I want to be able to create a good shred tone that will sound good with sweep picking. So guys like Jason Becker and Tony MacAlpine. I have a Fender mustang amp so I play with different effects and such, im just not to good dialing in a good tone, so can anyone help lead me in the right direction. Thanks!
It would help if you tell us what guitar you're using and what you've done now that didn't work (IE what settings you've tried) so we can actually give you decent advice.

The Mustang is a modeling amp right? I'd say a good starting base for a shreddy lead tone would probably be from the brit 80s or American 90s emulation. Keep your EQ controls at 5 and add/remove to taste. Add distortion and maybe a touch of delay/reverb and you should be in the ballpark.

Wish I could help more but I don't have a Mustang. Maybe somebody who actually owns the same amp can give you better advice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It would help if you tell us what guitar you're using and what you've done now that didn't work (IE what settings you've tried) so we can actually give you decent advice.

The Mustang is a modeling amp right? I'd say a good starting base for a shreddy lead tone would probably be from the brit 80s or American 90s emulation. Keep your EQ controls at 5 and add/remove to taste. Add distortion and maybe a touch of delay/reverb and you should be in the ballpark.

Wish I could help more but I don't have a Mustang. Maybe somebody who actually owns the same amp can give you better advice.

Yea my bad, I have a Fender Blacktop Strat, the setting Ive tried it seems that my sweep picking is too muddy, I know its pretty clean since when I play on a clean setting my sweeping is pretty clean.
Are you sure it's not technique? If you're not muting strings properly etc... your sweeps will sound muddy and messy with distortion (something that you won't be able to pick up easy if you're just playing clean).
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you sure it's not technique? If you're not muting strings properly etc... your sweeps will sound muddy and messy with distortion (something that you won't be able to pick up easy if you're just playing clean).

It might be my technique when playing distorted, I will have to experiment more
It'll be tough to get a good shred tone out of a blacktop strat and a mustang amp because they are both thin sounding to start with. The settings that would be ideal (scoop out the mids a little bit to clean up the mid range and reduce mud) on other amps will probably sound like fizzy piss.

Turn down your gain/distortion from 10 to about 5 or 6. Turn the treble and bass up to about 7, turn the mids down to about 4, put the strat on its neck humbucker position, roll off the tone and volume a smidge and if your technique is as good as you say it is, then something around this setup should give you the cleanest sounding sweeping and shredding.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
It'll be tough to get a good shred tone out of a blacktop strat and a mustang amp because they are both thin sounding to start with. The settings that would be ideal (scoop out the mids a little bit to clean up the mid range and reduce mud) on other amps will probably sound like fizzy piss.

Turn down your gain/distortion from 10 to about 5 or 6. Turn the treble and bass up to about 7, turn the mids down to about 4, put the strat on its neck humbucker position, roll off the tone and volume a smidge and if your technique is as good as you say it is, then something around this setup should give you the cleanest sounding sweeping and shredding.

Why would you say my Strat would have a thin tone? I has humbuckers.
Most of my shredding tone woes have been technique related.
And, too, I'm probably harder on myself than anyone else; I'm down in the den hissing and spitting over a passage I'm not pleased with and the spousal unit yells down, "Hey, that's sounding really good!" You may be your own worst enemy <G>
Quote by Patsfan1281

Just because it has humbuckers doesn't mean that the tone will not be thin. What determines how a guitar will sound are many, many different variables. Blacktop strats are generally pretty bright due to a combination of the way they're constructed and how their pickups are voiced. Even if they are humbuckers.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Patsfan1281

Thin body with larger cavities, the wood used, it's a bolt on neck, and the humbuckers are not the greatest quality. It's a notoriously thin sounding instrument. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means you have to pay extra attention to how you sound--especially in a band.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by dspellman
Most of my shredding tone woes have been technique related.
And, too, I'm probably harder on myself than anyone else; I'm down in the den hissing and spitting over a passage I'm not pleased with and the spousal unit yells down, "Hey, that's sounding really good!" You may be your own worst enemy <G>

Lol yea im the same way sometimes people will watch me and say im great but inside i know im a very sloppy guitarist
Quote by Acϵ♠
Thin body with larger cavities, the wood used, it's a bolt on neck, and the humbuckers are not the greatest quality. It's a notoriously thin sounding instrument. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means you have to pay extra attention to how you sound--especially in a band.

Which guitars would be considered to have a thick tone then? I know people say Les Pauls.
your strat is just fine. now as to getting your tone. for a good shred tone you need distortion with clarity. this means not overdoing it with th distortion. you want enough for the notes to sing but not enough to have them blend together and turn to mush.

scooping mids is a metal thing and i don't recommend it for shred. find whatever amp sim = a marshall jcm 800 then use the overdrive pedal sim. as i mentioned set the gain on the amp so that notes have some sustain but don't go nuts. use the overdrive to fine tune the tone and sustain. remember the notes shouldn't blend into each other. add some dealy. experiment with delay times but put the actual delay sound back in the mix some. the total object is to keep the notes clean sounding but with sustain. as others have mentioned your tecnique needs to be up to snuff.

for examples of what i do see the link in my profile to my originals. From Beyond has some shreddy licks in the leads. i'm not the best shredder and gave up tryingto be years ago
Last edited by monwobobbo at Mar 16, 2015,
honestly i didn't' read it at all.

every time i hear somebody commenting/complaining on/about shred tone, its compensating for technique.

if this is different, i will read it through.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
honestly i didn't' read it at all.

every time i hear somebody commenting/complaining on/about shred tone, its compensating for technique.

if this is different, i will read it through.

ittle cynical today are we

actually i think getting a shred tone can be a bit of a challenge. finding the sweet spot where the notes sing and still retain clarity isn't always easy. uusally guys just want to throw gobs of distortion as a solution which is wrong and yes covers technique errors.
Quote by monwobobbo
ittle cynical today are we

actually i think getting a shred tone can be a bit of a challenge. finding the sweet spot where the notes sing and still retain clarity isn't always easy. uusally guys just want to throw gobs of distortion as a solution which is wrong and yes covers technique errors.

Just a little .

I agree that the tone can take time. But, normally people ask this question to compensate for undeveloped technique.

From a tonal perspective Too much gain can kill it, too much treble, bass, and delay can hinder it too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Just a little .

I agree that the tone can take time. But, normally people ask this question to compensate for undeveloped technique.

From a tonal perspective Too much gain can kill it, too much treble, bass, and delay can hinder it too.

Hey man, it might be my technique, but im not too sure since it sounds pretty good to me both unplugged and on a clean setting on amp
Quote by Patsfan1281
Hey man, it might be my technique, but im not too sure since it sounds pretty good to me both unplugged and on a clean setting on amp

if its not your technique its not. i can't hear you . but i read it now, and i wasn't the only one questioning the technique. in most cases it is technique,

as far as tone goes. i don't think the mustang is helping.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It may sound good clean, but many people get the idea that good clean playing should equate to good distortion playing and thats just not true. When using distortion, you have the added task of properly muting the strings, which is its own technique that takes practice. That being said, its just as common for players to use terrible distortion settings that just plain aren't going to sound good.