Hey UG,

For seemingly no reason at all my strat started to hum excessively. I don't know exactly when this started nothing really HAPPENED to the guitar I just played it like I normally do.

The hum continues even when I switch to a stacked humbucker or the fourth position (neck and middle) which are supposed to be hum canceling.

I've checked the ground wires (and all of the other wires for that matter) are connected, the soldering job on the is solid (nice shiny bits of solder, all wires wound around connections).

What can be the problem?

Thanks
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Wires looking good is not a strong indication that they are still working properly. You should check continuity on all the grounds and use an alligator clip with the guitar plugged in to check for trouble areas. Especially check that the wire to the claw has not become severed or wrapped around a trem spring or otherwise compromised.

Also try cleaning pots and jacks, but if the noise is consistent then it is probably still a ground issue.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Unlikely, but you could lift one end just to make sure. Did you check the connections and move the wires around a bit, to make sure they weren't just intermittent?

Did you check that the ground is genuinely grounded? Maybe a hot connection is touching a ground or the shielding somewhere? Did the connection to the trem claw break? (check continuity between the star ground and the claw itself, then the strings and the claw, not just the two solder globs).

Check the cable and the amp?
Why do you say it's unlikely? And how do you mean "lift one end"? Claw ground Is continuous all the way.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
You're not supposed to get continuity across a capacitor, so your test is actually an indicator that it's working fine. It would be unlikely that a cap would fail and further unlikely that it would cause noise if it did, and just totally bonkers that it would fail in such a way that would cause noise but still work as a tone control. Usually your tone knob would just stop working if the cap failed. So I don't see any reason to suspect it.

By lift one end I mean just clip one leg of the cap to remove it from the circuit. If the noise is gone you should replace the cap. If it's not, just re-solder the leg. I wouldn't bother though, it's clearly not the issue.
try the input jack wires and see if they are in reverse. It's something even I've done before.

Also ..
copper shielding inside the guitar and a power bar with RFI and EMI reduction help big time. The power bar especially if you live in an apartment or an older house. I remember the wiring was solid on my friends washburn he brought over and long story short the walls of my place were the issue.
Try plugging in to a different circuit in the house. Make sure its a different circuit, not just a different receptacle. There may be something plugged in that your amp just isn't filtering or liking. Also, stay away from RFI and EMI stuff - like flourescent light fixtures/ballasts, computer monitors, etc.

Have you tried another guitar? Amps buzz too.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...