Poll Options
View poll results: Are they the shit?
Yes
24 67%
No they aren't not the Shit.
12 33%
Voters: 36.
Page 1 of 2
Totes, I really like QI and Nevermind the Buzzcocks.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Oh man I haven't watched any panel shows in ages and I've got to catch up with stuff. Probably UG's fault tbh, started spending my free time here instead of watching panel shows
Quote by sickman411
Oh man I haven't watched any panel shows in ages and I've got to catch up with stuff. Probably UG's fault tbh, started spending my free time here instead of watching panel shows

Why I have an extra monitor.
Yeah seriously though, I probably haven't watched any panel shows since late 2013. I used to watch (and probs should resume watching/catch up on) QI, Mock the Week, the original UK run of Whose Line, Would I Lie to You, Have I Got News for You, Big Fat Quiz of the Year, Was It Something I Said, and probably a couple of other ones sporadically. I also stopped watching Charlie Brooker's stuff, which I should really catch up on.
Nope. Not sure if it would work well or not. If you had good comedians it might.

I guess there was an American iteration of Buzzcocks a while back hosted by Marc Maron. I feel like it's hard for Americans to quite emulate the coy sarcasm of British comedy without just coming off as outright cruel or mean. Although Buzzcocks does come off as mean often.

I'd love to be the American version of Phil Jupitus.
Re: America

There's also @midnight with Chris Hardwick (I've only seen bits and pieces of it but I think that fits the bill). There are a few American remakes of British comedy panel shows if you want to count those.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Re: America

There's also @midnight with Chris Hardwick (I've only seen bits and pieces of it but I think that fits the bill). There are a few American remakes of British comedy panel shows if you want to count those.

oh god no that's what we're talking about here? that shit's horrible D:
Quote by chrismendiola
There are a few American remakes of British comedy panel shows if you want to count those.
Well, Whose Line Is It Anyway really did take off in the US but it kind of lacks the rotativeness of British ones that is part of what makes it so appealling. Of course, most of the regulars had already been regulars on the British Whose Line.
I thought this was gonna be a thread for establishing a Comittee/Board/Panel to regulate, monitor, foresee, etc anything British-humor related on this site, and I was gonna run for a seat on it
Quote by Griffo48
British teeth are their own comedy..

I don't know where this comes from. I've been watching a lot of British shows and none of them have super horrible teeth. Could be that they all have money to fix their teeth but either way I don't get how teeth would be so much worse over there compared to the US.
I don't know about the panel shows but late night talk shows...Graham Norton surpasses anything and everything the Americans offer at the moment or in recent memory.
Si
Quote by VillainousLatin
I don't know where this comes from. I've been watching a lot of British shows and none of them have super horrible teeth. Could be that they all have money to fix their teeth but either way I don't get how teeth would be so much worse over there compared to the US.

they're not. you can find plenty of bad examples of British teeth, but usually when they do this the bad American examples are conveniently ignored. take a drip down to Cleveland, Texas and you get an entirely different picture.

OT: I don't ever watch these shows so I don't really have anything to contribute lol.
yeah i love sean lock's humour, he's awesome. never actually seen his stand-up though
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Mar 17, 2015,
Quote by 20Tigers
I don't know about the panel shows but late night talk shows...Graham Norton surpasses anything and everything the Americans offer at the moment or in recent memory.

And if that's the case I feel really bad for the Mericans.

Never understood Norton at all.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by snipelfritz
Nope. Not sure if it would work well or not. If you had good comedians it might.

I guess there was an American iteration of Buzzcocks a while back hosted by Marc Maron. I feel like it's hard for Americans to quite emulate the coy sarcasm of British comedy without just coming off as outright cruel or mean. Although Buzzcocks does come off as mean often.

I'd love to be the American version of Phil Jupitus.

There is nothing mean about Buzzcocks. Especially when Simon Amstell reads excerpts from Chantelle's book.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI

Quote by Fisheth24
And if that's the case I feel really bad for the Mericans.

Never understood Norton at all.

Watch the Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Hopper interviews on So Graham Norton. Television gold.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Mar 17, 2015,
Amstell's run of Buzzcocks was the height of funny, Mock The Week was also really high quality in Frankie Boyle's hey day. I think this was around 2007-10, that was really the height of panel shows.

Nowadays they seem too scripted and not as spontaneous, comics material gets recycled and they are just not as funny for me. They used to be "stop everything and watch" shows for me, now I will rarely tune in, but watch it if they happen to be on when I'm by the TV.

Have I Got News For You is still great though. A bit more high-brow and political and Paul Merson is just ridiculous.
No mention of Celebrity Juice?

Plonkers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No mention of Celebrity Juice?

Plonkers.

Kieth Lemon is chronically unfunny. Almost as chronically unfunny as Ben Elton.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Kieth Lemon is chronically unfunny. Almost as chronically unfunny as Ben Elton.

Keith Lemon is hilarious.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
4chan is the comedy UG could ever want, so redundant question.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Never tried them. Which ones should I check out to see if I dig them or not?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

Simon Amstell's reign of Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

Also Have I Got News For You if you like current affairs.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Mock The Week was also really high quality in Frankie Boyle's hey day. I think this was around 2007-10, that was really the height of panel shows.

Nowadays they seem too scripted and not as spontaneous, comics material gets recycled and they are just not as funny for me. They used to be "stop everything and watch" shows for me, now I will rarely tune in, but watch it if they happen to be on when I'm by the TV..

For me, as long as Dara doesn't leave, it's gonna be great. And yeah, it's always been kind of scripted and heavily edited apparently. They do see the themes for the stand up bits and the final bit beforehand and have time to prepare them, and they re-film some bits at the end. But they're pretty open about all that, really. I only really like the chatty bits tbh.
Quote by sickman411
For me, as long as Dara doesn't leave, it's gonna be great. And yeah, it's always been kind of scripted and heavily edited apparently. They do see the themes for the stand up bits and the final bit beforehand and have time to prepare them, and they re-film some bits at the end. But they're pretty open about all that, really. I only really like the chatty bits tbh.

I dont know whether its me that has grown up, but I used to find the show hilarious, but now I find it all kind of cringey. Dara is obviously still pretty funny but when everyone interjects with their scripted lines on a topic and it's so obvious that they prepared it a week beforehand I just curl up into a little ball and cringe. Needs more funny, improvisational stuff I think.

Thank god Russell Howard is gone though.
I love Dara. Probably my favourite stand-up.

And the stuff on Mock the week with him and Ed Byrne was always brilliant.
Quote by JustRooster

If you like just general silliness/jokes: Would I Lie To You or 8 Out Of 10 Cats

Music-theme: Never Mind The Buzzcocks

Current affairs: Have I Got News For You or Mock The Week

'Higher brow': QI

Those are my pick of the bunch anyway, tried to classify them a little so you can decide what'd suit you best.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Page 1 of 2