I recently got a mid-80s Guild HSS fat-strat type guitar. The big issue I found is with the floating tremolo bridge. It's labeled "guild" on the bridge, so I guess it's proprietary (i.e., not a Floyd Rose or Kahler, though I guess it is probably similar to one of those). The posts/anchors appear pretty similar to these parts you can buy for a Floyd Rose tremolo:

http://www.allparts.com/BP-0195-003-Black-Anchors-and-Studs_p_928.html

When strung up and tuned, the guitar string tension pulls the floating bridge tight against who "posts" that are screwed into metal "anchors" set in the body, and the bridge pivots against these posts when you use it. So, understandably, that's a lot of force pushing these posts toward the neck.

Well, both of the posts on my Guild are leaning noticeably toward the neck. Also, I can see the anchors -- the parts that are supposed to be set into the body to hold the posts -- rising a bit when I push on the whammy bar.

These anchors should not be loose, and the posts should not be leaning. I guess 30+ years of use has taken it's toll. Anyway, I'm still within my window to return this guitar due to this issue. However, if it's not too much trouble for me to fix myself, or not too costly for a luthier to fix it, I might just keep it, since I really love the neck on this thing.

So I'm hoping for opinions on either (1) how to fix this myself or (2) how much do you think would be fair for this repair job? I'm also just generally interested to hear if others have faced this same issue with any guitar.

Thanks,

Ken
Attachments:
photo 2.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 7.JPG
Bernie Sanders for President!
I would return it, personally. Even if you do manage to fix it, any stabilization repair like that is going to wreck the value of the guitar, and for good reason.

I had a guitar where the same thing happened. I got quotes for something like $150 just to stabilize the posts to the point where it would be usable for a while (drilling out the post holes and plugging, re-drilling) and several hundred (300+, IIRC) to "do it right" where a substantial area around the posts would be removed, replaced and epoxied, and the finish covered up to some degree (it was a translucent finish, an opaque finish would make coverup easier).

I think the problem with this type of repair is that you'd have to be so invasive with wood removal/replacement that any proper job is going to mess up the finish pretty badly (and of course be expensive/difficult/possibly mess with the tone), and any half-measure is probably going to fail again eventually, since the wood couldn't handle the stress in the first place.

Maybe some of the handier people here have better solutions, but if it were me I would not keep a guitar with this bridge issue. There's no shortage of great guitars without serious structural defects, so unless you got a crazy deal on this guitar or it has lots of sentimental value you may want to consider getting something else.