem when "i'm sexy af" becomes "i'm hotter than everyone here don't even speak to me". but it's more in the attitude than words.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
A lot of people in my friend group like to hardship brag. They like to compare how bad they have things, from big to small. From deceased loved ones to how many hours of sleep they got. It's ridiculous.

At that point I usually just leave because I don't get a boner from talking about negative shit. I truly do not understand their desire to do it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
What do you do with people who are overly boastful and make you feel bad about stuff. Like blurting out about how rich their parents are, or how much money they are managing to earn.

I've only met a couple of people that were like that. I distanced myself from them as much as possible but they were already more or less universally disliked and avoided.

I'd like to think that if anyone seriously made fun of someone's social standing in front of me I'd have the backbone to explain to them in great detail why they aren't even worth the air they breathe.

As for other types of bragging, it can be annoying if someone does it constantly but usually not really worth a conflict.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by eGraham
A lot of people in my friend group like to hardship brag. They like to compare how bad they have things, from big to small. From deceased loved ones to how many hours of sleep they got. It's ridiculous.

At that point I usually just leave because I don't get a boner from talking about negative shit. I truly do not understand their desire to do it.

I'm not sure what is worse, hardship bragging or boasting about how good you have got it.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by eGraham

Now this I completely relate with.
For me, the former. At least when my friends are well-to-do, I can appreciate that they are comfortable with their lives.

But I actively call them out on it when they do things like that and I think they are starting to get the hint.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I'll usually get inspired to do better.

Boasting really doesn't bother me. If it's really bad then it just becomes funny. If it's not so bad then I just take it as the person is proud but insecure and I try to make them more secure. We're all looking for validation.
I have some friends like that and I don't really mind. They are just proud of reaching goals and accomplishing things for the most part and I'm not bitter that they are doing well. I'm happy for them and hope they can find meaning beyond that.

Growing up I definitely knew some people that were just really arrogant about perceived wealth/status but that's just because their family was new to money.
Some of my friends give me flack because my parents make a fair amount of money if I say I'm skint but I just always remind them that it's my parents money, not mine.

I never mention about my parents or their money because I hate being thought of as some stuck up prick, when I'm actually the opposite.

As far as other people, I don't really hang out with people who are like that, even if they do have money, but if I am forced to socialize with those type of people I just try and change the subject, or just try and find normal people to talk to.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I have some friends like that and I don't really mind. They are just proud of reaching goals and accomplishing things for the most part and I'm not bitter that they are doing well. I'm happy for them and hope they can find meaning beyond that.

Growing up I definitely knew some people that were just really arrogant about perceived wealth/status but that's just because their family was new to money.

I feel there's a difference between being proud of your achievements and being boastful. When you're proud of something like a promotion or a good exam result you can be proud of it. When you start going into specifics like the exact percentage of the result you got, or how much you'll be earning each day, that's when people start to be resentful.

Yeah, I've got friends who constantly talk about how much they make and how much they will make. I let it go at first because they are clearly proud of it but when it becomes a point of conversation every single time, like goddamn. I'd imagine this is what talking to Xiaoxi is like
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I feel there's a difference between being proud of your achievements and being boastful. When you're proud of something like a promotion or a good exam result you can be proud of it. When you start going into specifics like the exact percentage of the result you got, or how much you'll be earning each day, that's when people start to be resentful.

If you are resentful and bitter about hearing the successes of someone else you should consider looking inwardly. Is it really difficult to give a friend a bit of validation if that is what he needs?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
If you are resentful and bitter about hearing the successes of someone else you should consider looking inwardly. Is it really difficult to give a friend a bit of validation if that is what he needs?

No one is resentful of a friend being successful. What causes resentment is when peopl highlight their worth and the money they are earning relative to yours.

You will congratulate a friend when they get their dream job or a big promotion. When they start boasting about their salary or their bonuses that is when it gets too far. Respect goes both ways in friendships.

Quote by Cianyx
I'd imagine this is what talking to Xiaoxi is like

It isn't? Get to know folks a little better.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Are you like "hey I don't really wanna hear about your wages thank you very much" or do you just let them get on with it?

i say its their round and i'll have a pint and a short.
Don't know if it's boasting, but we generally make fun of one of our friends who studied Language Sciences (loosely translated). Cause the best he can do is become a teacher or something. It's ok though, cause he also makes fun of himself :
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fat Lard
ITT people boasting about not boasting

Clearly you don't understand the benefits of not boasting.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Clearly you don't understand the benefits of not boasting.

I'm not trying to have people think I'm poor and shit. Dont be a hater bro
Clearly you don't understand the benefits of people thinking you're poor and shit.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

If I'm like "ohh man I love my job, i make such and such" And then they're like "I make more such and such" I'm not gonna be like "Yo dawg, only I get to brag right now, dick"

But if they just walked in the room like "I'm so rich and my dick is so big" and everybody else is talking about poptarts or something then yea, they're probably an asshole and I just wouldn't hang out with them or invite them places.

Also, people thinking you're poor is awesome.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

^ One-uppers are pretty bad though, IMO (though yeah, just generally). We had a childhood friend who was a compulsive liar who just had to be/have the best everything and anything. (though I suppose it was kind of just a little sad, since he had a pretty shitty childhood/dysfunctional family... still doesn't make up for it)

I remember one day we were over at a friend's house and he was showing something on his computer, and he goes (completely straight-faced and nonchalant) "Oh yeah, I used to have this exact same computer... except mine was about... 4 times faster..."

That was an inside joke to us for years
Last edited by Fat Lard at Mar 15, 2015,
Quote by Zaphikh
It isn't? Get to know folks a little better.

Joke

----------
Your head
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
you guys all need to relax, jesus
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Relax? I don't need to relax

WHY DO YOU THINK I NEED TO RELAXK
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham

Dude, I've got a friend like that who honestly thinks he is some kind of Horatio Alger story. It's nauseating.
#DTWD
Hardship bragging is also the worst. In military culture, it comes across as "war stories"
My God, it's full of stars!
^ Is it safe to say almost any story that starts out with "So there I was ..." is one of those?
#DTWD
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Page 1 of 2