Hi Guys

i have a tubemeister 18 from hughes and kettner its a great amp and ive had it for over a year now. However i've got the urge to sell it lately because i cant get accustom to the gain channel, its too modern for my taste, however i love its clean channel.

Would a replacement in its stock tubes make a difference to the amps warmth and gain?

if not any suitable alternatives for more AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd kinda sound?

I got offered a trade for a VHT Lead 20 combo? any good?
a tweaker 15 watt head pretty much nails the tones you're after.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nah, the TM gain sucks and you can't fix it with tubes.

The Krank 1980 JR is a great amp and does the HR marshall tone very well and it has a really nice clean channel. Pretty much kills the TM on every front. But you can also look at the Revolution Amps Rival XX (this is basically the Krank 1980 Jr rebranded
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 on the Tweaker
Look up Traynor as well - YCV50 or 40 would do these sounds really well and it is more vintage sounding.

The HK tubes in this amp are used for warming up the solid state sound so a change in tube wouldn't do much.
Changing to JJ's or Mullards will warm up the sound from the Chinese tubes, but not give you what you're looking for. If the modern voicing isn't for you, you're better off getting a new amp. I think the TM18 has a great Hi-Fi sound, but it's not for everyone.
Quote by diabolical
+1 on the Tweaker
Look up Traynor as well - YCV50 or 40 would do these sounds really well and it is more vintage sounding.

The HK tubes in this amp are used for warming up the solid state sound so a change in tube wouldn't do much.

They have the YCV20 too, which I believe is 15 watts. It's a great amp, I have a friend that owns one.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
i have the 50 and it kills. (older blue model)

it's master volume is very good.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.