I just recently decided to go the Fractal Axe FX 2 route for the great sound and ease of use running a great mix to FOH, but still want to be able to run it through a power amp and utilize my cab as a stereo cab as well as mono at home.

I have a Peavey 5150 Slant Cab 4x12 (with 4 16 ohm speakers) that is currently wired to one 1/4" to run 16 ohm mono.

I purchased a backplate that I want to wire up the ability to have a left 8 ohm jack, a right 8 ohm jack, and a single mono 16 ohm jack.

The plate that I purchased has 4 wires coming off of a printed board that are labeled........

L- L+ R- R+

I assume that top left speaker terminal I put L-, bottom left I put the L+, top right I put R-, and bottom right I put R+......but I am not certain that this is correct, and if it is how I link the other speakers together......

I am attaching a picture that I worked up as a blank template. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

J.
Attachments:
4 x 12 Speaker Wiring Diagram plate - Copy.png
Link two left hand speakers in parallel + to +, - to -
Linking two 16 Ohm speakers in parallel will make the equivalent of one 8 Ohm speaker.

If you link them in parallel but + to - and - to + they will still work but will be out of phase. I don't know if this would be good or bad, but I wouldn't do it that way myself. I might work better in a sealed cabinet but I am only speculating.

Ditto the right hand speakers.

From the plate the L+ to the + of one of the the left hand speaker pair then L- to the -

Ditto right hand side.

Job's a good'n
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 18, 2015,
Quote by e51v50h
I just recently decided to go the Fractal Axe FX 2 route for the great sound and ease of use running a great mix to FOH, but still want to be able to run it through a power amp and utilize my cab as a stereo cab as well as mono at home.

Just be aware that what you hear from FOH is not going to be what you hear from a 4x12.
If you work up your presets on that 4x12, you're going to be a little crazy when you hear what you get from the PA.
Thanx a million John Sims!!

This is one of those things where i would normally just get a stereo cab and be done with it but i really like the cab i got, and the older I get the less heavy stuff the better!! Haha.

dspellman......I always setup one set of patches for home use and then usually during sound checks i will take those presets and copy them to a sepearate bank and tweak them for the FOH mix. Yeah.....they never work both ways....well they can, but never sound good for both in my experiences. thank you for the heads up.......
Quote by e51v50h

dspellman......I always setup one set of patches for home use and then usually during sound checks i will take those presets and copy them to a sepearate bank and tweak them for the FOH mix. Yeah.....they never work both ways....well they can, but never sound good for both in my experiences. thank you for the heads up.......

I tried tweaking patches during a sound check, but that really wasted a lot of time (and global EQ never seemed to do it) that the sound guys weren't willing to allow. I eventually switched to full-range speakers even for home use.
I have never thought to try that approach......I may have to give that a go. Thanx for the suggestion.