Ok, the title says it all, I'm putting together a home recording studio and €1,200 is the maximum I can spend (money will be very tight after this).

I already have; ; 1 Shure Sm57, 1 Shure Sm58, mic stand, guitar/bass equipment etc, and a high spec computer with no sound recording software yet (but I want to buy Reason Essentials if I can). As for sound dampening foam etc, I should be getting the surplus from my local YMCA space that I volunteer at, which should do my room.

What I'll be recording ; Music. I will be recording mostly acoustic guitar and vocals, but I will need a midi keyboard controller too.
It would be nice to have a soundcard that has two ports at least for recording simultaneously for youtube acoustic sessions.

What I (think) I need ;
sound card (thoughts on Propellerhead Balance?)
vocal/acoustic guitar mic, condenser (I'm a low tenor)
Midi keyboard
Monitors/monitoring headphones

If i'm missing anything please comment, cos I covered all the recording gear I have.

*note* I don't need to record drums, as I have access to a drum booth with recording equipment at a place I volunteer at, so midi drums are fine for me as placeholders.
Also sorry for so many questions, i thought it'd be better to just make one thread.
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Since you're in Ireland, I'll use Thomann as a reference for prices and links

My first thought for the interface is the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 . 2 mic/instrument ins, 4 outs and phantom power.

For a large diaphragm condenser, I'd say either the RODE NT1-A or a SE Electronics X1.
Both are good for vocals and guitars and are good value.
Here's an X1 vocal bundle with a reflection filter

I don't know how many keys you'd want on the keyboard, But if you're okay with 49, you could get an M-Audio Oxygen 49 MK4 . Good value, lots of midi functions and pads available.

My choice for headphones would be the Audio Technica ATH M50Xs . They're very highly regarded, affordable and I can vouch from personal experience that they sound good.

Speakers: I have a pair of M-Audio BX8s, but most people suggest KRK RoKits. Here's a deal with a pair of floor stands included .

Overall, this setup would cost €1050 with free shipping from Thomann and should last you for a long time and be versatile enough for pretty much anything you do right now

@CorrosionMedia thanks very much for the detailed reply, thats great

The midi keyboard you've suggested seems fine, 49 keys should be plenty for the level at which I'll be able to play, and I trust m-audio's stuff to be decent.

Considering that would leave me with some spare change (at new prices), would I be better off putting some extra money into a better mic? I've used the Rode Nt1a before and thought that it was decent, but I used an AKG c214 before and really noticed where the extra money went..
Would you reckon I'd be better off spending the 150 I'd be saving in the overall budget, plus a little bit more to get something along the lines of an AKG C214, or would you reckon that I wouldn't notice any difference at "home studio for demos" level?

Again, thanks for your detailed reply
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Quote by Hunter2081
@CorrosionMedia thanks very much for the detailed reply, thats great

No problem!
Quote by Hunter2081

Would you reckon I'd be better off spending the 150 I'd be saving in the overall budget, plus a little bit more to get something along the lines of an AKG C214, or would you reckon that I wouldn't notice any difference at "home studio for demos" level?

I think personally, I'd prefer to spend that cash on other stuff like cables and more acoustic treatment or even putting it towards more guitar gear, but that's just me.
I think once you get to the level where a really decent mic will be an advantage, you'd be actually recording the tracks in a professional studio and you'd be using their gear and mics.

Bear in mind that Thomann - since it's in Germany - will send you european power cables with every thing, so you'll need to either supply your own kettle leads or buy some locally (think Amazon, eBay or pretty much any electronics store).
Quote by Hunter2081

Again, thanks for your detailed reply

Again, no problem!
Thats fair enough @CorrosionMedia , you've given me plenty of food for thought!
*spends the night researching*

As for the european sockets, yeah I'm used to that having ordered from them a few times, not too much of a problem
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Only thing I wanted to add is that I agree with getting the JBL LSR or the Yamaha HS monitors instead of the KRK Rokits. KRK Rokits G1 and G2 sounded incredibly boxy, and the new G3 series while not sounding as boxy, add waaay to much bass to be monitors and are much closer to consumer audio speakers than their JBL and Yamaha brethren. The Mackie MR series are also fantastic monitors.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Also different mics are more chosen because they do something. Have a vocal, but lacks some brightness, try a brighter mic. Only going to record sounds with characteristics in the low, well perhaps it adds something cool, perhaps it does nothing that top end, since there is hardly any recorded.

In short, that stuff as is a lot of stuff in general with music, is more of a go by go basis from experience, and just, well 'adventure' I guess.

I would say definitely go with an interface first, and an extra cable as well. If you serious about mixing, you might want a 2nd coffee machine for 40 bucks in your own room #thingsthatactuallymatter

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 20, 2015,
Quote by xxdarrenxx

I would say definitely go with an interface first, and an extra cable as well. If you serious about mixing, you might want a 2nd coffee machine for 40 bucks in your own room #thingsthatactuallymatter

There's been a lot of great insight in here, but this one made me laugh

Cables are not too much of a worry for me, former dj and a singer/songwriter for years, what I lack in sense, I make up for in cables :P

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, the nudge in the right direction has really sped up my research
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Don't get Rokits. Adams or Yamahas would be way better.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by jaspervdv
hmmm, I would do everything CorrosionMedia said, except the rokits.
Those have a incredible colored sound.
I would pick a JBL LSR305 and or a Yamaha hs5 instead

I'm with this guy. The BX8s are much better option , Presonus Eris as well.

I'll throw another mic suggestion: AT4040

Great natural sounding condenser, no hype, works well on almost any vocalist.
Alternative would be to find local store that let's you test mics, that way you can find one that complements your voice.

I wouldn't go with Reason for software. Love Studio one and although I've used pretty much everything else I find the workflow best in this one. It also comes bundled on presonus audio cards so you can go that route.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 24, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
I'm with this guy. The BX8s are much better option , Presonus Eris as well.

I'll throw another mic suggestion: AT4040

Great natural sounding condenser, no hype, works well on almost any vocalist.
Alternative would be to find local store that let's you test mics, that way you can find one that complements your voice.

I wouldn't go with Reason for software. Love Studio one and although I've used pretty much everything else I find the workflow best in this one. It also comes bundled on presonus audio cards so you can go that route.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any Shops in Ireland that I'm aware of that allow you to test out condenser mics, certainly not in my county anyways, I'd love to be able to test mics with my own voice, but it seems in my situation I just have to hope for the best.

Nice one for recommending the AT4040

As for Reason, I like it a lot. I've used Pro Tools and Logic Studio in two different studios before and I really didn't like them compared to reason.. I'm mostly an acoustic act, a little bit of punk sometimes....I don't need many bells and whistles, just a good software with a couple of the essentials (pun completely intended).
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd