After posting a thread on how to get a "br00tz" metal tone out of my amp and receiving all the feedback on how I have the wrong amp, I am now looking to get a neew amp. I need suggestions. Nothing over $200
You were given a few good suggestions in that thread
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Positive Grid makes excellent amp simulators, all you would need is an interface to connect your guitar to the device. If you don't think excellent tone can be achieved with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMNVWq21A4

All of those Conquering Dystopia videos on his channel are recorded using Positive Grid's amp sim, to my knowledge.

EDIT: Another awesome example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2dmvOomei0
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
$225 for a VK. That's decent. Might be $50+ shipping though (dunno if you're in Texas). And TBH, that is about as good as you might get for your price range, maybe put beside a Peavey VYPYR Tube 60.

Well actually, if you get a VK, you'll need a speaker swap for sure and something to take out the VK's inherent harsh heavy clipping. I recommend EHX's The Analogizer. So that's ~$130 extra.
Quote by Carrot
You were given a few good suggestions in that thread
+1

Also, you might just want to look into getting something like a used Roland Cube (I have a 20X, good for metal) until you save up for a better amp after that. I'm not sure how the Cube compares to your Randall though
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 19, 2015,
Get a Vypir 30. That's the one with the 12 inch speaker. Or a guitar link and some VST off the internet. Shouldn't be more that about 20-50USD.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
the valveking never did brootz for me. even with the dummy jack, jumper in the effects loop, boost, jj preamp tubes, MXR 10 Band in the loop, etc. and at the time it was going into a mesa rec os cab.

i think spend a few more bucks and look for a VYPYR tube 60.

but you won't find anything miraculous with your budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by metalbeast16
Nothing over $200

Now you have the wrong budget.

Truth is, "amp" may be the wrong way to start this.

Separate the preamp section from the power amp section and the speaker cabinet.

The preamp section does the most work in translating what your fingers are doing on your guitar to the sound you're looking for. The preamp can be a computer running software, a Pod/Axe/Kemper/11R/whatever running firmware, an all-tube Carvin Quad-X, an all-tube Mesa Triaxis or the front end on any good combo amp or head. A decent Pod XT or HD (or the like) and some time spent learning it may be what you really need.

Why *separate* it from the power amp section and the speaker cabinet? Because you can use the preamp with headphones, recording monitors, full-range powered speakers, an all-tube power amp, a solid state power amp and power levels from headphone power to 5W to 1500W and up, and the sound will be pretty much the same thing (unless you decide you really must overdrive power tubes, but that's not a big thing in metal).

The speaker cabinet can be anything that will support the power that the power amp is puttin'out. But if you're not using full range flat response speaker cabinets, it's going to color the sound of your rig, depending on the frequency response of the speakers you're using in it, whether it's open back or closed, the size of the interior space, the number of speakers you have inside the cabinet. In addition, that speaker cabinet's output is going to be colored by the room you're in, by acoustic and/or mechanical coupling, by the furniture and/or people in that room, by the size of the room, and so on.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the valveking never did brootz for me. even with the dummy jack, jumper in the effects loop, boost, jj preamp tubes, MXR 10 Band in the loop, etc. and at the time it was going into a mesa rec os cab.

You really have to coax it out of the amp. I leave the boost gain switch off, boosted with the Analogizer and cutting the harsh clipping with it as well. I imagine the harsh clipping could be more efficiently cut with (an) the Analogizer in the FX loop, but I would have to have two of the pedals (one for preamp, another in the loop).

But yeah, boosting your budget would help you more, tS
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I ran the same as trashed on the VK head. except mine was into a OS Zilla cab with V30's.
Did okay but not what I wanted.
Went from that to a JCA50 h which worked better.

Then from that to the Powerball, (but thats obvs out of budget)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Will Lane
You really have to coax it out of the amp. I leave the boost gain switch off, boosted with the Analogizer and cutting the harsh clipping with it as well. I imagine the harsh clipping could be more efficiently cut with (an) the Analogizer in the FX loop, but I would have to have two of the pedals (one for preamp, another in the loop).

But yeah, boosting your budget would help you more, tS

I had no problem getting a heavy tone out of the VK I played

But I'm also a heavy handed picker, and picking harder helps make things heavier.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

as much of a fan of the VK as i am i gotta agree. you have to really go out of your way to get any kind of real "br00tz" out of it. the combo defintely doesn't as it has an open back. while fine for less extreme metal genres it just isn't great for current extreme metal tones. hair metal, 70s - early 80s metal and even some thrash (definitely need an overdrive for this)yes anything more not the best choice.