I've recently obtained an unexpected new guitar and now I need to look into buying an amp for it. The guitar is a Squier Jazzmaster Baritone with two single coil pickups and I have no pedals to go along with it.

Now I have searched the internet and I am still unable to make a decision (which may be due to my indecisiveness when it comes to tone!). I think the kind of sound I am looking for is something rather dark and warm (ambient?). If it helps at all I do not like nor do I want to hear any twang. Hell I am thinking about changing the pickups due to them being a tad bit twangy!

I don't know if this matters but I love the tone I get with my classical guitar (cedar top/ laminated rosewood back and sides). With some hard/very hard tension strings I am able to get a very nice mixture between bright and warm tone.

Almost forgot my budget is around 300-500 and I would rather go used because I assume I will get a lot more for my money!

Example of bands that I have been into recently whose tone I could see myself using:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVGSxGO7QM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdg7I-Paco
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Last edited by NougatOfficial at Mar 16, 2015,
you need to give this some more thought. not having any clear direction will lead to disappointment. having said that i think that a modeling amp may be the way to go. in your case perhaps a Fender Mustang might be the deal. if you want better distorted tones than Peavey vypyr or VIP would be good.
Quote by monwobobbo
you need to give this some more thought. not having any clear direction will lead to disappointment. having said that i think that a modeling amp may be the way to go. in your case perhaps a Fender Mustang might be the deal. if you want better distorted tones than Peavey vypyr or VIP would be good.

I figured I need to give it more thought but with the way I think I could spend a lifetime thinking it over which won't help. Worst comes to worst I will spend this week listening to every tone imaginable and force myself to choose one.

A modelling amp seems like it would be a good choice because I would be able to get multitude of tones with it correct? Stupid question but they are decent for gigging correct? (probably should have mentioned that before that I want to use it to gig...)
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable

- Franz Wright
Quote by NougatOfficial
I figured I need to give it more thought but with the way I think I could spend a lifetime thinking it over which won't help. Worst comes to worst I will spend this week listening to every tone imaginable and force myself to choose one.

A modelling amp seems like it would be a good choice because I would be able to get multitude of tones with it correct? Stupid question but they are decent for gigging correct? (probably should have mentioned that before that I want to use it to gig...)

modeling amps do give you a wide variety of tones. ummm...... dude if you're gonna gig then don't you have a song list of some sort thus knowing what tones you'll need? modelers can be very giggable however i'd recommend getting the higher watt models if you are going to do this.
I added two examples to the original post that showcase a sound that I could see myself wanting to use.

I don't have a song list because up to this point I perform only solo acoustic. I have been trying to get a band started for a little while now and since I don't have one yet I just play by myself at open mic nights.

Thanks for the help by the way.
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable

- Franz Wright
ok now we're geting somewhee. if that's what you want then i'd suggest a Peavey Valveking or a Peavey Classic 30. either can be had used well within your budget. both are 2 channel tube amps and can deliver good clean sounds as well as decent distortion sounds for what you want. you'd need a couple of pedals, probably a fuzz and delay plus perhaps a reverb pedal with some different reverb options. this will give you a good sounding gig worthy set up
I think I am leaning towards the Peavey Classic 30. From the videos I have searched I am really digging the sounds gotten from it!
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable

- Franz Wright
Quote by NougatOfficial
I think I am leaning towards the Peavey Classic 30. From the videos I have searched I am really digging the sounds gotten from it!

good choice so go for it.