Page 1 of 2
I've seen many heavy metal bands use Jackson, ESP, Schecter, and the Gibson SG. Any other guitars that you would classify as guitars used for metal?
I guess it's cool if you like asking meaningless questions.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Any guitar with a humbucker
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Charvel, BC Rich, Suhr, Kramer, Legator, Strictly 7, Caparison, KXK, Ibanez, Ran Custom, Washburn, Framus, Neal Moser, James Trussart, Electrical Guitar Company, Travis Bean, National, any solidbody guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position.

Are you looking for a new guitar? What is the purpose of this thread?
Last edited by sashki at Mar 17, 2015,
Quote by sashki
Charvel, BC Rich, Suhr, Kramer, Legator, Strictly 7, KXK, Ibanez, Ran Custom, Washburn, Framus, Neal Moser, James Trussart, Electrical Guitar Company, Travis Bean, National, any solidbody guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position.

Are you looking for a new guitar? What is the purpose of this thread?

Yes I am looking for a guitar to use solemnly for metal. My ESP that I currently own is wearing down, so looking for a backup at the moment. Mainly looking for a floyd guitar, but I'm open to a standard as well.

How's Washburn? That's the guitar Dime used to use if I remember correctly.
So instead of giving us a budget, music you play and your current gear you figured this question would get you the answers youre looking for?

Right.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Custom shop ESP then.
Or a Mayo.
Or a Jackson custom shop
Or a PRS private stock.

EDIT. what H4T3BR33D3R said.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So instead of giving us a budget, music you play and your current gear you figured this question would get you the answers youre looking for?

Right.

Budget: $900 and less.
Current gear: Peavey 6505+
Music I intend to play: thrash, metalcore, groove metal (like Pantera).
Do you need a trem? Preference for neck thickness/shape? Anything a dealbreaker for you?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
And damn you guys are sure busting my balls for a simple question. The purpose of this thread was to get people to mention a few guitars so I could then go on YouTube and look them up to see which I prefer.
Yeah and thats an awful way to pick guitars. Would you rather bad advice?

We can do that too
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Metal has more to do with the operator and amp than the guitar. You can play any style of music on any guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Edwards guitars (japanese ESP)
I can list loads of more guitars off if you like?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Do you need a trem? Preference for neck thickness/shape? Anything a dealbreaker for you?

Trem not needed
A shape like the Gibson explorer or a V is something that I see myself enjoying
Active pickups
Thin neck is preferred
ESP/LTD would be one to consider. They have a few V shapes and Explorer shapes with thinner necks and actives.

Jackson would be another company to look at. Their pro line is a bit hit and miss but if you get a good one theyre keepers. You could also find used MIJ pro lines as well.

Schecter makes a V you might like.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by RCA1186
Any guitar with a humbucker

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude, I'd play some mad Periphery on that shit.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
ESP/LTD would be one to consider. They have a few V shapes and Explorer shapes with thinner necks and actives.

Jackson would be another company to look at. Their pro line is a bit hit and miss but if you get a good one theyre keepers. You could also find used MIJ pro lines as well.

Schecter makes a V you might like.

Do you have any experience with Washburn guitars?
Quote by Granata

I've played 1 washburn guitar. It was a lower end strat copy.

Why do you want a Washburn?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Dude, I'd play some mad Periphery on that shit.

Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong, as I've said before, you can overstate the differences between guitars, but you can underestimate them as well. If I know I'm playing metal there are going to be certain styles of guitar I'm going to gravitate towards. Not just because they're black, but because they're more geared towards playing metal. Even if you have a metal-orientated amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 17, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong, as I've said before, you can overstate the differences between guitars, but you can underestimate them as well. If I know I'm playing metal there are going to be certain styles of guitar I'm going to gravitate towards. Not just because they're black, but because they're more geared towards playing metal. Even if you have a metal-orientated amp.

Was just a joke. I don't actually think you'd be getting the greatest br00tz tone out of that Godin
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^ Oh yeah I knew you were joking. That's why I said "Yeah."

Sorry for being ambiguous

Quote by Granata

not since they changed where they were made back in the day about ~10 years ago the x40 pro, x50 pro and wi65 pro were pretty sweet for around £250-£400 here in the UK, for some reason they were pretty good value here. I much preferred them to the schecters I'd tried and they were about half the price with the same (or better) specs and were more or less made in the same place (korea).

But that doesn't apply to the newer ones, I think the cheaper washburns now aren't made in korea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh so finally this has become a thread about looking for a particular guitar?

Why didn't you say so earlier? If you're just looking for brands, that's a very stupid way to look for what guitar you want.

You aren't being specific enough. What kind of neck profile do you want? What pickups do you want?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Id give the new washburns a miss. Ive said it a few times and i'll say it again. 2nd hand ESP or an Edwards guitar.

They do explorer and V shapes. Slim necks (depends on your version of thin i guess, I like the necks)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Id give the new washburns a miss. Ive said it a few times and i'll say it again. 2nd hand ESP or an Edwards guitar.

They do explorer and V shapes. Slim necks (depends on your version of thin i guess, I like the necks)

Edwards are nice but if you're buying new and not from sites like Jauce/Rinkya etc... then you're waaaaaaaaay overpaying IMHO.

Especially when you take shipping, taxes and import fees.

That being said, I paid about 500-600 bucks for mine and that was totally worth it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If you want Washburn then get a Dimeslime 333 and be done with it.
Now, you mentioned metalcore and thrash. ESP LTD is a good brand for that. They have an explorer shaped guitar with EMG'S and they have an Alexi Laiho sig model that is the only v guitar they have that I know of. That has a single humbucker and it's a passive EMG Hz.

For groove metal something like a Dean or that WAshburn I mentioned. The washburn has passives, so if you can live with that fair enough.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
If you want Washburn then get a Dimeslime 333 and be done with it.
Now, you mentioned metalcore and thrash. ESP LTD is a good brand for that. They have an explorer shaped guitar with EMG'S and they have an Alexi Laiho sig model that is the only v guitar they have that I know of. That has a single humbucker and it's a passive EMG Hz.

For groove metal something like a Dean or that WAshburn I mentioned. The washburn has passives, so if you can live with that fair enough.

Why would you recommend a guitar that is:

1) Not produced anymore

2) Is hard to find

?

Like Dean still makes the ML. It's the same thing, why not just recommend that?

He could spend his money better instead of buying an import Dean either way.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 17, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why would you recommend a guitar that is:

1) Not produced anymore

2) Is hard to find

It's not really that hard to find. Nothing half an hour on ebay won't solve.I said Washburn over Dean because the washurns are much better quality according to a lot of people.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
It's not really that hard to find. Nothing half an hour on ebay won't solve.I said Washburn over Dean because the washurns are much better quality according to a lot of people.

And you've had experience with both guitars to know thats true right?

Just cause you can find a couple on ebay now doesnt mean its easy to find.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
And you've had experience with both guitars to know thats true right?

Just cause you can find a couple on ebay now doesnt mean its easy to find.

A lot of people here haven't even touched the stuff they recommend, so...
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
A lot of people here haven't even touched the stuff they recommend, so...

Again you know this as a fact right?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Again you know this as a fact right?

An observation. Can we stop threadjacking now?
Sure, TS can buy a Dean as well, the ML knight has that ML shape and EMG's. But also a floyd.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
An observation. Can we stop threadjacking now?
Sure, TS can buy a Dean as well, the ML knight has that ML shape and EMG's. But also a floyd.

A baseless one based upon your lack of knowledge on a lot of things guitar related?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A baseless one based upon your lack of knowledge on a lot of things guitar related?

Quote by tubadude
from what i heard, the Deans are crap unless you pay at least 3 grand. and from talking to people who had the privledge to play both at the same time (pick one up, and put the other down) the washburn was better. even the cheap ones are good.

Quote by Zeus2716
i would go with the washburn. i hear that the lower end deans are crap, and, IMHO, washburn is at the top of the guitar manufacturing industry rite now.

Quote by steven seagull
phail

Dime used the Washburn sigs for the majority of his career and general consensus that dollar for dollar they're markedly superior to their Dean equivalents.

Fly on, fly on
Fair enough.

Still doesn't change the point though. TS will never be able to play one first, will have a hard time finding one and could spend the money better.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
From reading this thread and observing.

TS is it possible for you to go out and try some guitars at all? Simply because what's described as thin to someone else might not be thin to you (I seem to think Schecter necks are pretty thick) but people say that they're thin.

All subjective. That's all.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
From reading this thread and observing.

TS is it possible for you to go out and try some guitars at all? Simply because what's described as thin to someone else might not be thin to you (I seem to think Schecter necks are pretty thick) but people say that they're thin.

All subjective. That's all.

that's honestly the best thing to do. At least if you go that route, you will actually know what you want/need from a guitar. Heck you might even find the perfect one in the store and won't even have to worry about ordering one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2