Song 6
1 6%
Song 7
4 22%
Voters: 18.
Page 1 of 2
H3110

... that he is a mod.

Let's hope he enjoys whatever little time as a mod he has left.
May he use his limited mod powers wisely.
We no longer have 69 members in our group.

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Stargazing" (Joshua1207)

2 - "Mind Meld" (ultimate-slash)

3 - "Laneway Blues" (mind_meld)

4 - "The Network" (sickman411, semiquaver)

5 - "French Actresses" (whywefight)

6 - "Sounds From Monday Morning" (FoOltz)

7 - "Droid" (SirZep)

Honorable mentions:
"Summer's End" (Joshua1207)
"I Am Not A Metal Machine Man" (whywefight, FoOltz)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are last week's most voted songs:

From SirZep, the song "Smile";
from nico_9550, the song "A Big Surprise";
and finally, from deadsmileyface (a.k.a. Mod), the song "beautifully, extravagantly, decidedly poignant (first movement)",
all of them with 3 votes each!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Thursday. The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group.

------------------
Russia seems like a place where fun stuff happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSBKReREZ8

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33294707
Quote by SirZep
You might wanna add the lyrics in the description...

I'm fairly adamant against putting lyrics in the description usually but I made an exception this time
Short answer yes but its only because I don't really like my lyrics normally

I love it when bands do that though, really. I think its awesome to leave some intrigue in a song
Quote by SirZep
I hovered over the link before I clicked it just to check it wasn't a link to something John Frusciante related.
I voted for you actually. I think it's one of my favourite songs from this entire competition

And just for the record, I do like Aussie accents
Quote by ultimate-slash
I voted for you actually. I think it's one of my favourite songs from this entire competition

And just for the record, I do like Aussie accents

*with one nostril blocked* Thanks maite

Edit: That's a big call :s
Last edited by mind_meld at Mar 16, 2015,
It's already been established that 3366 is the best.

Quote by ultimate-slash
I voted for you actually. I think it's one of my fav...
Most of the people in the songwriting group are already my multis

Well, actually they're all Baby Joel's multis, as am I, but let's not get into the details here.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Mar 16, 2015,
I was talking about the one in the OP, but the other one would be the Little Bird song?
Cause that was really great as well.

The Laneway Blues song reminds me of Tom Waits mixed with 90's alternative pop, which is why I really like it.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Mar 16, 2015,
Voted for SirZep's song, while some of the rhymes seemed a bit forced in the lyrics, the song still appealed to me

Quote by mind_meld
Hey everyone, vote for me, I have an Aussie accent.

if you make a country song with a texan accent, I will vote for you
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Mar 16, 2015,
Quote by mind_meld
Hey everyone, vote for me, I have an Aussie accent.

yeah but I can play saxophone
Quote by nico_9550
My vote has gone to mind meld, the song or SirZep's muse? You'll never know

Muahaha, my plan is working. The voting will be chaos
Quote by nico_9550
My vote has gone to mind meld, the song or SirZep's muse? You'll never know

I guess it's me either way then
Quote by mind_meld

what, you wanted a challenge, I give you something and you shoot it down!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by whywefight
Short answer yes but its only because I don't really like my lyrics normally

So much this
I'm a bit self conscious about my lyrics (I say 'my lyrics' but they've been a joint effort for the past few weeks at least) so I've only made a few of them public. Though I might just add the lyrics to my/our back catalogue on Soundcloud because I feel like there's really no point in keeping them private. I also don't like to read songs' lyrics while I'm listening to them btw.

Anyway I've listened to all the songs and you guys know I like to have my second listen before I vote so I won't vote for now, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for whywefight, his song really stood out for me. mind_meld and SirZep had really cool stuff too.
1 - Cute This conveyed innocence, childish wonderment and spaciousness to me. Liked the bit when the percussive bit kicked in.

2 - hehehe well it is my username and has a charming still of Spock and Kirk from TOS...

3 - These were brand new strings, heavier gauge than what I normally play and I'd had a drink (or two) before recording so my rhythm was a little off. Anyway, fun fact: Melbourne is famous for its laneways and there are some pretty awesome laneways/bars... and some downright scary laneways.

4 - On first listen I didn't think too much. But the second time I realised how awesome that chord progression was! There was a bit that was very QOTSA... 'I sat by the ocean' prechorus is E F# G# I think, you guys were doing the equivalent of E F# G# B.Although the vocals seemed to drift a bit, it was a well written piece of music. Would also have loved to see the lyrics.... Voted for this one

5 - Sometimes I get these really weird and random images and concepts in my head. This song will forever be associated with luncheon alongside Audrey Hepburn (in her youth of course) on a sunny afternoon, in Paris, watching the passersby pass by. Dw no one was eating salad I do love a good piano

6 - For some reason I have just thought this song reminds me of Nirvana. Moody acoustic, the intro was the highlight for me though.

7 - I wish I was a droid. Nice rhythm you got going there. Foot tapped and head bobbed.
HA SUCK IT RYAN

I mean I totally didn't do the intro to his song that would mean that I worked on two songs in one week

Oh my, the amount of in this thread is out of control.

Anyway, I voted for Foltz because I really loved what he did with the intro I sent him, we were planning on doing a full song but he demod the song on acoustic and it was pretty much perfect.

Also, Audrey Hepburn isn't terribly French but that's still basically a perfect visual for my song
Quote by mind_meld
4 - On first listen I didn't think too much. But the second time I realised how awesome that chord progression was! There was a bit that was very QOTSA... 'I sat by the ocean' prechorus is E F# G# I think, you guys were doing the equivalent of E F# G# B.Although the vocals seemed to drift a bit, it was a well written piece of music. Would also have loved to see the lyrics.... Voted for this one

I actually got a bit paranoid mid-recording that we were ripping off I Sat By The Ocean and we went and listened to the bit and semiquaver was all like nah don't worry m8 it's not that similar but there you go
(and yeah, the chords are A B C# E so it's basically the same as what you said)

And I'll post the lyrics on Soundcloud later. The chorus lyrics are cheesy as **** but yeah I'll put them up.

Also FoOltz, did I spot a reference to an early-ass song of yours?
Quote by sickman411

Can't ever sneak one past you.

Quote by whywefight
HA SUCK IT RYAN

I mean I totally didn't do the intro to his song that would mean that I worked on two songs in one week

Oh my, the amount of in this thread is out of control.

Anyway, I voted for Foltz because I really loved what he did with the intro I sent him, we were planning on doing a full song but he demod the song on acoustic and it was pretty much perfect.

No one had to know Dave!
Also technically this means wwf voted for himself.
#cheatingcheater
Quote by sickman411

Wow that's kinda incredible really
Quote by sickman411
I actually got a bit paranoid mid-recording that we were ripping off I Sat By The Ocean and we went and listened to the bit and semiquaver was all like nah don't worry m8 it's not that similar but there you go
(and yeah, the chords are A B C# E so it's basically the same as what you said)

I would've never in a million years drawn that parallel
Sorry that I havent been able to participate in these in a long time(not that I had written any actual songs... but whatever), but life happens... what's up for next week?

1) Nice instrumental, almost lullaby-y :P #kawaii reminded me of the last instrumental track in 13 by Blur

2) Nice acoustic track, not a fan of the first vocal thing... but great song whatsoever.

3)First time hearing you... nice blues you have going in there

4) It sounds like interpol/joy division if the band was more relaxed, good appeal.

5) Salad :lol: Liked this one but the chant/chorus thing.

6)the intro reminds me of U2 - Ultraviolet or who's gonna ride your wild horses. My onlu critic is that the guitar overpowers your voice.

7)Nice drummin in there, and song as well.

My vote is for #3
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
sickman411 told me to come here.

This just isn't my thing, so my criticism won't really be fair. It felt like the styles clashed too often. There seems to be snaps and claps and it kind of upsets the chimey vibes of the bells and such. It's also really way too melody-driven and the bells kind of dominate the entire space. I wouldn't sit down and listen to it, but I could see this working really well in a film score of an independent film or something.

For what you were trying to accomplish, I think it was pretty good. I think if the kick, snaps and claps were replaced with something more appropriate and the melody was more sparsely spaced and more quiet, it's something I'd enjoy.

I dig the eerie nature of this guitar arrangement. Simple and restrained, and creates a cool atmosphere. However, I don't think it makes sense with the topic of the song. To me, it seems like you're writing about your love for a person and being so in tune with that person that you two are "one," so to speak. I just don't associate an eerie atmosphere with that.

The chorus is a bit abrupt and feels like it comes out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure the key changes and I've never heard a song change keys for a chorus before and it seems out of place.

I think some work could've done some work on the melody. To me, the first three lines of each verse's stanza work well but the "we are one/all is done" lines don't.

I like this a lot as a blues fan. I'd love it if the guitar playing was cleaned up a bit and if you'd have used a bit more power to make some parts more intense because as it stands, the song is dynamically uneventful. It sounds like you're holding back as you get quieter on the chorus. I'd also love to hear some embellishments on the instrumentation- some guitar feels in between chord changes would make it very interesting.

This has potential to be a great song. I do love me a C#m - A - E.

There's too much going on in the chorus. Too many cymbals and chord changes that upset the steadiness of the rest of the song.

The chord progression doesn't feel right done by a guitar with whatever modulation effect that is (chorus, probably. I don't know). I think an organ preset on a keyboard would have been a better fit for it, with some kind of bright single coil guitar on a neck position backing the chord progression.

The vocals kind of fit with the vibe but some clearer enunciation would have done the song a great service. The vocal inflection makes the lyrics a tad indiscernible.

I need you to be salad. Great Jesse Lacey impression.

Well done. Great instrumental arrangement, the buildup is really good. I think I just have one complaint- that "I need more money, I need less hours" is lackluster through the lowest notes. It's a very low note and I think it would be more suitable to your range if it was three or four semitones higher.

It's a bit boring, but really only because of the quarter note downstrokes. I do like the simple C-F progression in the verse, but with some embellishments on the chord progression, it could be a very good song.

Wow. This is terrific. If it were mixed and mastered to my liking, I'd listen to this on a regular basis. The drums are really overwhelming to me, especially that snare. But it's very catchy. Change the acoustic to a Strat set to a neck pickup (lol I said this to another song but I think it would make me love this particular submission).

This has potential to dominate indie airwaves, even the mainstream. It's got my vote.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Great Jesse Lacey impression.

whoa please simmer down with the completely untrue compliments

Quote by chrismendiola
Well done. Great instrumental arrangement, the buildup is really good. I think I just have one complaint- that "I need more money, I need less hours" is lackluster through the lowest notes. It's a very low note and I think it would be more suitable to your range if it was three or four semitones higher.

I do totally get what you mean, and I was back and forth about keeping that part in the song. But the monotony was kinda part of the point because I made this song because I was tired of people complaining about their jobs so that part was really sarcastic. But I didn't really hit that note very well so I definitely could have done better on the execution.
Page 1 of 2