Page 1 of 2
I passed my driving test about 4 years ago now but haven't driven since, mainly due to being at university in a city where you can comfortably get by without public transport. But is it viable to live with no car for your entire life?

Public transport is pretty awful and to get to a lot of places, and chose true freedom of where to live, I'm finding myself convinced I need a car to get the most out of my life. Having to apply for jobs considering stuff like how many buses or trains you'll need to catch to get somewhere is tiring, and it seems super limiting to live like that for your entire life.

What do you think?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
yes because my gf just got a car so I am all set
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Probably not. Even if the transport system is efficient.

There are plenty of places you'll need to go that aren't reachable via public transport. And you simply cannot carry as many things without your own vehicle.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by steve_muse
yes because my gf just got a car so I am all set

What if she breaks up with you

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
You need a car to get anywhere around here. Plus I'd rather not be confined to one town my whole life.
Then I'll scratch 'er car
Quote by ErikLensherr

My car has been busted for half a year now so yes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It really depends on where you live and work. If you live in London or Paris a car is a liability and getting around is easier without. In LA it is just impossible without a car. I personally love to drive so no car is not an option for me. Several college students are exploring this idea though and if you can walk to work a car may be unnecessary.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 18, 2015,
Don't even have a license myself, but I get around just fine. It really depends on what you want to do. I personally prefer the train for longer trips and take the bike for pretty much everything that's within 25 km or so away. Plus I don't have that many places I need to be and rarely need to take much with me.
All that money I'm saving on insurance and gas and having to pay for driving lessons and a license

But I would agree that having a car gives you a lot of mobility.
I could, but I'd rather not. Public transport here is shite lately.
Depends on where you live. Some parts of the US are laid out in a way where it's nearly necessitated because things are just so far apart, and the population isn't large enough for the local tax to facilitate a public transport system that's worth while.

The more populate cities, yeah. It's absolutely possible. I have a friend who's Chicago who sold his and his wife's car when they got there because it got too expensive to park them, and they never used them.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Don't even have a license myself, but I get around just fine. It really depends on what you want to do. I personally prefer the train for longer trips and take the bike for pretty much everything that's within 25 km or so away. Plus I don't have that many places I need to be and rarely need to take much with me.
All that money I'm saving on insurance and gas and having to pay for driving lessons and a license

But I would agree that having a car gives you a lot of mobility.

When I was at uni I was like this. Walked to most places, biked if I cba to walk. bussed if I was going shopping or something, train for trips around the country and back home. It was cool but you are at the mercy of the often unreliable public transport system and if you wanna go somewhere that's multiple buses away it's horribly annoying. Would definitely not wanna travel and change on buses every day given how held up they can be.

Most places in the U.S., yeah you need a car. San Francisco public transportation is okay though.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I live in a big city, so yes I can.

having a car here seems like a pain in the ass, with insurance and parking and gas prices and congestion charge and such. people who drive regularly here seem too only do so either because they live in the middle of nowhere so public transport is difficult or they treat their car as a kind of status symbol and to make them feel "independent".

for everyone else, it just sits at home most of the time and only really gets used for a big shopping trip or something.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
You can get through life without a car as long as you don't have to go to the middle of nowhere or whatever. Having a car makes things a lot easier though, since using public transport often means waiting around/walking to a stop or station.

Of course, you could always just get a motorbike. As long as you don't need to lug a lot of stuff around.
I have nothing important to say
Me personally, nah i couldn't.

I could get to both of my current jobs easily without public transportation, it would make really no impact on my financial life, unless i was to get a different job eventually. My personal life though, if i wanted to hang out with people they'd have to come pick me up, or if i was interested in a girl it's kind of awkward cause i can't offer to take them places, and i couldn't get anywhere out of city or state unless someone drove me. I couldn't live with myself having to depend on people like that. That's just not right to me.
Sail upon the open skies
Nope.

My car was stolen and found wrecked and it's impossible getting around. I live over an hour away from my school and I had to drop those classes because the public transport here is terrible. Plus I would have never made it in time for my first class which started at 7am. And I like going out and being in control over where I go instead of relying on schedules.
STಠ_ಠ
I managed just fine through uni without a car, but that's because I went somewhere where everything is (just about) within walking distance. Since I started my job I've had a car and it'd be a massive pain getting to and from work without it. Plus it would make it so hard and irritating to go back to my hometown to visit my familyand schoolfriends I'd probably never do it.

On top of that, I quite like driving anyway.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
When I was at uni I was like this. Walked to most places, biked if I cba to walk. bussed if I was going shopping or something, train for trips around the country and back home. It was cool but you are at the mercy of the often unreliable public transport system and if you wanna go somewhere that's multiple buses away it's horribly annoying. Would definitely not wanna travel and change on buses every day given how held up they can be.

I should probably add that I can walk to work.
But if I lived farther away I would still use my bike if it was within say 20 km.

In general I like cycling/walking and I don't like the thought of having to control a big, heavy chunk of metal. And I don't like paying a shit ton of money just to have a car for the few times a month/year I might use it.

I also like using the trains (despite the delays, which don't really bother me most of the time) because it allows me to just sit about and read. I also just like trains
I personally couldn't right now. Work is like 12 miles away with a huge hill in between and any sort of grocery story is 15+ miles away with huge hills in between. Without the hills, biking might be an option, but even then only between like April and October.

Living in a city makes that much more feasible, but even then I'd still own a vehicle because I'd feel too restricted without.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Mar 18, 2015,
EDIT: ^How are your grocery stores 15 miles away? Where do you live? Atop K7?

If you live in a city, you can get away with it probably. I could be fine here even though public transportation is notoriously bad. However, I do have a car and I play gigs, so I often need to drive gear around town.

I used to live in Minneapolis without a car. Public transportation there was great. I lived a block from the #16 bus line that ran from downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul and directly through my university's campus. There was also a free shuttle that went from the Minneapolis campus to the St. Paul campus. There was also a light rail from downtown Minneapolis south to the Mall of America and then the airport. Now, they've extended the light rail to downtown St. Paul. That was a pretty cool city in which to live.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 18, 2015,
Quote by theguitarist
I live in a big city, so yes I can.

having a car here seems like a pain in the ass, with insurance and parking and gas prices and congestion charge and such. people who drive regularly here seem too only do so either because they live in the middle of nowhere so public transport is difficult or they treat their car as a kind of status symbol and to make them feel "independent".

for everyone else, it just sits at home most of the time and only really gets used for a big shopping trip or something.

They're at like an all time low now m8
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by snipelfritz
EDIT: ^How are your grocery stores 15 miles away? Where do you live? Atop K7?

there are a lot of places not close to grocery stores lol, not just on mountains

For example, the rural midwest.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by angusfan16
Me personally, nah i couldn't.

I could get to both of my current jobs easily without public transportation, it would make really no impact on my financial life, unless i was to get a different job eventually. My personal life though, if i wanted to hang out with people they'd have to come pick me up, or if i was interested in a girl it's kind of awkward cause i can't offer to take them places, and i couldn't get anywhere out of city or state unless someone drove me. I couldn't live with myself having to depend on people like that. That's just not right to America

Fixed
Quote by ErikLensherr

You can live in a city without a car; just hire one when you need it to get somewhere public transport don't go, or need to move something. Or get lots of friends with cars, Or marry someone with a car. Or get a bike.
Quote by steve_muse
They're at like an all time low now m8

well I meant more the cost against mpg.

like If I'm going to drive, I'll need some flashy car with shit mpg to enhance the cred I am showing by driving around in the city.

and I'm sure the average fill up cost for a week of journeys in town is still more than it costs for a pass covering the same amount of public transport. though london's public transport is pretty great apparently, pretty much everywhere is covered and wait times are short, so I'm sure I'm taking it for granted.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
probably but having a car is sweet

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by theguitarist
well I meant more the cost against mpg.

like If I'm going to drive, I'll need some flashy car with shit mpg to enhance the cred I am showing by driving around in the city.

and I'm sure the average fill up cost for a week of journeys in town is still more than it costs for a pass covering the same amount of public transport. though london's public transport is pretty great apparently, pretty much everywhere is covered and wait times are short, so I'm sure I'm taking it for granted.

yea no I dig public transport, it's always been good to me, and yea it'll always be much less expensive and ecofriendly
Quote by ErikLensherr

Nope. Last semester when I was going to school, it was a 15-20 minute drive to get there. I had to take the bus when I was younger and it took 2 and a half hours to get there.

My job is only about a 10 minute walk away, but I make cash, and I don't really feel like walking home past midnight with $150 in my pocket.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
in europe probably in north america no in other continents dunno move

im north america and ya i do
get a motorcycle.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I couldn't at the moment. I work in the next town over which is a 30 minute drive from where I live. I also regularly need to haul my guitar equipment around.
Nope. School is 23 miles away, the nearest store is 3 miles away, there is little to no public transportation, and many areas have no side walks.

This whole area is "No car? **** you."
Quote by snipelfritz

I used to live in Minneapolis without a car. Public transportation there was great.
Lol, you should visit some other cities not in the midwest. The light rail is a joke. They got rid of the much faster express bus route, and replaced it with a much slower, more expensive and burdensome(it makes car and bus traffic slower all along its route now with all its crossings) mode of transit. It just seems like they built it for the aesthetic, not functionality.

Regardless of that, I could easily live without a car, but I got by in small towns without one too. I really don't want to, however. Pretty sure most people could get by without one, but life would be pretty difficult. Cars are very efficient at moving people and stuff, at least in North America.
Quote by steve_muse
yea it'll always be much less expensive and ecofriendly
Not true at all. There are next to no rails anywhere in the world that don't operate at a loss (two in Japan have had years where they broke out of the red), and buses typically are less fuel efficient than cars per person because average ridership is so low, and fuel economy of buses is also low (even hybrids).

Doing away with things like zoning that requires big parking lots, wide streets for parking, free/low/inefficient parking rates, would all do more to increase the efficiency of buses (assuming more private bus services were allowed), and reduce driving around or to places, thereby reducing overall emissions. But, who would want to do that? You can't shame anyone for not living the right way then.
you can depending on where you live.

not having my license has severely impeded me, but i was living in rural NW Jersey up until recently. public transit's still shit here, but my family is willing to cart me around to work for now.

have to start the process of getting my license soon actually. not looking forward to it. i hate driving.

from what i've heard, Portland is actually a great place to live for someone who doesn't drive. great public transit. been thinking about moving there if i ever have some kind of financial stability in my life.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
absolutely ****ing not

up until i graduated high school, sure. but once i started college it was just awful having to commute around on bus. the US is just not made with a public transit in mind. i got my car when i was 19 and never looked back (thats considered old for some)
pinga
I'm not sure... due to a recent medical issue which happened a few weeks back, I can't legally drive for a year.

I've become quite dependent on my car, and this is an annoying setback for me; I can't get to work without public transport, and I can no longer drive my friends around when we hang out. I can no longer just get up and run errands when I feel like it, I have to plan it according my public transport's schedule; and even then there's no guarantee that the buses even show up on time.

**** this man. At least I'll save from not spending on gas
Page 1 of 2