Has anyone tried mic'ing an Orange PPC 108 8" cab at a gig, and are there any obvious do's and don'ts one should be aware of? Am considering running an 18W handwired all-tube custom amp through this for the sheer convenience

The cab sounds great in the bedroom and the overdriven sound is enough for band practice; cleans are very difficult to hear over the drums; yet to try mic'ing this so far....
Quote by 18WCleanBoost
Has anyone tried mic'ing an Orange PPC 108 8" cab at a gig, and are there any obvious do's and don'ts one should be aware of? Am considering running an 18W handwired all-tube custom amp through this for the sheer convenience

The cab sounds great in the bedroom and the overdriven sound is enough for band practice; cleans are very difficult to hear over the drums; yet to try mic'ing this so far....

phuck no. get a decent 1x12" cab and put away the toys.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
phuck no. get a decent 1x12" cab and put away the toys.

Already have the matched 1x12" with a V30, but it's bit of a nuisance to cart to and fro practice and into some of the more seedy venues....hence wondering...
Quote by 18WCleanBoost
Already have the matched 1x12" with a V30, but it's bit of a nuisance to cart to and fro practice and into some of the more seedy venues....hence wondering...

a 1x12" probably weighs less than 20lbs. i wouldn't worry about that cab in any venue, i would worry more about the head. an 8" isn't going to sound good.

i built an 18w ans use it with a 2x12 orange cab. st
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do it! As long as it's mic'd it should be no problem at all. How many epic gold and platinum albums were recorded with a Fender Champ??? A lot, and they sounded pretty good to me. Nothing fancy about the stock 8" Champ speaker. It's just a generic Jensen. Trust your ears. If it sounds good, it is good.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/productspotlight/gearandinstruments/10-huge-sounds-recorded-521/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 16, 2015,
I think what trashed is getting at is the quality of the particular 8" cab. Of course you can get wonderful sounds from a small speaker/amp, but it's gotta be good regardless of size.

Imo the fact it's 'supposed' to be paired with the micro terror kinda puts me off it.
The 1x8 ppc is a toy, it is not for gigging
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 16, 2015,
If it sounds good to you then mic it up and it will work.
Everything mic'd will work.

Thing is, for most things you'll want a bigger cab with a bigger (also better sounding if ya ask me) speaker.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I gig with a 74 Fender Champ silverface, it does pretty well and is loud enough to handle the low volume gigs we play. The only disadvantage is it's hard to get enough bass out of the 8" speaker, which came from a Gorilla practice amp and sounds great. Mic it for recording and it does an excellent job. I don't mic it for gigs, don't need to.

Try it and see, if you mic it and set the mic about an inch off center it should pick up more bass, and might do pretty well. Depends on how good the speaker is.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by 18WCleanBoost

You just need to mike it and listen. Until you do that, you know nothing about how it will work for you. Bedrooms won't tell you anything and it's obvious that you have to do something to get the sound levels up, so get to it. Chances are really good that you're not going to see any benefit to moving to a 12" speaker with your 18W, but who knows? As far as "seedy" venues go, I've been carrying a Pod HD (bean) and a foot pedal into those and running everything through the PA. Remember that your sound is going to be defined by the speaker, the mike, the PA and the sound guy, not by the handwiring of your toob amp.
Thanks for the observations guys ....in fact I have discovered one of the (perhaps obvious?) issues - it's not so much the sound quality (which I like, despite the general consensus on UG) - if you're used to using your own cab as your monitor on stage (which I am), anything under 1X12" is next to useless

Other than that, mic'ing definitely takes care of speaker size issues, if not sound quality...in the early days I've gigged with a Roland Cube 20XL and even a Spider III 15 W (!!!) so I know...