I recently got a THR10C and I love it. After trialling both the THR10 and the THR10C I opted for the C despite knowing that I'd probably want to put a drive pedal in front of it for a bit of a boost and some slightly higher gain sounds when needed.

I’m all about simplicity, and the neater and smaller the better as it needs to go in the living room (you can probably see why I opted for a THR). I already want to pick up a Ditto to fiddle around and practice with, so was wondering if people had any recommendations for a mini pedal to sit alongside which could get some good Marshall style classic rock drive tones out of my THR.

Right now I’m thinking Xotic SL Drive might be the best candidate, or perhaps waiting for the upcoming tubescreamer mini. Either way I get a bit confused with the differences between boost, drive and overdrive and products such as the MXR micro amp… so many pedals, which type do I need?

There’s a local shop (I live in Stockholm) with a decent stock which will hopefully let me try some match ups but could do with some advice to narrow things down before I go and ask to try everything.

Cheers!
There are a few Marshall sim drive pedals in the market. One I can think of is Wampler's Plexi Drive/Deluxe. It's a bit more $$$ then the Xotic SL Drive though.

If you want uber budget, the EHX Soul Food might get you want you want. Has a nice mid-hump.
Quote by jecooper86
I recently got a THR10C and I love it. After trialling both the THR10 and the THR10C I opted for the C despite knowing that I'd probably want to put a drive pedal in front of it for a bit of a boost and some slightly higher gain sounds when needed.

I’m all about simplicity, and the neater and smaller the better as it needs to go in the living room (you can probably see why I opted for a THR). I already want to pick up a Ditto to fiddle around and practice with, so was wondering if people had any recommendations for a mini pedal to sit alongside which could get some good Marshall style classic rock drive tones out of my THR.

Right now I’m thinking Xotic SL Drive might be the best candidate, or perhaps waiting for the upcoming tubescreamer mini. Either way I get a bit confused with the differences between boost, drive and overdrive and products such as the MXR micro amp… so many pedals, which type do I need?

There’s a local shop (I live in Stockholm) with a decent stock which will hopefully let me try some match ups but could do with some advice to narrow things down before I go and ask to try everything.

Cheers!

That's because a lot of people use them as interchangeable terms for the most part (hence the confusion). Mind you when somebody says something like a 'clean boost' what they're implying is they want a pedal that is good for boosting volume and not distortion. Typically for lead breaks etc... so something like a Katana boost or even the Micro Amp.

Another form of 'boosting' is when people use something like an overdrive pedal in front of the amp (with the pedal level maxed out and the gain to taste) to increase the distortion and shape the tone a bit.

When somebody asks for a 'drive' or 'OD' they're mostly asking for a pedal that provides a bit more gain compared to something like a clean boost. Generally people want 'drive' pedals for lower gain sounds and rock tones. Also good for lead playing. So I would say things like the SD-1 or TS-9 fits there.

When somebody is asking for a "distortion" a lot of the time that implies a pedal that has tends to have a heavier sound compared to an overdrive or clean boost. Something like a DS-1 or a Metal Muff is probably what most people would consider a distortion.

They're all essentially the same thing though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 18, 2015,