Page 1 of 2
Marshall, VOX, Orange...The best amps are quite likely from Great Britain.
But there are still a couple of emerging brands that are somewhat unknown.
I have yet to find any topics or threads on Victory Amps (UK).
I ordered the Victory V50 'the Earl' amp and will give it a full review once delivered.
I would like to know if there are others out there who can say anything about Victory or Blackstar etc.

Pictures and personal impressions are welcome.
Hooper drives the boat chief...
do they have to be made in Britain?

i would take splawn over any of marshall's current production.

i like my dual terror, and also like rockerverbs and thunderverbs.

i would have to say that if i was going to go for a AC15 or AC30, i would go for a hayseed (USA) i finally tried one (30watt) and it was amazing.

the US does it better
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 18, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do they have to be made in Britain?

i would take splawn over any of marshall's current production.

i like my dual terror, and also like rockerverbs and thunderverbs.

i would have to say that if i was going to go for a AC15 or AC30, i would go for a hayseed (USA) i finally tried one (30watt) and it was amazing.

the US does it better

Good point about the production. I suppose we're talking about original design.
I'm not too familiar with hayseed. Valvetech right?
I'll have to check them out.
Last edited by jackmiddlemiss at Mar 18, 2015,
It's gotta be one of the first JTM45's, the ones with 6550's and the tube PI.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the US does it better
Yes.

Also germans.

Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

the US does it better

They really do.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I was always under the impression that Great Britain made the best amps and the US the best guitars.
Have I been living a lie??? 😉
Quote by jackmiddlemiss
I was always under the impression that Great Britain made the best amps and the US the best guitars.
Have I been living a lie??? 😉

For the most part, yes.

imo, Marshalls and Vox's are overrated.

But seriously, it is just a matter of personal taste. Its just that pretty much all of the amps that I consider to be great amps happen to be American designs. Apart from Engl.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 18, 2015,
Even Eric Johnson can't make his mind up and uses a Marshall and a Fender.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I'd love a handwired Alnico Blue Vox AC30 if it didn't weigh 10 tonnes, cost tonnes and as reliable as a Bush CD player from Argos
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I think Blackstar is a great example of great price/value amp with nice clean tones and a yummy crunch gain channel. Good for high gain riffs and soloing and metal rythm. There still relatively new to the market compared to Marshall, VOX and Orange.
I'm a big fan of the tiny terror as well though. Good for a gain amp....no cleans really though :-(
Quote by jackmiddlemiss
I think Blackstar is a great example of great price/value amp with nice clean tones and a yummy crunch gain channel. Good for high gain riffs and soloing and metal rythm. There still relatively new to the market compared to Marshall, VOX and Orange.
I'm a big fan of the tiny terror as well though. Good for a gain amp....no cleans really though :-(

What? I've tried a few Blackstars and they all felt really flat and unresponsive even with a boost...

Maybe it works differently for you, but I never felt that with Blackstar.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Vox all the way.

I've never gelled with Marshall. Every one I've played I've absolutely hated... which really bums me out.

EDIT: with the exception of the one watt OFFSET JTM1 head. that thing was great,
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Mar 18, 2015,
One of my favorite all time amps was a Vox Super Beatle, that I really miss.

That's it for British amps.

I have a Metropoulis JTM-45 kit that I hand-wired.
But there's nothing British about it, really.

One of my favorite amps is a Ceriatone, but that's Indonesian, come to think of it.
Several Carvins, but they're all US built.
One old Mesa, non-brit.
Three Atomic Reactors (Chinese-built)
A Fender or two.
An old Weber kit
A couple of Epi Valve Juniors (what, Chinese, but one of them has a whole Mercury Magnetics kit innit, so probably 2/3rds US-made at this point).
Some non-Chinese Egnater bits from when Bruce was doing custom building.

And so on.

"Emerging brands" happen all the time. Hit up the NY or LA Amp Show and you'll find new and shiny tube amp builders every year (most of whom whiff out after five or six years).

What's special about a "Victory?"
Quote by dspellman

What's special about a "Victory?"

Rob Chapman is cramming them down everyone throats, ALMOST as bad as he is with his guitars.

Guthrie Govan plays them though, so they cant sound that bad.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
As far as amp colors for the most part I think in terms of Fender clean, Vox AC30 crunch, Marshall gain for rhythm and Mesa for lead

Those to me are the most iconic sounds, and working in paid studio production for the most part that is what is sought after.

There are more in-between manufacturers, and for example England has definitely produced a great share of amazing amps, I was in love with Cornford's products for example, but I understand they might've closed shop?

Anyway, a lot of iconic products such as Hiwatt, Laney, Orange...etc...

Then there are the modders that come for the US - Soldano, Egnater, Bogner, the list goes on...

I am somewhat sickened towards the move to middle Eastern production for a lot of these companies, especially new Marshall and Vox products are subpar compared to what was coming out a decade ago from their factories in England. Same thing seems to be going on with Peavey as well. I hear Laney has also made the move to China...so I don't know what the future holds. To me it looks like price of these products has remained high while quality has dropped, so it is becoming harder to find a good amp nowadays unless you look towards the $3k range and up.
Quote by Fisheth24
What? I've tried a few Blackstars and they all felt really flat and unresponsive even with a boost...

Maybe it works differently for you, but I never felt that with Blackstar.

I have to agree. Blackstar didn't do anything great. HT's blow. The series one is alright, although I think you can get better bang for your buck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm going to have to go with Marshall as they have the most varied selection. If I want a certain kind of amp, I know Marshall makes it or has made it in the past. I can't say the same thing for most other British companies or amp makers in general for that matter. But I would own an Orange before a Marshall or Vox.

I prefer American amps over British amps anyway.
JCM900 SL-X

The best sounding metal amp Marshall ever made. One channel, two master volumes, zero bullshit.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I love my Laney but in all honesty I live the Orange Thunderverb more, just waaayyyy too expensive.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I love my Laney but in all honesty I live the Orange Thunderverb more, just waaayyyy too expensive.

Love the Rockerverb 100 MK II. The Thunderverb 200 and Blackstar Series One 200 are also very nice/versatile ... and they can be used as bass amps in a pinch.
Funny how way back, in the 60s beatles bought american amps, fender to sound american, Jimi used Marshall just after to sound not american. I like Marshall, I'd love to have a full stack with a 50w head again some day.
Quote by Ippon
Love the Rockerverb 100 MK II. The Thunderverb 200 and Blackstar Series One 200 are also very nice/versatile ... and they can be used as bass amps in a pinch.

I wish they made a Rockerverb/Thunderverb hybrid. Because it seems The Rockerverb is one clean and one heavy crunch channel, then the Thunderverb is crunch channel and holyshitwhathappenedtomyface.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Marshall up to and including the 2203. After that maybe the 6100 (although unreliable) and the SL/X.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
not even a mention of Hiwatt. for shame.

Or WEM, or Burman
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I agree, the Blackstar HT series isn't amazing. It's good as a practice amp at home.
The Victory amps have received all-in-all good reviews (not just from Rob Chapman ;-) but it's got exactly what I need for gigging, without having to use stacks of pedals.
Like I originally said, I'll be happy to give it an extensive review on Ultimate Guitar.
The JCM 800 has always received top ratings, just like the VOX ACs. Apart from those two and the Orange Amps, I guess the rest belongs to America.
Last edited by jackmiddlemiss at Mar 19, 2015,
Dr-103
Sl-x
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
the best amps are made in canada.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Peters or Traynor, I like them both.

Ycv50blue ftw
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 19, 2015,
Victory amps makes some really great amps. I remember hearing Guthrie Govans demonstration of the whole line of amps and it was godly.

Was never a big fan of Blackstar or Marshall for that matter.

Laney makes some interesting products. I particularly like the variable power feature they have on some of their amps which they claim isnt an attenuator. sounds really good.

Hiwatts are in my opinion the best sounding clean/blues amps available, but they are expensive as hell.

In my opinion the best overall amp is without a doubt the Hughes and Kettner triamp mk3, which is German.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by jackmiddlemiss
Marshall, VOX, Orange...The best amps are quite likely from Great Britain.

I'm clearly in the British amp camp, but I disagree with that sentence, because it depends on what music you play and what sound you want. If you want Mesa Boogie-style sound, a Mesa does it better than British amps. If you want that Engl sound, Engl does it better than British amps. I'm not sure I'd choose Marshall if I played heavily down-tuned stuff.

Marshall just happens to make exactly the sound I want for my style. I also like Laney and Vox, more so than most non-British amps, but they're not suiting my style as well as Marshall. Actually I'm usually one who goes for underdogs, but it turned out that the answer to all my amp questions is Marshall.

But that's in no way saying "the best amps are from GB". It's just that my favourite amps are from there.

Some American-made Marshall alternatives have been suggested on this forum, sadly I never could try them anywhere, I live in Germany and most amps in the shops are British and German brands.

Another thing is that if you want to do a similar sound to the band you like, chances are great they're using Marshalls, and a Marshall (or clone) may likely be best to get that sound.
Quote by Knarrenheino
I'm clearly in the British amp camp, but I disagree with that sentence, because it depends on what music you play and what sound you want. If you want Mesa Boogie-style sound, a Mesa does it better than British amps. If you want that Engl sound, Engl does it better than British amps. I'm not sure I'd choose Marshall if I played heavily down-tuned stuff.

Marshall just happens to make exactly the sound I want for my style. I also like Laney and Vox, more so than most non-British amps, but they're not suiting my style as well as Marshall. Actually I'm usually one who goes for underdogs, but it turned out that the answer to all my amp questions is Marshall.

But that's in no way saying "the best amps are from GB". It's just that my favourite amps are from there.

Some American-made Marshall alternatives have been suggested on this forum, sadly I never could try them anywhere, I live in Germany and most amps in the shops are British and German brands.

Another thing is that if you want to do a similar sound to the band you like, chances are great they're using Marshalls, and a Marshall (or clone) may likely be best to get that sound.

This
Marshalls (the JCM800 vertical input 2203 in particular) are my favorite amp sounds

Doesn't mean others aren't just as good, or better for a particular genre, or even the same Genre.

I play thrash.
I think Ride the Lightning has one of the best rhythm tones I've ever heard in an album.
Doesn't mean Master of Puppets isn't a sick tone. But it can't be gotten with a british amp.
For that, you need to go Mesa.
And Mesa does that tone better than any marshall/splawn/orange/whatever
"Ride..." has Marshall on one channel and ADA MP-1 on the other if not mistaken, I think on "Master..." james actually tracked through Marshall, Kirk used Mesa for leads. Not 100% sure but I remember reading Michael Wagener's notes and I think that's what it was.
Quote by diabolical
"Ride..." has Marshall on one channel and ADA MP-1 on the other if not mistaken, I think on "Master..." james actually tracked through Marshall, Kirk used Mesa for leads. Not 100% sure but I remember reading Michael Wagener's notes and I think that's what it was.

Ride was mostly Marshall
James also started using EMGs on Ride because he was tired of using a Rat to boost it

Master of Puppets, James went and bought himself and Kirk a Mark II C+
Kirk's leads very well may have been a Marshall.
Never payed much attention to Kirk's tone to be honest.
I'm more of a rhythm guitarist
James' solo in MOP was definitely american though.
Page 1 of 2