Hi folks I joined here today to ask a question. I've been playing on and off for a couple of years and have a Jackson dk2. recently started taking it much more seriously and practising for about 2 hours a day. I keep thinking about changing guitar to a Epiphone Les Paul prophecy EX or a Matt Heafy Les Paul. My question is would a Les Paul feel a lot different from my Jackson? how different is the neck on a Les Paul? is it suitable for a novice guitarist? any feedback is welcome
first of all. welcome to UG!

My 2 main guitars throughout the years have been Jacksons and Les Pauls. First I'll answer the questions you asked and then try and compare them a few different ways for you

It will feel a lot different from your Jackson, yes. Not in a bad way, but it *will* feel different. Why? Les Pauls have thicker necks than Jacksons, as well as smaller frets. They are quite a bit heavier. They sit diffirently both on your lap, and hanging from a strap. It will be much more difficult to reach the higher frets, especially while playing standing up with a strap. The top horn can be quite uncomfortable when playing for a long period of time (it digs into your ribs. takes some getting used to). The fixed bridge will feel much different than the floyd rose that you're used to. The selector switch is in a much different location, so you'll have to get accustomed to that. Plus now you have one volume and one tone per EACH pickup, rather than one volume and tone for the overall guitar. That feels different too.

The neck is also different in that it has a 24 3/4" Scale rather than 25 1/2" . You will notice that the frets are "closer together" (This ISN'T a bad thing, in fact I prefer it!) as well as a 12" Radius (As opposed to the jackson, which goes from 12 up to 16" on the higher frets, making it much flatter). The neck on an LP is also not as wide from E string to e string. Most people would say these differences make the JACKSON easier to "shred" on , and the LES PAUL easier to "Chord" on . But hey - Zakk Wylde shreds like anything on a les paul - and plenty of amazing jazz players lay down their chords on a Jackson.

None of these are BAD things at all, even if you're a "shred" guitarist or want to play heavy metal or other technical music, you may find that all these differences work for you in a way that makes things easier - you'll have to try for yourself to find out. I know that I far prefer my Les Paul for just about everything over my Jacksons. even for shredding.

Another big thing you'll notice in the "feel" department (which also translates over to the TONE department) is the SUSTAIN! The Les Paul is going to have a lot more transference of bridge/string vibrations, you'll feel the difference as soon as you play your first chord. Everything resonates more. You're basically doubling the mass of the guitar you're playing, as well as gluing the neck on, and affixing the bridge.

Now with the Prophecy (and probably the matt heafy) I do believe those Epiphones are designed with slightly thinner necks, and the prophecy I believe even has a thinner body and 24 frets to make it a little lighter and more comfortable. But most of the differences I said are still going to apply.

If these differences all sound scary, just try one out. You'll get used to them in no time. One of my favorite LP features is the location of the switch, I personally find it much easier to make a quick switch in the middle of a solo or riff with it there as opposed to down by the other controls.

It sounds like your mind is really set on playing around with a Les Paul, and I think you'll quite enjoy it
Last edited by trashbeast at Mar 17, 2015,
hey thanks so much for a great informative reply. yes I noticed the selector switch is in a different place to my Jackson. and I like the fact that it doesn't have a tremolo as changing tunings is a bit of a faf about with the tremolo. as you will well know locking down the locking nut then undoing it when changing tuning is a bit time consuming. I've always liked les pauls as most of my guitar heroes play them or a copy of them (zakk wylde, slash, hetfield with esp eclipse) and love the tone of the les paul and the looks of them. having the frets closer together could well help me then as I sometimes struggle to stretch my hand to make a chord shape. I will go try one out very soon then. thanks again for your reply
Hello just a update to say I took delivery of a epiphone les paul prophecy plus yesterday. Very pleased with it so far. Neck doesn't feel to alien to me which was my main concern. Sure do notice the extra weight and sustain. Really pleased I bought it
Quote by 37lincsmale
Hello just a update to say I took delivery of a epiphone les paul prophecy plus yesterday. Very pleased with it so far. Neck doesn't feel to alien to me which was my main concern. Sure do notice the extra weight and sustain. Really pleased I bought it

Congrats on the new guitar!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3