My Windows XP have been falling apart for two years of having this used laptop since September 2009. It will continue due to Internet issues and operation ended. It is pretty frustrating.

So, here's the deal. I'm currently looking at Macbook Pro and Dell laptops on Apple and Best Buy websites. I want a brand-new laptop with 500+ GB, Intel i5/i7, 15.6 screen, WebCam and CD/DVD drive. Also, I will own documents like Microsoft Office/Apple Pages, Photoshop/iPhoto software, music software (like GarageBand and stuff). It could be over $750 to own one though.

I using computer for downloading music from physical copies on iTunes, downloading pictures from two cameras and Internet and editing photos.

Anyway, please know me know which laptop is the best for me to get and I'm looking for your reply. Have a great one!

Also, a laptop without CD/DVD drive is cancerous and disgrace. Why do companies keep building laptops like this?
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Last edited by Hal-Sephira at Mar 16, 2015,
I wouldn't go Apple, unless specific. The hardware is still Intel, screen's still LG doesn't matter. Have had a macbook pro and Imac, and if I be objective, they realistically did not last any longer.

Longest one that lasted me was 266mhz pentium 1 with 8mb ram, and it still ****ing works, though nothing works on it, the irony.

I have had a Lenovo for past year, it still works great and it has had heavy duty stuff. If you want to do gaming/media editing I recommend getting at least one with a dedicated graphics unit.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 16, 2015,
The new Macs are getting worse, also. Soon it'll just be a tablet with an external keyboard.

I still like the feel of my MBP over every other laptop i've tried though. Also the battery is ****ed, but still lasts longer than most new laptops I used some PoS laptop at the uni i work for the other day and it died from full charge in about 2 hours of light web browsing/online database usage.
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Mar 16, 2015,
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
The new Macs are getting worse, also. Soon it'll just be a tablet with an external keyboard.

I still like the feel of my MBP over every other laptop i've tried though. Also the battery is ****ed, but still lasts longer than most new laptops I used some PoS laptop at the uni i work for the other day and it died from full charge in about 2 hours of light web browsing/online database usage.

Battery usage though is largely dependent on screen and it's backlight settings. Smaller and dimmed screens heavily decrease battery consumption.

Edit:

Anyway I believe we have a computer thread where people can actively help you build/buy one.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 16, 2015,
To be fair I had it on some 'high performance' setting. Wasn't that high though to be honest. The screen was adequately bright whereas my laptop is a torch and it wasn't particularly zippy either. But then what did i expect from some i5 toshiba?
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I wouldn't go Apple, unless specific. The hardware is still Intel, screen's still LG doesn't matter. Have had a macbook pro and Imac, and if I be objective, they realistically did not last any longer.

To be serious, do you know how long it will last?
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
MXR M-103 Blue Box
I have no idea how long they last now. I've had my MBP since mid-2010.

But you're probably limiting yourself to how much you can upgrade it with Apple.
For the love of god don't go apple or dell. Or hp for that matter.
Lenovo are good, Asus are very good, Toshiba probably come a close third in that market.

Just google "best laptops..2014" or "..2015", last years will be depreciating in value but not outdated in performance.
Get an ASUS for sure.
Lenovo are good but have spyware pre-installed.

For the love of Buddha don't get an Apple or Dell.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Get a mac.

They don't have the best value/price ratio but they're better than everything else.

Unless you're also considering linux, but in that case I don't think you'd even ask such a question.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Macs used to be workhorses designed for people working in multimedia. Now they realized that 90% of their market is university students who use their comuters to take notes and check facebook. So now they build thier laptops to do just that.
^ Exactly this. They used to be great tools for design/animation etc. but the new ones are getting more and more like glorified tablets.
Quote by pallmania23
good informartion guys
nice thead..i will be pactice for that it
thanks all

Computer thread is pretty awesome.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Also, a laptop without CD/DVD drive is cancerous and disgrace. Why do companies keep building laptops like this?

Do you need a tape deck too.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
with that attitude we'd all still be using floppies

get with the times gramps
ggg1 ggg3

Mac. They just always work. Mine is a 2009 and I just updated to SSD and 8g Ram. It is lightening fast and software updates are reasonably unobtrusive. I get annoyed when I turn on my windows laptop at work to run a few quotes and it says "updating windows, will complete in 40 minutes" meanwhile the thing is completely bogged down and virtually useless.

I have an outboard CD/DVD drive that I use every 6 months or so as my CD collection is already on lossless itunes. I think it cost $20. No need to drag one around every day anymore.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 16, 2015,
Quote by behind_you
with that attitude we'd all still be using floppies

get with the times gramps

Yeah this. If you really need one for your atrack tapes you can get an external one. Most laptops don't come with them. The point of a laptop is protability and not having to deal with so many wires you why not get a nice and thin one with a SSD that boots up in five seconds?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Do you need a tape deck too.

Do you use a tube amp? You know that tech is ancient right?

Not everything is online and a DVD drive doesn't suddenly make a laptop unportable !
It's just manufacturers getting to a) cut costs and b) sell a slimline laptop to wanky hipster types
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Panasonic toughbook, in case you run over it with a truck.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Get something with an SSD drive. Most important feature imo. Opens windows and your programs 2-4x faster than one without
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by The Judist
Get an ASUS for sure.
Lenovo are good but have spyware pre-installed.

For the love of Buddha don't get an Apple or Dell.

Dang, I forgot to mention a protection software and stuff like that.

Thank you for saying that.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
MXR M-103 Blue Box
Quote by corrda00
Macs used to be workhorses designed for people working in multimedia. Now they realized that 90% of their market is university students who use their comuters to take notes and check facebook. So now they build thier laptops to do just that.

More like colleges too.

I don't go to college or university, really.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
MXR M-103 Blue Box
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
you need a new amp too

Yep. Can't afford it right now.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
MXR M-103 Blue Box
upgraded from xp to windows 8.1 in september
i bought this asus beast, reliable and fast, no problems so far http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-K750JN-DB71-CA-Notebook-Screen-Processor/dp/B00LGPSM08

when you are shopping for a new laptop, you might want to invest more for a screen with a better resolution than what you usually find, 1366x768