I'm posting this here because I have a question or 2 about the gear that goes in a pedalboard, not the build itself.

So I'm looking for a power supply for my pedal board. I only want 6 pedals at max and money is an issue. I believe I'll need something that will have a selector for the voltage I need since one of my pedals is 18v. What would this thing be, and what would it be called? (10 Band EQ) Here's another, question, I've seen people have a power strip with all the adaptors to their pedeals plug in that... Would it be cheaper to do it like that or would it be better to get the power supply for the pedals I need?

I'm not sure what my budget it but I'm kind of cheap so Im going the homemade route.

I check my stuff frequently so I'll post more info If I need to.
Buy a 1 spot with 5 plugs. Also purchase an adapter that will give power just to the 10 Band EQ. I use a power strip on my board with 3 adapters (RP-155 AC adapter, RAT center positive adapter, 1-spot). It gets kinda noisy once the RAT and the boost are engaged (the RAT would be noisy even isolated), but it isn't noticeable in a band setting.

If you want to look into getting an isolated power supply, there are models that have 9/18v ports as well as high mA outputs for all your power-hungry pedals. I think the Walrus Audio Aetos, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power, and others should have that. But that is not really a budget option imo. The budget option is my first rec.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 17, 2015,
if you think you need 6, get 8.

but i would go with a 1Spot and a proper adapter for the 10-band. should be under $40 all said and done. i don't have a noise issue with my 1Spot, and i am running a pitchblack, a Zendrive, an OCD, a Malekko 616, and a Malekko 616 Lo-Fi, with no noise issues. yes the OD's are stacked.

if you decide you want a power brick, make sure that its inputs are isolated, otherwise its a glorified 1Spot that costs $50+ more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Concerning pedal sequence (depending if you have an effects loop)

You want distortion, drive and wah going right to the front.
All time based pedals (phaser, delay, flanger, chorus, reverb etc.) in the effects loop. If you have a booster, try it both in the front and loop. It depends on the channel settings of the clean and drive channels. Experiment, i.e. learn by doing.
Hooper drives the boat chief...
if budget is really an issue, look into getting a used Voodoo Labs power supply.

I got one for 50$ USD off another player and it works great.

also ended up using all eight ports and would have sworn to you I only really needed 4 anyways.

so yes, if you think you need 6, get 8
2014 Fender Classic Players Strat (60th anniversary reissue)
2011 Ibanez Prestige JC1750
Fender Frontman 212
Laney GH120
Marshall MGDFX 100
Pedal stuffs too
Since I play metal I use an overdrive in front of my amp as a clean boost and that's about it.
All my distortion comes from the amp. And the reason I only say I need 6 pedals is because I only know 4 I'll need in the loop xD A chorus, An EQ pedal, Noise Gate, and possibly a reverb.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you think you need 6, get 8.

but i would go with a 1Spot and a proper adapter for the 10-band. should be under $40 all said and done. i don't have a noise issue with my 1Spot, and i am running a pitchblack, a Zendrive, an OCD, a Malekko 616, and a Malekko 616 Lo-Fi, with no noise issues. yes the OD's are stacked.

if you decide you want a power brick, make sure that its inputs are isolated, otherwise its a glorified 1Spot that costs $50+ more.

One question, Like a super noob question lol. Is a one spot something that only has one power plug, but can power multiple pedals of the same voltage because they are linked together?
Quote by Sir Stoney
One question, Like a super noob question lol. Is a one spot something that only has one power plug, but can power multiple pedals of the same voltage because they are linked together?

there is the adapter that fits in a single outlet space with a daisy chain of plugs, the only downside is that it can only do 9v, and only normal polarity. so some fuzzes won't work with it, and some pedals that are 18v it won't work with either (MXR 10-band for example).

but for most things its pretty nice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/visual-sound-1-spot-combo-pack?rNtt=1%20spot&index=1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/