I have been struggling with thin sounding metal distortion pedals but those days are now permanently behind me. I just got a Rivera Rock Crusher attenuator and it is the real deal. I crank my Laney Iommi combo amp of doom to 8 on the volume dial and I am now getting true overdriven tube dirt tones at apartment friendly volumes.

There is no loss of tone whatsoever. Yeah, the price is steep, but for what you're getting I'd say it's actually cheap in the long run. I am really regretting not doing this ages ago.
A good sounding distortion pedal will work as well and on top of everything it will have a hell of a lot more versatility - a footswitch, knobs to turn to get different sounds...

Also to get a "true overdriven tube dirt tone" you could just turn the pre gain higher.

Your idea of being cheap in the long run is probably also not considering the fact that pushing the power tubes that hard will make them last shorter, so add the price of more sets into the equation.

Distortion pedals and attenuators are for different things, and my guess is that you simply didn't find a pedal that you liked enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Also to get a "true overdriven tube dirt tone" you could just turn the pre gain higher.

I did the comparison, sounds way better with volume knob at 12:00.
Attenuators are a cool concept, but Im not a big fan of them. I think a major part of the "cranked tube amp" sound isnt simply blasting the amplifier volume, but really pushing your speakers in your cab with that fresh analog signal. The interaction of the hard driven speakers in combination w the cranked amp is where the bliss has always come from for me. But if the rock crusher does what you were aiming for then congratulations. I love it when gear performs how I hope and gives the sound I want.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I also tested it on a Powerball 2 and with this one there can be no doubt. At non-ear-splitting volumes with no attenuator it sounds good, but not great. Put channel and master volume even just at 11:00 with the Rivera on and it's a tidal wave of thick, meaty gain in the chest. No comparison. I do agree though that the speaker being pushed adds another element.
'Sasquatch' who posts on RT and the Splawn boards runs one with his Quick Rod and he swears by it. I'm more of the school of what Waterboy was saying but I also trust Sasquatch's opinion and he has tried lots of attenuators.
Wow, $500ish? I would probably love one for my 6505 in my apt, but not at that price
Quote by Tempoe
Wow, $500ish? I would probably love one for my 6505 in my apt, but not at that price

My words exactly, until I bit the bullet and bought one! I have a 30-day return option at my local shop; I won't be using it on this thing.
Quote by Tempoe

The 6505 has a master volume
You dont NEED an attenuator for it
All their gain comes from the PREAMP
NOT the power amp

Attenuators are for getting POWERAMP distortion at quieter volumes

Of COURSE an amp sounds better turned up
Gotta get the speakers moving to get a great sound

FWIW, the Laney has a master volume, doesnt it?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
'Sasquatch' who posts on RT and the Splawn boards runs one with his Quick Rod and he swears by it. I'm more of the school of what Waterboy was saying but I also trust Sasquatch's opinion and he has tried lots of attenuators.

i am with 311 as well. they can be cool, but they don't do what i need. i did try an attentuator with my 18 watt and it was cool. but that is an amp that thrives from powertube overdrive. most everything else i use (except the jtm45, 18w, and a few others) use preamp gain which is more tasteful for what i play.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by darkwolf291
NOT the power amp

I agree but somewhere between 2 and 2.5 on the volume knob there is a big change in tone...at least in my rig. Trying to get an apartment/practice volume level out of a 6505 makes a bad muffled gainy sound. Once you get past that certain mark then the preamp starts to shine.
Quote by PB26
I just got a Rivera Rock Crusher attenuator and it is the real deal. I crank my Laney Iommi combo amp of doom to 8 on the volume dial and I am now getting true overdriven tube dirt tones at apartment friendly volumes.

Glad you like it. I went through about nine attenuators (purchased and returned or resold or tossed into one of the bins) before I realized that the real problem with them is that they change the sound (and not always to something you like) and they interfere with the interaction between output transformer and speaker voice coil. I've been through resistive, reactive, resistive/reactive combinations and a few that use a "reverse" power amplifier to reduce the output. An attenuator will always change the tone of the instrument, and this is why the Rivera has "Edge" and "Warm" switches to compensate on the Rivera, just as almost all other attenuators have some kind of adjustments. The Rivera will also compress things and reduce dynamic range, but if you're doing amp of dumb...er...doom stuff, that may not matter either.

My favorite tube amp tamer, of course, is the Fluxtone Speaker, which is pricier than most attenuators, but which doesn't interfere with that OT <-> Voice Coil loop. It just depends on the level of sophistication you have when it comes to tone and dynamics.

It's never made much sense to me to buy an amp with certain characteristics (particularly one that's pretty much a one-trick pony) and then to spend almost the same amount of money again to take away one of the things it provides. YMMV.
Quote by JBailey23
I agree but somewhere between 2 and 2.5 on the volume knob there is a big change in tone...at least in my rig. Trying to get an apartment/practice volume level out of a 6505 makes a bad muffled gainy sound. Once you get past that certain mark then the preamp starts to shine.

Again, that's because the speakers aren't moving well enough at that low of a volume.
You DO have to re-eq a bit when playing lower volumes.

ANY amp starts to shine as the volume is upped.
The speakers get moving and can produces the sound and moves more air
Quote by darkwolf291
NOT the power amp

Of COURSE an amp sounds better turned up
Gotta get the speakers moving to get a great sound

FWIW, the Laney has a master volume, doesnt it?

No MV on the Laney.

The Powerball 2 has a MV that controls power tube juice and the tone was night and day comparing preamp distortion only at lower volume (MV very low, channel vol high) vs. preamp + power tube distortion (channel and MV at noon) with attentuator. Not even in the same galaxy of tone quality.

With no attenuator, I also tried low channel volume and cranked MV for another lower overall volume option, and while it sounded better than the high channel volume/low MV approach, it still couldn't hold a candle to both volumes cranked but attenuated with the Rivera.

When the Rivera is attenuating at 20db or more you lose a touch of lows and highs that are easily made up either via amp EQ or the "warm" and "edge" switches on the Rivera.

End of the day, your ears will tell you. I love what I'm hearing and won't give that unit up for anything. I have to play at reasonable volumes 80% of the time and the Rivera allows me to get the tube amp tone I want. Can't speak for other units, this is the only one I've ever had.
Quote by PB26
No MV on the Laney.

The Powerball 2 has a MV that controls power tube juice and the tone was night and day comparing preamp distortion only at lower volume (MV very low, channel vol high) vs. preamp + power tube distortion (channel and MV at noon) with attentuator. Not even in the same galaxy of tone quality.

With no attenuator, I also tried low channel volume and cranked MV for another lower overall volume option, and while it sounded better than the high channel volume/low MV approach, it still couldn't hold a candle to both volumes cranked but attenuated with the Rivera.

When the Rivera is attenuating at 20db or more you lose a touch of lows and highs that are easily made up either via amp EQ or the "warm" and "edge" switches on the Rivera.

End of the day, your ears will tell you. I love what I'm hearing and won't give that unit up for anything. I have to play at reasonable volumes 80% of the time and the Rivera allows me to get the tube amp tone I want. Can't speak for other units, this is the only one I've ever had.

Really?
Well then, I stand corrected

The point remains for the 6505 though