Howdy guys

Long story short, getting rid of my Spider Valve and going to pick up something else more suited for what I want right now. Anywho, I bought the Spider Valve to jam on and be essentially an "everything else" amp (I have an Excelsior that I use for lower gain tones etc...). It's a cool little thing for sure but the advantages of all the FX and amp emulations are almost moot at this point since I've upgraded my pedal collection. Now I just use the SV for metal tones and everything else I'm doing through the Excelsior.

So since the SV is relegated strictly to metal duties (modern metal tones moreso than classic boosted brit tones), I figured I could probably get an amp better suited for the genre and sell the Spider Valve. Ideally, I'd be looking at something like the 6505+ combo. I don't need anything too crazy features wise. Basically need something high gain, usable clean channel, tight gain channel etc... FX loop would be nice as well.

My budget would be 300-800 USD, the amp is just gonna be for metal (I've got the rest covered), the guitars I'll be using will be something with humbuckers, I don't mind buying used, I don't mind buying online etc.... Any of the newer offerings worth checking out like the Randall RD series or the Laney IRTs?

Thanks
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
IRT's are solid, if aren't tone deaf like the guitarist in my band who has one.

Heard some good things about the randalls too.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
How much do powerball's go for used in the US?
'cause a powerball or powerball II or even fireball would do nicely if ya ask me.

Also a 5150 III might do.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
How much do powerball's go for used in the US?
'cause a powerball or powerball II or even fireball would do nicely if ya ask me.

Also a 5150 III might do.

Not sure on the powerballs but here in Canada the Engl Thunder goes for a bit over a grand (if you can find them).

As for a 5150III those go for about double my budget new.

Quote by Fisheth24
IRT's are solid, if aren't tone deaf like the guitarist in my band who has one.

Heard some good things about the randalls too.

Yeah might try the IRT. Got a GL50 here locally too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 16, 2015,
JSX if you don't mind going for something older/used.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not sure on the powerballs but here in Canada the Engl Thunder goes for a bit over a grand (if you can find them).
Yeah I can find them, not worth that much if ya ask me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
As for a 5150III those go for about double my budget new.
Can't you find used 50w ones for a bit less?
They're worth it if you can find them for a good price.

Also yeah JSX would do, 6505 is angrier, up to you to decide what kinda tone you want exactly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Never had a JSX but I owned a Triple XXX and didn't like it for anything aside from hair metal. Bit too loose for the metal tones I like.

As for the 5150III 50watter yeah I think they go for around grand give or take. I'm guessing they're similar to the 6505?

Quote by JBailey23
5153 50w is just over a $1,000 new so finding one used would probably just be cutting the budget close. Finding one is the trick though.

Yeah most of the used ones I see are the 100 watter.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I play on a 6505+ and I play on the 5153 50w occasionally at one of the local stores that can't seem to sell it. The EVH has a similar sound and features but "clearer" to me. Haven't done much more research past that but I like the amp a lot. I've yet to see any EVH model used. Heck the only 50w models I've seen are the two that's been sitting in the said store for the past year.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
As for the 5150III 50watter yeah I think they go for around grand give or take. I'm guessing they're similar to the 6505?
Meh.

5150 III is clearer, def less angry, it has a better clean channel, it's a bit tighter, and it has three ch instead of two.
Also it has midi IIRC.

I'd go and try one if you have the chance.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Meh.

5150 III is clearer, def less angry, it has a better clean channel, it's a bit tighter, and it has three ch instead of two.
Also it has midi IIRC.

I'd go and try one if you have the chance.

Will do, both the L&Ms here have them in stock so I'll be checking them out soon.

On the flip side, a local store has a 6505+ combo I wanted to buy and they're holding the damn thing for a week for another guy. A couple of days I can understand but a WEEK!? Jeez almighty.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'd second the JSX suggestion. Carvin V3 is also a good option. Mesa Mini Rectifier if you can get it used.
Orange Dark Terror is also a good choice.
XXX might do on 2nd channel with tubescreamer type overdrive, think Exodus "The Human Condition" type of sounds, there's a guy on here that posted some good clips on the recording forum last week.
Quote by diabolical
I'd second the JSX suggestion. Carvin V3 is also a good option. Mesa Mini Rectifier if you can get it used.
Orange Dark Terror is also a good choice.
XXX might do on 2nd channel with tubescreamer type overdrive, think Exodus "The Human Condition" type of sounds, there's a guy on here that posted some good clips on the recording forum last week.

Yeah problem is I don't really like the XXX (I've owned one for years). If the JSX is similar I doubt I'd like it either (from what I can recall it's just a XXX with EL34s and a gate anyway).

Does the DT have an effects loop?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
perhaps letting us know what metal tones you're after would help. metal is such a broad term these days. you really can't go wrong with a 6505+ though. my Peavy Ultra works great for many metal styles however since it has an open back it doesn't do the super low tuned bass heavy stuff as well.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Similar yes. But NOT the same. All of the Peavey variants have more BALLS than the 5150 III. Balls are not the same as gain, but it's hard to describe what I mean in words. You really need to try them both. I play more extreme genres (death, black metal), and the EVH 5150 III I tried just did not sound "pissed off" enough for me. Both amps have plenty of gain though. The EVH is just more refined which can be good for some people and bad for others. The EVH also has more of a "djent" slant to its character, which again, I personally hate, but others may adore. The EVH does have very nice cleans though, much nicer than the Peavey versions. But again, it depends on how important all of that balances out for you.

List some bands whose tone you like. It may be that a 5150 of any variant might not be the right thing for you.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by monwobobbo
perhaps letting us know what metal tones you're after would help. metal is such a broad term these days. you really can't go wrong with a 6505+ though. my Peavy Ultra works great for many metal styles however since it has an open back it doesn't do the super low tuned bass heavy stuff as well.

Quote by KailM
List some bands whose tone you like. It may be that a 5150 of any variant might not be the right thing for you.

Tone along the lines of Ascendancy era Trivium or AOJB era KSE, In Flames, All That Remains, Job for a Cowboy etc...

Lamb of God has a pretty br00tz tone I like as well.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Weird, cause Heafy used XXX's in the early days and used IIRC a DSL on the Ascendency album.

If you're wanting that sort of tone a 6505/5150/Mark V might be solid. With a boost obvs.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Weird, cause Heafy used XXX's in the early days and used IIRC a DSL on the Ascendency album.

If you're wanting that sort of tone a 6505/5150/Mark V might be solid. With a boost obvs.

Pretty sure ember was recorded on a 6505.

JCM 2000s were on Ascendency yeah.

Also, mark V is way out of my price range.

Quote by diabolical
Jsx is nothing like the XXX. Sparkly cleans,nice crunch and great overdrive with built in noise gate. Only thing comparable might be channel 2(crunch).

Well, in that case I'll keep an eye out for one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Ember was a XXX, just checked.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Ember was a XXX, just checked.

Source?

The only thing I can find is an article from Peavey's own website which states that he uses both (Block head 5150 and Triple XXX amps) on Ember.

"Florida-based melodic deathcore band Trivium has toured extensively over the past two years and is finally seeing dividends: Victory Records will re-release the band's latest album, Ember to Inferno, and a new album on Roadrunner Records will appear in 2005. Guitarist Matt Heafy uses Triple XXX® and 5150 amps. "

Source

and then a bunch of forum posts were people are saying block letter 5150 and a 1960BV cab.

Either way, I guess I can consider the Triple XXX again but didn't think much of it before
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Fisheth24
Why would you put these three close to each other saying they'd be good for reaching the same tone?

6505's and mark V's sound nothing alike.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Tone along the lines of Ascendancy era Trivium or AOJB era KSE, In Flames, All That Remains, Job for a Cowboy etc...

Lamb of God has a pretty br00tz tone I like as well.

I would get a Peavey 6505+ or regular 6505, or even an older 5150. Any of them would fit the bill with the right pedals (boost + EQ in the loop.)

LoG is the outlier in your list -- you'd need a Mark IV or V to nail their tone. However, with medium output passive pickups, I've gotten a respectably accurate tone for LoG through my 6505 +. Has to be medium output passive pups though. I had a Dimarzio D-Sonic. My Black Winters and especially my active Blackouts won't do that sound -- too much grind.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Check ebay for an RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
6505+ or 5150 III.

The JSX will probably be too smooth for you.
The XXX is too 80s to be worth the hassle.
A regular Ultra might be worth checking out, it falls kind of between an XXX and a 5150.

MXR M77 for a grindier boost or Way Huge Green Rhino for a smoother boost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
These are pretty nice amps and are basically rebranded Krank amps. Might be worth a look.
http://revolutionamps.com/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hes got Stiff amps going too, im guessing thats the same deal?

most likely leaning towards a 6505 right now since theyre easy to find around here anyway but ill check into stiff/rev amps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Spambot_2
Why would you put these three close to each other saying they'd be good for reaching the same tone?

6505's and mark V's sound nothing alike.

He mentioned LOG.

Was thinking he'd just want a decent general br00tz Metal tone.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Bit out of the price range though fishey

So I'll probably be checking out a few amps this weekend. Hopefully, the dude that put the 6505 combo on hold flakes out

Carvin V3 any good?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 17, 2015,
Yeah, sorry about that, I've got no idea on Mesa prices anywhere except the UK

No idea about the V3 but I think? Dspellman described them as fizzy? Might not be them, but that's the first name that sprung to mind.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A new Mark V costs 2500 bucks here. A new 6505 head is about 1500 bucks cheaper so...

Yeah the V3 seems a little too much for what I want anyway. Too many channels
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Carvin V3 any good?

Some like 'em, some don't. The most common complaint I've seen is "fizzy".

I personally like them, but they do take some tweaking.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah I mean they seem really versatile but I have never used one so I have 0 idea about what I'll be getting if I go that route. At least with the 6505 I know what I'm getting somewhat.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
A lot of the fizzy problem on the V3 can be solved by turning the presence waaaaay down. I don't think that's for you though, the tone is too "shreddy". I'd just get a 6505+ man, they are made for most the tones you listed. That and a TS and you should be golden.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah I think you're right. I'll just grab a 6505.

Spider Valve is getting sold today and payday is Friday
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hes got Stiff amps going too, im guessing thats the same deal?

most likely leaning towards a 6505 right now since theyre easy to find around here anyway but ill check into stiff/rev amps.

No, stiff closed shop when Tony started revolution amps. But yes same principal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
New 6505 combos are made in China and they started slacking on the quality though.

I tested the Carvin V3 in their Sacramento shop through several of their guitars which are kinda like PRS/Les Paul knockoffs and can't say that they're really fizzy. They could get a nice metal vibe but they cover all the bases really good, great chimey cleands, great crunch and ballsy metal distortion when needed. They have a bite and a bit of brightness but all could be tamed out if needed with eq and the voicing switches.
^i liked mine, it was just very smooth, not altogether unlike the JSX I tried in character. Nice amp, but not my first choice for a ballsy tone.

If anyone does want to here a V3 in metal form, take a listen to Winds of Plague's first album. A very heavy, crisp sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
the V3 is way too fizzy for my liking. maybe look into one of the smaller krank heads, the 50 watt rev jr's go for really cheap, and would be a good option.

i think i would go for a 6505+.

here is a left fielder. fryette deliverance?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/