http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/FR800.htm?utm_source=Barefaced+PA+speakers+-+the+FR800+is+here%21&utm_campaign=Endorsers+Announcement&utm_medium=email

Barefaced Bass finally has their small PA speaker out (according to the above blurb from an email). Wondered if anyone in the UK has had an opportunity to try one out yet. This is a powered 800W RMS speaker cabinet with a single 12 and tweeter capable of handling up to a 200 person crowd without a sub.

Alex Claber is usually very forthcoming with accurate data for his speaker cabs, and I'm thinking that this would make a pretty good cabinet for someone with those "I'm looking for something that would work in my bedroom but still be good for gigging and that wouldn't weigh a lot because I only weigh 98 pounds myself". Pricetag is around 1099 Pounds Sterling ($1621.00 in today's money).

22" x 18" x 15" (rounded up), 33 lbs, 127 dB long term, 42Hz - 16Khz.

This would more than cover the unwashed downtuned and could easily be hidden under a pile of dirty t-shirts, could be one-handed into the venue or practice by a girlfriend (assuming several somethings, here) and a couple of these on stands would allow a guitar player with a Pod, a keyboardist and some vocals to do serious damage (if you could get the bass player to buy one of Barefaced's subs to add to this, he could probably tap in, too) with no more than a smallish mixer added in.

If you figure the total cost compared to a bunch of amps, instrument mikes, stands *plus* a standard PA, it's not a bad choice pricewise. And load-in and load-out would be pretty spectacularly easy. Except for the drummer, of course.

Last edited by dspellman at Mar 17, 2015,
Never tried them, I've heard of them, though. I think Barefaced (cabinets) came up in a couple of threads at the fretboard forum (mainly UK-centric forum, pretty much the successor to the musicradar forum, which was run by the big UK guitar magazines), if you're interested in taking a look over there. But I doubt there'd be anything about this model since it's so new.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Never tried them, I've heard of them, though. I think Barefaced (cabinets) came up in a couple of threads at the fretboard forum (mainly UK-centric forum, pretty much the successor to the musicradar forum, which was run by the big UK guitar magazines), if you're interested in taking a look over there. But I doubt there'd be anything about this model since it's so new.

Alex is a contributor at TalkBass.com and is one of maybe five or six cabinet designers on the forum working at a very high level to offer modern bass players non-traditional options.

A lot of bass players are finding that their favorite bass cabinets are actually full-range frequency response cabinets that accommodate their needs for non-farty (and loud) clean bottom end with a balanced response that includes high-end response for slapping, etc.

Some have snagged Meyer PA cabinets (very pricey, very heavy), some have modified standard PA cabinets and added subs, and some have been on the lookout for something powerful, light and compact.

Dave Green has done a great job with the fEARful and fEARless range of bass cabs, as well as his awesome little Crazy 8 and Crazy 88 cabinets. All are very full range, all have serious power handling capabilities, most are using relatively new neo-based speakers developed for the Pro Audio market.

Alex Claber's designs (like Dave's) use thinner plywood with creative bracing and different density choices, as well as tough coatings that eliminate tolex' inherent issues.

All of these designs require speakers that have high voice coil excursion limits; they produce a LOT of sound from a comparatively small cone area.

It also produces speaker cabinet designs that are extremely versatile; that provide uncolored sound output for modeled guitar, bass, keyboards and even vocals, etc.
ah right yeah I should've guess he probably posted on talkbass I occasionally check it out when I'm interested in something, but I don't even really qualify as a lurker there
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?