So I've been looking at getting a tube amp for a few months, I've seen the Fender Vapourizer which I think sounds pretty sweet and easy to use, could hook up a tube screamer too and I think I would be happy.

Does anyone have any experience with them? come in pretty cheap to, only £200
I tried it out the other day. It sounded decent, but as you said, it is pretty cheap. I do think that it's pretty ugly though. But, if you like it, then get it. I would recommend to try it out before you buy though
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
They break up really quickly from what demos I've viewed. Also, the break-up doesn't sound too good to me. It nails the early rock tone at low or high saturation, but for modern use I wouldn't suggest it. The TS-9 might help with that. It has decent cleans.

I'd suggest looking into a Blues Jr. Still relatively cheap, sounds better (although the break-up might be rough higher up) and has a lot more versatility in comparision imo.

What genres would you use the amp for?
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 17, 2015,
mostly rock and blues, 70's sounding Led Zep/ Allman bros/ Clapton, and pretending I'm Albert King in the mancave, it doesn't really need big output as it won't be gigging, just for home use.

A headphone jack would be great because the Mrs get's cranky when I wake her but that might be asking too much?

I think in an ideal world a blues junior would be the go, might have to save a bit though as would prefer to spend under £300 if possible?
Yeah they're only £190 now from Dawsons just round the corner from me, which I have to say is pretty tempting. the ability to turn the tone and volume down with the reverb up for that jangly chinese sound is pretty tempting too as noise is always an issue where I live.

But like you say Will, I might grow out of it pretty quickly.

I should probably save for a blues jnr though second hand..
The Vaporizer is not a very versatile amp, but it's got a sound you could build around. And the "vaporizer mode" footswitch that it comes with might as well be a built in tube screamer. It bypasses the volume knob completely, and just blasts maximum gain. You have to control volume from your guitar at that point, if you want it any quieter than max volume, but it's a really nice classic OD sound, in my opinion.

You said they've got em at the local shop near you? Try it out. Don't be afraid to bring your own guitar, and your pedals, and seriously demo the thing, to see if it would work for you. The employees should be fine with that. But yeah, more than likely you'd be better off saving a bit more and getting a Blues Jr.

And regarding your comment about how a headphone jack would be nice: You're not going to find a headphone jack on a real tube amp. At least not one that sounds good. Tubes don't have to be absolutely cranked to sound good, but they do have to be pushed to a certain degree to sound the way they're supposed to sound, and you just can't do that through headphones. If you ever actually do need to practice that quietly, just pick up a small amp modeling multi-fx unit whenever you can. That's what I still keep my Digitech RP500 around for. It won't sound as good as your tube amp playing loud, but it will sound at least as good (probably better) than the headphone jack on a tube amp, if you can even find one with a jack.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by George Juggles
I tried it out the other day. It sounded decent, but as you said, it is pretty cheap. ....

IIRC they were around £400 when launched so stores are pretty much blowing them out at cost to get rid of them...Which makes them great value if you like the sound and can put up with the looks.

I would probably look for a Ramparte which is also a little unusual but more conservatively so.

I understand Fender is no longer pursuing their "Pawn Shop" range so such amps may increase in value over time, or may be worth next to nothing due to their challenging looks.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by peppersauzer
mostly rock and blues, 70's sounding Led Zep/ Allman bros/ Clapton, and pretending I'm Albert King in the mancave, it doesn't really need big output as it won't be gigging, just for home use.

A headphone jack would be great because the Mrs get's cranky when I wake her but that might be asking too much?

I think in an ideal world a blues junior would be the go, might have to save a bit though as would prefer to spend under £300 if possible?

I'm into similar styles and have become a serious 5W tube amp fan boy (I now have 4)

One of them is the Bugera V5 Infinium. It's an OK amp. Has a 0.1W and 1W attenuator in addition to its standard 5W.

It also has a headphone socket which sounds OK.

Gain, Tone, Volume and Reverb (quite a pleasant unintrusive digital reverb).

And no more expensive than the price of a good pedal from Thomans

So that's the good news. Bad news? It sounds a bit sterile to me and the attenuator seems to suck some/quite a lot of the tone. I might try a retube to see if I can liberate it a bit.

Of my four 5W amps it doesn't come 1st, despite being the most versatile but, on some days, comes in 2nd to my handwired 5F2a clone.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.