Hi guys,

I really really like Eric Johnson's tone and I want to buy a:

Plexi Replica, 3000 or less
A clean amp
Possibly go vintage with the clean amps

My questions are, is there a big difference between a Germino Filmore and a Metropolous 10,000 amp? What about the Port City Pearl vs a Fender twin? Which can get at that pure clean and versatile clean sound that I believe I am looking for? If I went with a twin, would it be worth it to cash in on a '67 twin or some 60's twin for sound or is it not worth it? What issues do you run into owning a vintage amp? Thank you!!
To be honest with you, I highly doubt most people here have used a Germino or Metro amp let alone know what the hell they are. Same goes for vintage amps.

You'd be better off asking your question at TGP. They're into that kind of shit there.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've owned 5 Blackface Fender amps now and recently got rid of my original '65 Blackface Twin. While that amp was really nice, I found that it handled pedals poorly. Making all of my fuzz sound shrill and scooped depending on how I EQ'd them. It was difficult. I've only played through a Port City Pearl for like 25 minutes, so my experience with that one is limited but I love that amp. Seriously one of the nicest modern clean amps I've played. I think they come loaded with JJs though which bums me out for such a high dollar amp, but the one I played had a couple telefunken and RCA preamp tubes in it and I think it had TAD 6L6s. Sounded awesome.

The Metropolous stuff is built really nicely from what I've been told, but I have a tech that can build nearly anything so I feel like you can find a good plexi for a more decent price than $3000 and then put some work into it and still be less than $3000.
I haven't actually heard the Germino, but based off of their component choices, I'm sure they are also fine amplifiers. That's just silly amounts of cash at $2800 to $3000. ha

Now the issues you might face with vintage gear can vary. Widely depending on how much care was put into storing the amplifier. You want to make sure the iron in the amps are not burnt up in any way. If there had been work done to it, it helps to have documentation on what was done so you can have that when you take it to a tech. I always take my vintage amps to my tech for a once over. There are things that will typically need to be done to it like replacing capacitors, tubes, AC cords if they are still two prongers, and I usually have the power supplies in mine rebuilt. As long as the transformers are good and everything is intact it shouldn't be too hard to make a vintage amp a workhorse. But if there are damages to the insides and tube sockets and other things are damaged it can take a bit to restore safely. I haven't had any major issues with any of my vintage stuff though.

Hope some of this helps. This is just my experience.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To be honest with you, I highly doubt most people here have used a Germino or Metro amp let alone know what the hell they are. Same goes for vintage amps.

You'd be better off asking your question at TGP. They're into that kind of shit there.

have to agree.

i have played many and owned a few vintage amps though. i think that the downside has been covered already in above post. personally i think you can get a new amp that will sound just as good. if you don't mind spending some money then look at Two Rocks amps as they definitely will give you an awesome clean sound.

word of warning. Eric Johnson has some truly awesome tone and is a tough guy to duplicate. just throwing money at high end amps isn't gonna necessarily get you his tone. erics guitar, fx and of fingers play just a s big a roll. good luck
Quote by monwobobbo
have to agree.

i have played many and owned a few vintage amps though. i think that the downside has been covered already in above post. personally i think you can get a new amp that will sound just as good. if you don't mind spending some money then look at Two Rocks amps as they definitely will give you an awesome clean sound.

word of warning. Eric Johnson has some truly awesome tone and is a tough guy to duplicate. just throwing money at high end amps isn't gonna necessarily get you his tone. erics guitar, fx and of fingers play just a s big a roll. good luck

Dude could play through a 30 watt Gorilla amp bought at a garage sale and it would sound awesome. hahahaha
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Dude could play through a 30 watt Gorilla amp bought at a garage sale and it would sound awesome. hahahaha

i'm sure he could which is part of my point. tone chasing is often a fools errand and just throwing money at gear may not do the trick if you do't have the talent to begin with.