Like the title says- going on a trip.

Any special"guitarry" things I should know about? Any good stores? Any local makers of note- acoustic or electric?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 18, 2015,
Just don't have sex with little boys and you should be fine.

So no don't do what Romans do
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 18, 2015,
Screw guitars man. Ride scooters and eat pizza.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just don't have sex with little boys and you should be fine.

So no don't do what Romans do

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
You may want to pay a visit to Bandiera, one of the oldest guitar stores in town.
The address is: Via Cavour, 145
Rome is all about the history of classical civilization so don't miss it. Get the guided tours that take you to the front of the line at all major sites and museums and avoid 90% of the crowds. Tours in the early am, and relax and hang out in the PM but always mind your valuables. This is a top 5 pickpocket destination. Some street musicians in the piazzas are quite good. October is a great month to be there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 18, 2015,
Sorry, Cajundaddy- forgot to mention I've been to Rome twice before. Thanks though!

Thanks for the recommendation, soloistus!

Robgnarly, I said ROME, not ATHENS!

H4T3BR33D3R, pizza will be eaten, but the scooter is probably not going to be an option. I'm primarily going as an assistant to someone who is mobility impaired. I am, however, going on someone else's dime, so...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 18, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sorry, Cajundaddy- forgot to mention I've been to Rome twice before. Thanks though!

H4T3BR33D3R, pizza will be eaten, but the scooter is probably not going to be an option. I'm primarily going as an assistant to someone who is mobility impaired. I am, however, going on someone else's dime, so...

I see. Well pasta, pizza and wine it is then!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

They were little boy lovers in Rome also

Even though I'm not Catholic, I'd have to visit Vatican City. Deff have some good food and ask some locals what they suggest. Venice would be another must see if I was going.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Going to the Vatican (3rd time) as the point of the trip: 2 locals from our parish are getting ordained as deacons by Cardinal Dolan. I may be wrong, but the may even be a papal audience.

Went to Venice almost 30 years ago- great city!

As for the pedo-ursines, they were just copying the Geeks,

I love Rome (I have NO idea if there's a single guitar in the entire city, never cared), but my next trip I'm taking a side trip to the Ciociaria region near Naples. There's something in the water there. I've met two women from that area who are the spit of Sophia Loren, head to toe. I'm wondering if there are more.

Given the paucity of guitar models in Europe, you might consider taking a few over with you for some of our forum-mates. Probably pay for the trip.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 18, 2015,
Yeah I'd like to see the Vatican just so I could see for myself one of the biggest reasons for war and scientific stifling ever and take a #2 in their toilet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
I love Rome (I have NO idea if there's a single guitar in the entire city, never cared), but my next trip I'm taking a side trip to the Ciociaria region near Naples. There's something in the water there. I've met two women from that area who are the spit of Sophia Loren, head to toe. I'm wondering if there are more.

Note to self: shop for a wife.

Given the paucity of guitar models in Europe, you might consider taking a few over with you for some of our forum-mates. Probably pay for the trip.

I thought about that, but I'm already going to be loaded down like a pack mule! I will have to carry my luggage PLUS that of the person I'm assisting.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I'd like to see the Vatican just so I could see for myself one of the biggest reasons for war and scientific stifling ever and take a #2 in their toilet

Such hyperbole and over generalization! Sure, we've been involved in starting/escalating wars and being anti-progress. Nearly every ideology has at some point or another.

Remember, Catholics didn't burn down the library of Alexandria*. And it was
Catholic monks who transcribed and preserved most of what we have of written documents from Ancient Greece.

Right now, IS and other extremists are making it difficult to remember that Islamic scholars made countless contributions to mathematics and astronomy. Or that 4 of the last 10 Nobel Peace laureates are Muslim.

The toilet is nice, though.

* of the 4 burnings, the only one that involved Christians was because of a decree by the Coptic pope.

Quote by dspellman

so do i scratch Iceland off the list or just bump up Ciociaria?

tell me brother i need to keep my priorities prioritized.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Icelandic babes vs Italian babes?

"LET'S GET IT ON!"

Eat Italian food and don't worry about guitars... Go where the locals go and avoid everything aimed at tourists like the plague. That's my take on Italy, at least. Going to Sicily in the summer personally.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Eat Italian food and don't worry about guitars...

You would make a TERRIBLE pusher!

Quote by gregs1020
so do i scratch Iceland off the list or just bump up Ciociaria?

Depends.

Blonds or Brunettes?
Boobs or Blue Eyes?

Pasta or Hakarl (shark cured by burying it under the ground for 6-12 weeks, then hanging it to dry and ferment for four to five months). The latter tastes like ammonia jerky when done right. Icelandic food is...uh...unique.

Pull up "Boy On A Dolphin," and check out Sophia coming out of the sea.
Then pull up http://www.imdb.com/search/name?birth_place=Iceland and see whom you're going to meet in Iceland.

Icelandic Death Metal?

One more thing.

Glue two BB's onto a board about a hand span apart.
Now think "motorboat."
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 19, 2015,
Ah I was there last summer on a pilgrimage, best 12 days of my life... However I didn't see one music store or manufacturer while I was there.
Any chance you will make it to Assisi? IMHO it one ups the Vatican in terms of Catholicness.

Have a great time!
Quote by dspellman
Depends.

Blonds or Brunettes?
Boobs or Blue Eyes?

Pasta or Hakarl (shark cured by burying it under the ground for 6-12 weeks, then hanging it to dry and ferment for four to five months). The latter tastes like ammonia jerky when done right. Icelandic food is...uh...unique.

Pull up "Boy On A Dolphin," and check out Sophia coming out of the sea.
Then pull up http://www.imdb.com/search/name?birth_place=Iceland and see whom you're going to meet in Iceland.

Icelandic Death Metal?

One more thing.

Glue two BB's onto a board about a hand span apart.
Now think "motorboat."

gotcha.

bumping iceland down a tick.

In a stunner, Italy has beaten Iceland in a first-round knockout!

(For me, too.)

Yes Icelands food is different, but it is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Chicks are smoking hot also which helps. And the lava fields are just amazing.

Iceland has more than death-metal, they have Bjork

But I'd take the Italy trip
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 20, 2015,
Lurve Bjork.

But I'm probably too weird for her.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lurve Bjork.

But I'm probably too weird for her.

She mentioned that.

I've shot a few models from Iceland. They'd show up "fresh-faced", freshly showered and all, and we'd lose them against a white wall until we got them into makeup.

They DO tan, though they have to spend time in the sun just to keep up with skin tone. But they can only spend so much time on a SoCal beach. There's apparently a tipping point at which they simply "poof" into a bit of greasy smoke and disappear.
Quote by dspellman
She mentioned that.

I've shot a few models from Iceland. They'd show up "fresh-faced", freshly showered and all, and we'd lose them against a white wall until we got them into makeup.

They DO tan, though they have to spend time in the sun just to keep up with skin tone. But they can only spend so much time on a SoCal beach. There's apparently a tipping point at which they simply "poof" into a bit of greasy smoke and disappear.

that's not a tipping point.

they ditched you.

sorry bro.
I want Bjork and Dr. John to cut an album together- They could call it Iceland Voodoo or something.

You know it would be cool just to hear him singing about Eyjafjallajökull in that gravelly voice of his...plus her delicate Vox.

The interplay of his classic New Orleans style piano playing and her taste in aggressive electronica ("Army of Me") and innovation (having a ReacTable player in her band).

Perfection!

Any Dr. John song other than Such a Night is wrong.

that is all.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Too funky, not enough parlor drinking style for me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
And I'm not a big Leon Russell fan! Respect, yes, but not a fan.

But when he and Elton John paired up to produce "The Union" album? Well, I think that was some of the best music from BOTH of them in many years.

When I lived in Italy one of my favorite things to do was go to a different trattoria or ristorante and try the house wine, since the bottles and labels are all similar but the wines are almost always from a family vineyard and are all different.

I probably "sampled" 200 different varieties in the 2 years I was there.

The beauty of this is it doesn't matter if it's Rome, Naples or La Maddalena, it works in any Italian city that I've visited.

I also learned that if one of the Carabinieri leave their Uzi sitting on your back seat because they got busy chatting with you that you should go back and give it back to them...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
When I lived in Italy one of my favorite things to do was go to a different trattoria or ristorante and try the house wine, since the bottles and labels are all similar but the wines are almost always from a family vineyard and are all different.

First time I was ever drunk in public was in a restaurant in Florence, with 3 other teenagers and our chaperone- a priest.

It was the second group of guys he had chaperoned in 2 years, and the owner recognized him. Not only did he essentially keep the wine flowing, he gave us palate cleansers (something clear as water, strong as an industrial solvent) and an orange after-dinner liquor. GRATIS!

We definitely wobbled our way back to the hotel...

Quote by Arby911

I also learned that if one of the Carabinieri leave their Uzi sitting on your back seat because they got busy chatting with you that you should go back and give it back to them...

I think it goes without saying that it is simply the gentlemanly thing to do.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 20, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
And I'm not a big Leon Russell fan! Respect, yes, but not a fan.

But when he and Elton John paired up to produce "The Union" album? Well, I think that was some of the best music from BOTH of them in many years.

Someday look up his discography. I have a feeling you'll be surprised at all the music he's played on that doesn't feature his whiney wah-pedal voice. Leon Russell, by the way, that Elton John idolized. The guy HE wanted to play like.