So, hey guys. I've got no idea on how to do any of this, because I used to play guitar until a while ago and I was drafted into playing bass.

So any advice onto a new gigging bassist?

My guitarists keep hounding me to get a "bass amp" but I've already got a Sansamp bass pedal with the idea of going into a PA. And because of just having major surgery I'm not allowed to lift anything dangerously heavy. So bigger amps and cabs are out.

And I've heard reports of controlling sound guys that won't let me plug into my DI box. If toy guys can give me some advice to this that would be awesome.

Anyway, my gear plan so far is to have everything on a small board, including a wireless, tuner, sansamp and a chorus pedal/compressor (if needed)

So what do you guys think? Do I need an amplifier if there's already a PA there and I have a DI box? Which would be better for my convenience as I don't drive or anything and it's already a pain to get two basses on a train considering my back (My friends help me with my stuff though, so that's a plus)

Also: Are soundguys really that controlling? I've never had anything like that as a guitarist for the last few years, but how would I deal with that if it happens? I don't want to piss off a soundguy or anything. Buy them a beer or something?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
any sound guys ive dealt with have been the opposite. they love that i'd go straight to the board but they love beer you can get some impressive sounding small bass heads as well markbass and warwick are the ones that spring to mind.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Yeah, that's the issue.The guitarist is a bit of a traditionalist and says my Jazz Bass isn't a real Jazz bass because of five strings and that I need an amp because the soundguy won't let me plug my Sansamp in (It's the bass VT)

Another question I have is about my chain.

So I've got Wireless-Tuner-Sansamp-Chorus. Do I just take the out from the Chorus pedal into the board? Or do I need to do something else here? Like use the XLR out into the board or what?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If your going to play bass, get a bass rig. The Hartke stuff is nice and cheap, and besides a used Gallien Krueger RB400 would be my first choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your going to play bass, get a bass rig. The Hartke stuff is nice and cheap, and besides a used Gallien Krueger RB400 would be my first choice.

That's another issue, I can't afford anything right now and because of my stomach due to surgery I won't be able to lift anything for a good year, I have a bass cab coming for my JCM800, which looking at schematics isn't dissimilar from the bass version.

My only issue now is getting stuff there as I don't have a cab at all and from what I'm reading a lot of soundguys like having stuff DI'd due to bleed and all that stuff.

Plus I'm not really a fan of excessive cabling. But that's just preference and can be overlooked.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
That's another issue, I can't afford anything right now and because of my stomach due to surgery I won't be able to lift anything for a good year, I have a bass cab coming for my JCM800, which looking at schematics isn't dissimilar from the bass version.

My only issue now is getting stuff there as I don't have a cab at all and from what I'm reading a lot of soundguys like having stuff DI'd due to bleed and all that stuff.

Plus I'm not really a fan of excessive cabling. But that's just preference and can be overlooked.

What do you mean bass cab? Is it loaded with bass speakers? Any EVM 12L clones will work, Swamp Thangs and G12k100 will work fine for bass and guitar.

You can do it that way, use your head and run a bass cab. I'd probably just run the Sansamp into the FX loop return and use the power section.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What do you mean bass cab? Is it loaded with bass speakers? Any EVM 12L clones will work, Swamp Thangs and G12k100 will work fine for bass and guitar.

You can do it that way, use your head and run a bass cab. I'd probably just run the Sansamp into the FX loop return and use the power section.

Yeah, they are, but I was wondering if I could use my Marshall 4X12 instead as it's considerably lighter... It's got GT-1275's in it.

I'm assuming it's a no but I thought I'd ask.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Your guitarist is a twat. As Moody said, sound guys love being able to just plug into the board. It means not having to mic up a cab which - where possible - is always a plus.
Also, tell the guitarist to stick to guitar and stop asserting his traditionalism in your bass. 5 string basses as we know them have been around since 1975 when Jimmy Johnson had a custom B string wound by GHS to put on his existing 5 string (EADGC).
/rant

The 1/4" output from the chorus should be fine into the desk. Of course, if the pedal has a balanced XLR out, you may as well use that, but there's no need to worry.

Basically, just speak to the sound guy at the venue. It's almost certain that he'll be happy to take your DI straight into the board, but if he can't, pick up a small bass amp. something like a 200-400 watt head and a 2x10.

Here's a pair of rigs I quickly put together on Andertons, both for under 500 quid:

TC Electronic:
BG250 head http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid25030/cid685/tc-electronic-bh250-compact-bass-head.asp
BC210 cab http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid19562/cid686/tc-electronic-bc210-2x10-bass-cabinet.asp

Ashdown:
Rootmaster 220 head http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid32551/cid685/ashdown-rmmag220-220w-rootmaster-mag-bass-head.asp
Rootmaster 2x10 cab http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid32557/cid686/ashdown-rmmag210t-350w-2-x-10-8-ohm-with-tweeter-rootmaster.asp
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Mar 17, 2015,
Quote by Fisheth24
Yeah, they are, but I was wondering if I could use my Marshall 4X12 instead as it's considerably lighter... It's got GT-1275's in it.

I'm assuming it's a no but I thought I'd ask.

It would work, but you run the risk of ruining the G12t75's because they don't have the ability to move far enough (safely) to produce the lows you need for bass.

You just need to man up and lug the heavy cab , at least you can put casters on it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It would work, but you run the risk of ruining the G12t75's because they don't have the ability to move far enough (safely) to produce the lows you need for bass.

You just need to man up and lug the heavy cab , at least you can put casters on it

Yeah but I've got an open stomach right now and that would put me back into hospital

I don't have a car either, but i have a couple of friends... I'll see what they say.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Your guitarist is a twat. As Moody said, sound guys love being able to just plug into the board. It means not having to mic up a cab which - where possible - is always a plus.
Also, tell the guitarist to stick to guitar and stop asserting his traditionalism in your bass. 5 string basses as we know them have been around since 1975 when Jimmy Johnson had a custom B string wound by GHS to put on his existing 5 string (EADGC).
/rant

The 1/4" output from the chorus should be fine into the desk. Of course, if the pedal has a balanced XLR out, you may as well use that, but there's no need to worry.

Basically, just speak to the sound guy at the venue. It's almost certain that he'll be happy to take your DI straight into the board, but if he can't, pick up a small bass amp. something like a 200-400 watt head and a 2x10.

Here's a pair of rigs I quickly put together on Andertons, both for under 500 quid:

TC Electronic:
BG250 head http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid25030/cid685/tc-electronic-bh250-compact-bass-head.asp
BC210 cab http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid19562/cid686/tc-electronic-bc210-2x10-bass-cabinet.asp

Ashdown:
Rootmaster 220 head http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid32551/cid685/ashdown-rmmag220-220w-rootmaster-mag-bass-head.asp
Rootmaster 2x10 cab http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid32557/cid686/ashdown-rmmag210t-350w-2-x-10-8-ohm-with-tweeter-rootmaster.asp

The TC stuff looks cheap enough, might get one of the TC heads, but don't they have reliability issues?

Yeah thanks for the info on the Jazz bass, I didn't actually know that!

But I've heard as long as I'm using a bass amp with enough ohmage/right wattage I can use a guitar head as an amp, is there any truth to this?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Yeah but I've got an open stomach right now and that would put me back into hospital

I don't have a car either, but i have a couple of friends... I'll see what they say.

That TC rig I posted is actually not too bad in terms of weight. The cab is 19 kg which, with two people, should be easy, and the head is just 4.5.
yes a guitar head can run a bass into a bass cab with no issues (besides headroom and EQ limitations), it is the cabs/speakers where the biggest difference is
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
With a good DI box, running straight into the PA is actually a really good idea, at least if it's a decent size PA, with good speakers. You could also consider getting a small but decent wattage combo amp to use on stage as a monitor, for yourself and maybe the drummer, and run the direct out from that to the PA for the higher show volume. And there are some great options for crazy light bass combo amps. Fender's new Rumble amps, and the GK MB combos get up to 500 watts, in full combo enclosures that weigh less than 50 pounds. Actually, the Rumble 500 combo is less than 40.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
This probably isn't something you can afford right now, but you should be aware of it:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1672908

At 33 lbs for a bonafide 800W RMS 127dB powered speaker cabinet, you could run your Sansamp into it directly or use it as a personal bass monitor or a small venue bass amp, etc. It's a lot smaller than carting around a 4x12 and it actually gets down into the bass range (which your 4x12 will not).
In your shoes I'd keep using the Sansamp as a preamp, and I'd buy a lightweight class D power amp (Crown make some good ones) to power a neodynium light-weight speaker as a personal monitor (Barefaced, fEARful, GK, etc). I'd also forcibly drag my guitarist into the 21st century.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Yes, forcibly drag the twat guitarist into the latter half of the 20th Century.

My dad was a 5 String Player when he and my grandfather gave the albino twin schoolmate Edgar Winter his first gig, there in Beumont Texas. Dad still has his 5 String Double Bass Violin by Kay.

When I opened for Petra 5 times, and Clair Bros. was running the sound, I waived off my speaker cabinet and turned off the Micro Tech running only my TFX4 and Yamaha PB-1 Bass Preamp through the House and 4 Meyers cabinets in the side wash.

It was a pinnacle experience.

Dr's Orders are Dr's Orders.

Tell the Guitard to go study his history, and see 5 string DBV's predate the Jazz Bass.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at Mar 31, 2015,