Alright then, So recently I went to a concert and found a really cool and beautiful song that I really really want to play on my acoustic guitar. The only problem with this is, There is literally nothing i have been able to find about how to play this song the correct way. It's called "Not Right Now" by Jason Gray. I've been working on figuring it out for a while now, and I have made basically no progress. So I figured I would reach out into the forums and see if anybody would be able to help me out with this thing. It's a finger-style song, and it might be in an alternate tuning but im not sure. Anyways, there are a few videos on Youtube of him playing the song, and I feel like my best bet right now is going through and figuring it out from those. I've linked a couple of these videos here, and there are actually quite a few others from various view points. Thank you to anyone and everyone who is willing to try and help me out with this! Official Song Video Song Video
I dont think I would mind an alternate version of how he played it, In standard tuning like you said. But I guess I would need to hear at least a little bit of it first. I've honestly fallen in love with the way this sounds in the video, so if possible I would like to figure out a tab with the new tuning. Thanks for helping out
Quote by sam b
What? I said it's in Open C

Open C works for some of the song, but its not what is in the video and doesnt work for all parts of it. I dont think Its quite right, Thanks for your input though!
Quote by rileym7299
Open C works for some of the song, but its not what is in the video

Yes it is..

The tab I made is exactly how he plays in the 2nd video you posted.

But whatever, believe what you want. I'm 100% sure of what I'm saying, but yeah... take it or leave it Good luck with the rest of the song
Last edited by sam b at Mar 16, 2015,
Ok here is what I am seeing not only here on this website but others as well.... Appears that Jason gray tunes his guitar as follows:

Guitar Tuning: C G C G C E As confirmed by Jason Gray - open C as stated also by Sam b
(someone stated this for the tab REMIND ME WHO I AM....)

What is funny though is that even though Jason uses this tuning .... Almost all tabs are in standard tuning.

and what is even funnier is that this tab I just mentioned has versions done in the tuning Jason uses and in standard tuning and the standard tuning tab gets 5 star ratings and
A total of 38 of them ...

where the version of the one in Jason's tuning gets 3 - 4 star ratings...
(Go here and look)
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jason_gray/remind_me_who_i_am_ver2_crd.htm

Which indicates to me that people like playing his songs in standard tuning as it is probably easier to play and sounds just as good .....

Hope some of this is helpful to you as I am only trying to help.
Last edited by DON CZARSKI at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by DON CZARSKI
Guitar Tuning: C G C G C E As confirmed by Jason Gray - open C as stated also by Sam b

Quote by DON CZARSKI
I'll tell you what I will do... I will make a tab of the song in standard tuning for you... If you like it use it... If not I tried... I could do it in open c... But I am trying to please the majority of users here at UG and I just want to keep it simple and easy so they can enjoy the song...so I am doing it in standard tuning.... I will post it back here when done... I take a lot of requests so give me a few days ok... But I usually get them done in a day or so...

And again, I believe that we are all just trying to help you out... Ok

I've tabbed the intro (in open C though) here, if it helps

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33306328&postcount=3
Thank you both for all your help so far. It really does mean a lot to me. Im sorry if i've been a little difficult or have offended either of you. I can assure you that was not my intent. I would be very interested in the standard tuning tab you talked about, and I agree that I probably should just let go of some of my stinginess with the song. Thanks again guys, it's really awesome that you're willing to help me out with my own problems
You have NOT been difficult and you have NOT offended me at all..so don't worry about that.

Sam b did a great job on his intro to the song in Open C tuning... Which the song is actually played in...

One thing I noticed .. On almost every song by Jason gray the chords are almost exclusively Am C F G... Seems he loves playing in open C and using those chords almost exclusively...

So the song you want is definitely using those 4 chords and in drop C tuning...

with the live version videos it should be easy enough to figure out exactly what chord he is playing and when and where he is playing them
Last edited by DON CZARSKI at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by sam b

The tab I made is exactly how he plays in the 2nd video you posted.

But whatever, believe what you want. I'm 100% sure of what I'm saying, but yeah... take it or leave it Good luck with the rest of the song

Ok, first off I would like to admit that you were right and I was wrong about the whole tuning thing. I am sorry for not listening to you and I hope that what I said hasn't offended you in any particular way. That being said, I would be very interested in figuring out a rough tab in Open C (with the finger-picking style of the song) with you if you would be at all willing to help me out any further. I tried out your tab in Open C for the intro, and it was pretty spot on from what I could tell. If you would rather not work with me any further I understand, but I would greatly appreciate any further assistance that you would be able to offer me in figuring this song out. Thanks again for what you have already done!