Hey all, I need to pick you knowledgable brains!

So there may be nothing wrong with my neck, it certainly plays fine, BUT......

I noticed the other day that the nearly all the frets are slightly smaller that the wood of the neck, I can see wooden notch they sit in. I've tried to capture this on the pics below?

On anything else I would think, oh, the wood has swollen, but the neck is still straight, plays great, the wood isn't soft/cracked/warped or even appear damaged.

Here's some history, it's a MIM Strat that's about ten years old. I bought it second hand from the original owner and have had for about a year. It had just been sitting in the case though, still had it's hang tags on, wasn't his no.1 guitar at all.

Hopefully you can see from the pics, do I have anything to worry about? Hope not I love this strat!

is it humid where you are?

i don't think it's an issue.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
No not humid at all, I'm in Manchester UK, so it's more chilly than warm

The guitar tends to live on a stand though as I pick it up and play all the time and can't be bothered packing everything up all the time.

Since I noticed the neck I have started putting it to bed in a soft case though when I go to work, just incase it was something to do with the humidity, but there isn't really any where I am, I just did it out of precaution. .
I Don't think it should be a problem at all, looks about like mine. If the frets sere hanging out beyond the neck, you'd need to file the ends a little but I don't think this looks like much of a problem.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Definitely not a problem. Opposite, actually. You would MUCH MUCH rather have recessed fret ends than ones that stick out and catch your skin.

Do store it in its case though, especially in a place like Man Chest Hair that sees soggy air on a fairly regular basis. These are the climates that guitar wood likes to expand and contract in, (especially in summer) so while the fret ends are not to worry about, the shape and straightness of the neck are.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Awesome, that's...

I will start storing it in the bag when I'm not playing, the seasons are starting to turn here now so its going from dry cold to wet cold!

Thanks for reassuring me, glad I didn't have an expensive repair on my hands
Also, it might be a good idea to keep a silica packet in the case with it if it's particularly cool and damp, like in a basement or something. The drier you keep it the less the neck will warp and lower end Strats are pretty notorious for slight neck warps.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ok sweet, thats a great idea, I'll defo get some of those silica packets, I should put some in my acoustic cases too.
Should be fine.I'm in the UK and my Tele neck is 30 years old and it's still perfectly straight.
Quote by peppersauzer
Awesome, that's...

I will start storing it in the bag when I'm not playing, the seasons are starting to turn here now so its going from dry cold to wet cold!

Thanks for reassuring me, glad I didn't have an expensive repair on my hands

heating in the winter tends to be very dry humidity wise. nothing to do with hot wet weather. the air lacks humidty which takes it out of the wood.