I've been looking over a number of guitars for the last couple of weeks and so far my favoured option is a Jackson Pro DK2QM with an OFR bridge. It's a very good price for something with a great neck, good pickups and a high quality locking trem. I've pretty much discounted everything else but over the weekend I was looking at some Ibanez models. No Ibanez, unless it's very expensive, seems to have decent pickups, but that's not the end of the world as long as the guitar is cheap enough to begin with and some models do appear to be quite a bit cheaper than the Jackson. The bit I don't really understand is the vast array of different bridges they seem to offer. What I really need to know is which models of locking trems do Ibanez offer that might be considered to be as good (or better?) as the OFR that's on the Jackson. A lot seem to offer the Edge Zero II but that bridge seems to be available all the way down to some Standard models, which leads me to assume that the OFR would be better. I know Ibanez can be good but I don't really want one unless the bridge is as good as an OFR. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Pretty much all the non-Prestige (and the lower-end Prestige) Ibanez guitars have pickups that are not great. But pickups can always be changed, so in retrespect it isn't that much of a big deal. So I don't think that objectively they should be out of the picture unless you just prefer the way Jacksons feel over Ibanez.

In that sort of price range used, the Ibanez Edge trem can be had on the Prestige models and it's a great bridge. Directly comparable in performance to the OFR.

As is the case with the Ibanez ZR, exclusive to the S series, including some of the cheapest ones. Very nice bridge design. Not only does it stay in tune well, but adjusting it is a lot more convenient and you have more setup options than a stock OFR. Shame more guitars cannot have a bridge like it due to Ibanez patenting it.

The new DK2's are awesome-looking guitars though, if they've done anything right, its that they've made their guitars look the bees knees. But I am skeptical of their quality control, they have a lot to prove given how great the old Chushin Gakki-made Pro Series was. They were amazing value (especially used) and consistently well made. And other brand's models such as the higher-end Schecter's, LTD's and Ibanez's have made this area of the market fiercely competitive. Though I've heard several reports of people who own the MiM Dinky's and they all say that the guitars are made fine. But the Indonesian-made models are not as consistent, unfortunately. Some of them are made fine, but others have QC issues warranting returning the guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 16, 2015,
The last time I looked at Ibanez guitars all of the S series used the ZR bridge but that doesn't seem to be the case now as loads of them are using something called the Edge Zero II. This seems to be the bridge used on RG and S models ranging in price from £350 all the way up to £900 and while I would expect a very good quality bridge at the top of that price range, I find it surprising that a guitar at £350 could have a bridge that's as good as a Floyd Rose 1000/2000. Is the Edge Zero II really that good?

The other complication is the wide variety of other Edge bridges mentioned like the Edge III, Edge Zero, Edge Zero II, Lo-Pro etc. I need to know which ones are as good as the Floyd Rose 1000 and which ones are not.

I have no issue with having to change pickups as long as the guitar is cheap enough to make it cost effective. An S520 is about £330 so I could spend £200 on pickups and still have quite a cheap guitar IF the Edge Zero II is as good as the Floyd on the Jackson. If I have to go all the way to a Prestige model to get a bridge that will match an OFR then all of a sudden the Jackson looks like astonishing value.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Mar 16, 2015,
The Edge Zero II is meant to be a huge improvement over the shitty Edge III, but how good it actually is in the long term is only something time can tell. It hasn't really been through the ringer long enough for there to be a strong consensus on how good it is. But supposedly the people who own it say that they like it. I couldn't really tell you myself because I don't own one. But I'd be surprised if its as good as the OFR.

The Lo-Pro is just a low-profile version of the original Edge. The string locking bolts are top-mounted instead of being right at the back of the bridge and the fine tuners are angled back too. I think the string spacing is slightly narrower as well.

Most people think the Edge Zero is not as good as the OFR, although it is still an okay bridge. The TRS is junk though.

Just remember that the spec sheet will make the guitar look good on paper. But actually having an example of that model in your hands can reveal a whole other story. It is never, ever as clear cut as the spec sheet. Yes, the Jackson looks like a great value, but its important to bear in mind that in order to achieve that level of value, production cost cuts need to be made in the process. These might be things that don't affect the quality of the final product, but sometimes they do and it can cause the guitars to have imperfections. This is why its important to try the guitar before you buy one if at all possible, to make sure you get one without any mechanical problems. The next best thing is to buy the guitar from an online dealer that has a good return policy. You can get a cheaper deal that way, but you often have to pay the shipping if you bought it online and wish to return it. Buying or ordering the guitar through a store gives you the advantage of not having to pay shipping, but the guitar typically costs a bit more money. Its your decision.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 16, 2015,
It seems that the DK2QM Pro is discontinued pending a revised version being introduced in May but I don't know what changes will take place or how this may affect the price. Rather frustrating!

If I have this time free I may look at delving into the used market if I can find a mint example of something. An Ibanez Prestige or possibly the Premium might be the way to go.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I got a used 1570 prestige for about $600, really happy with it, it already had the pups changed to evos for that price. The trem is excellent, easy to adjust, takes huge abuse, stays perfect tune and never ever breaks strings.
I don't put a lot of time and effort into analyzing the pros and cons of the various Floyds, and I don't require that they have the Floyd Rose name on them; several of the Korean versions are made on the same production lines with the same materials (but without the FR stamping) as the official FR trems. Ibanez has done a great job refining the design of the floating trem, and FR itself would do well to copy them. And I think that the Gotohs are better than the OFRs in a lot of respects anyway. I have tucked Schallers onto a couple of guitars, mainly because I don't want any fuss when I add aftermarket sustain blocks, but I've worked with non-original FRs that date back to 1992 (still going, though I have a shiny new replacement sitting on a shelf for when it dies) without issues. Honestly, I'd suggest that the rest of the guitar might be more important than the trem.
The Edge and Edge pro are the best trems Ibanez makes.
I love my Edge Zero. It's the only floating double-locking trem I would use. It doesn't have any of the things I hate about FRs. It doesn't feel like a trem. It feels more like a fixed bridge. The ZPS keeps the bridge stable unless you manually use the trem arm or push the back of the bridge. That means bending doesn't detune the guitar. In terms of the EZII, it's cheaper so the knife edges might be less reliable. But if you use the ZPS, then it doesn't matter because it's always going to return to the same point. The downsides to the EZ with the ZPS is that it the trem has a little more resistance. Bending feels tighter because the usable length of the string is short and the bridge dosn't move. You're also not going to get it to flutter with the ZPS in.
i would take an ibanez prestige over the jackson. honestly i like that you aren't 'paying' for the pickups that come in a prestige. i don't like spending money on a guitar that doesn't have pickups i like.

i have a 3550MZ ($680 NOS) a 2570EVSL ($380) and a 1570 ($480). the 3550MZ came with Tone Zone/Air Norton. they are nice so i really can't complain. then in the 2750EVSL i threw the Crunch Lab and Liquifire in, and love it. i have the 1570 is going to get a set of d-activators. that makes them versatile.

i don't remember which has which bridge, but i like them all equally or better than an OFR (i had an old jackson with one actually). you can get a hell of a guitar for not much money if you look used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/