Hey guys, I need a new amp for gigging with my band. My eye dropped on the MG102CFX, which it sounds brilliant to me. My question is: has anyone had experience with it? Is it suitable for gigs in bars? I'd say 100-200 people more or less.
cheers guys
Stop.

Budget?
What kind of music do you play? Bands and link YouTube clips.
Do you have a cab?
Used or New?
Where do you live?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Giggable? Yes. It can get loud enough. Does it sound good, especially in gigging volumes? Well the MG amp and the MG cab (especially the speakers) are one of the most hated things on this forum so you do the math. But if you like the sound thats the important part. But I would look around for other options first. Dont just stick in Marshall, especially if you want solid state. In which in case I would get one of the new Randall RG amps, actually already own one and its a great amp.

*edit* Completely off topic, but lemurflames regarding your avatar my 5 month old Dachshund puppy says hi.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 16, 2015,
Quote by lemurflames
Stop.

Budget?
What kind of music do you play? Bands and link YouTube clips.
Do you have a cab?
Used or New?
Where do you live?

we do rhcp covers in manchester, budget about 300 pounds. don't have a cab, and dont mind either used or new
Quote by MaaZeus
*edit* Completely off topic, but lemurflames regarding your avatar my 5 month old Dachshund puppy says hi.

Make sure you teach it and make it understand where its place is in the home before it owns you.

Seen it happen too many times.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
chances are even if you tried the mg and loved it, you will tire of it very quickly. it's buzzy and fizzy, and just sounds weak when turned up.

if you're just after a nice clean channel and not amp distortion, check out the fender hotrod deluxe, or a peavey classic 50.
My MG was the worst amp I've ever owned. I'd say it was the worst amp I've ever heard, but I've heard some 10 watt, 8" speaker practice amps that were a little worse. But only a little worse.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
not a fan of peavy, trebles kills me. I never had the chance to try a fender, but from what I heard are not very versatile, so I just abandoned the idea
Quote by lemurflames
Make sure you teach it and make it understand where its place is in the home before it owns you.

Seen it happen too many times.

Oh I know, stubborn and intelligent little shits and I love them for it.

Actually only thing I gave up on (that fight lasted about 5 minutes) was at the first night when she wanted to sleep next to me. My previous Dachshund did too but since I have now grown fond of having more space in the bed I was determined to do otherwise with her. But her beeping and seeing those big ears flop at the edge of the bed (and just the ears, she could not jump high enough to see her face) was too much. A moment of weakness and now she sleeps curled under my armpit every night.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 16, 2015,
Sharing the bed with them is like a Dachshund law.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
the classic series is fairly dark, they're not like the high-gain heads. and what do you mean by not as versatile as other amps? unless you're talking about different channels and effects on the amp...they're pretty standard for a tube amp.
i'm talking as ignorant, for what i read they are not goo when you put some distortion on, obviously it's to check it out, cuz I might not be like they say.
Used Peavey VK212 and set the treble knob to your liking.

/thread
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
i use a peavy (can't tell what model) in the room i rehearse with my band, and I just hate it. I set the trebles almost to minimum, but that sound was way too "metallic" and very painful for my ears
Not sure what to tell you, but it's probably garbage. VK212 is a tube amp which is naturally warm and full. Definitely wouldn't be metallic or too trebly. I find it to be very dark, actually.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
If you hate treble then you should definitely give the ValveKing a chance. It's one of the darkest amps I know of.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If you hate treble then you should definitely give the ValveKing a chance. It's one of the darkest amps I know of.

dunno about the darkest. if you use teh clean channel you can turn the bright switch off. the drive channel doesn't seem very trebly to me at all. i use a strat with mine and i assume that you play one as well. not sure what amp you tried but i really doubt it was a VK or a classic 30. when you say versitile what does that mean to you. both those peaveys are 2 channel amps and can cover a lot of ground.
They're just
You'd be far better off with a used Peavey Classic 30/50 or Marshall JCM2000 DSL (made after 2003).
MG's are just garbage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have to consider budget guys, all choices you got me are above 300, I understand quality and everything, but I'm not a professional, plus I would need it only to gig, and don't know for how long this band will stay together.
The older Valveking model used is well below that and worth every penny. Its a nice tube amp with decent distortion channel and fantastic clean channel.

I mean used VK 100w head is about 230€, thats about 160 pounds. That leaves almost half of your budget for hunting down a good cab to go with it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 17, 2015,
First, I had problems with treble spikes with some of the smaller (less than 60w) Peavey tube combos, so I can't say I'm a fan.

Beyond that, I know several people have suggested good amps the you find outside your budget. There may be a good reason for that. Nothing delivers quite the same feeling of bad than listening to music played through bad gear. I know you say this is just for amateur stuff, but that's no excuse to sound amateurish. The better amps will help you avoid that. If nothing else, nobody else in the band will be able to tell you your gear sounds crappy, and that's why nobody is showing up for gigs.

And who cares if THIS band doesn't stay together? If you enjoy being in a band, you'll find another one...and you'll already have a decent amp to play through.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Cathbard
They're just
You'd be far better off with a used Peavey Classic 30/50 or Marshall JCM2000 DSL (made after 2003).
MG's are just garbage.

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Sivvio
i have to consider budget guys, all choices you got me are above 300, I understand quality and everything, but I'm not a professional, plus I would need it only to gig, and don't know for how long this band will stay together.

even more reason to get something decent, at a used price. you'd want more money back if you decide to sell the amp, yes? MGs don't hold their value at all. plus they're shit-hard to sell.
i would also second the valveking and DSL401c. the peavey classic series amps are pretty kick ass too.

mg's are shit. not worth the money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/