Hi guys
got me new guitar only problem is its got gold plated hardware which was not in the listing but its here now.Question is how do i remove the old plating it also has a Bigsby style vibrato (Gold) thanks
Uh... why don't you just return it or sell it to somebody else and then buy a proper Bigsby in the color you want? Kind of a waste to take the plating off...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You're not going to be able to effectively remove the gold plating. You'll need to replace all the hardware if you want a different color.

It won't come off eventually. I mean, some will wear off but it's not going to wear evenly and it's not all going to come off to the point where it looks like nickel. Chemically stripping all the parts would be a lot of work and would probably look terrible (and maybe not even function properly) when you were done.

Maybe you can find someone with chrome/nickel hardware to trade with.
will it come off in time if it stays gold coloured ill leave it on just dont want half gold half nickel
Most of the gold plating on guitars is extremely thin (read "cheap").

It comes off for two reasons. One, it wears off, and two, it flakes off due to corrosion of the metal underneath the gold plating.

Wear will be evident on the corners of the pickups where your pick hits it, and sometimes on the top of the bridge and tailpiece.

Corrosion happens when you allow sweat (for example) to enter through micro pinholes in the plating, where it attacks the nickel and copper beneath. When copper produces crystals, it actually swells and pushes whatever's over it off. One major contributor to corrosion is the outgassing of celluloid (pickguards, switch handles, nitrocellulose paint jobs), which produces nitric acid and sulfuric acid fumes as it disintegrates.

Several ways to reduce wear issues. One, wax your guitar (a good carnauba wax is best) regularly. The wax will wear first, saving the gold. It will also fill those microholes, helping to prevent sweat from hitting the metals beneath. Note that gold itself doesn't corrode. Two, find ways to prevent your CASE from wearing off the gold plating. That fancy "shroud" that comes with some cases was originally designed and added for that purpose. Most people assume they're simply extra fluff and cut them out. Mistake.

Saving your guitar from corrosion can be accomplished a couple of ways. One, clean it regularly (wipe it down) and wax it. Two, keep your guitar in its case, not out on a stand or on a wall hanger. Three, toss a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) in the case with a guitar. You can read about what they do and why they're used at theruststore.com (where you can also buy them). Change them out once a year.

And finally, you can get all this stuff re-polished and re-plated down the line. OR you can pull it off the guitar and get it plated to a thicker spec right off the bat. I have a friend who plates surgical instruments. About 10 years ago, we pulled all the hardware off a guitar I'd just picked up and he plated it (except for some random screws, etc.) at the same time he was doing some instruments. That stuff doesn't even HINT that it's going to wear. He just howled at the coating thickness that was on the pickup covers originally. It's really REALLY thin and cheap.
another way to prevent oxidization graphtech has it's some pre-play spray you put on your hands called chops preplay. It's good for 200 uses.
http://graphtech.com/products/brands/chops-preplay

I'd have fun with worn down hardware and powder coat it to a custom color. Powder coating is used in the automotive world and you can get practically any color. Red, green...blue. Of Course chrome, nickle and gold but just an idea. The kit is around 200$ and you spray this dry powder on and bake it in the oven on 400 degrees. I've been meaning to get one to try.
I rather like the look of partially worn gold coating. It makes the guitar look as if it's payed it's dues.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.